Personal View site logo
SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50
  • This thread is dedicated to new product from SLR magic. The Anamorphic adapter 1,33x.

will cost $799 for the anamorphic adapter.

Product is on testing phase, but as it says on article product will not change from final design. They need testers pre buyers.

The volunteer test kit contains the following -

• SLR Magic – ANAMORPHOT 1,33 x 50 (RRP $799)
    • SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II is (RRP $499)
    • SLR Magic +0.4 Achromatic Diopter 77mm + SLR Magic +1.3 Achromatic Diopter 77mm (RRP $299)
    • SLR Magic will offer the above set to volunteer testers for a reduced price of $1300.

Link removed. Selling of SLR Magic lenses on P-V is prohibited from now on.

More images will be uploaded soon.

• 109 Replies sorted by
  • Total noob question, I know, but maybe somebody's got two seconds for an answer: Does this anamorphot work exclusively with the 35mm or can it be used on other lenses too? And what characteristics would these lenses have to have? Thanks!

• @ickejohannes That is a really good question. With our 35mm T1.4 CINE II we can have guaranteed performance. With other lenses it takes time to trial and error since not all taking lenses work well with anamorphic adapters. When you push too much or use the wrong taking lens you will end up with vignetting or anamorphic silhouette effect. We tried our lens to work well from 25-60mm with our rated f/2.8. With other focal lengths you will need to stop down the taking lens further than f/2.8. However, this is common for any anamorphic adapter. There are times where you can shoot faster. For example, we have tried our adapter with two 25mm 0.95 lenses that is currently in production and the sharpness at 0.95 is usable. So far there are other adapters we have tried and was not able to shoot at 25mm at 0.95 aperture. Our rating for f/2.8 for 25-60mm focal range for mFT is a very reserved approach as we want to guarantee performance at a given range that will not be questioned.

• And it's already been shown to be better performing than similar adapters available at twice or more the price on ebay.

For example, the Century Optics adapter (which this gets compared to) cannot get usable focus at faster than f/2.8 on a 24mm without help from a diopter.

I don't think any other adapter has been demonstrated to work at near these speeds without serious, serious limitations like dual-focus or telephoto only functionality (or both), because they were designed for 8mm or 16mm cameras and projectors.

• @slrmagic so we have a good cover on 25mm to 60mm on m4/3 sensor. But does this get afected by the filter size in the used lenss.

For example the 24mm rokinon lens has 77mm filteer thread. Will this run ok even if the 35mm cine II has 52mm?

• The difference between a 24mm with a 52mm front thread and 77mm on the Rokinon is mostly blank space. The front lens element isn't abnormally large, it's in a large barrel.

• @endotoxic Volunteer testers will help to test this out. We have tried our adapter to work with our 23mm F1.7 lens on the GH3. Usually it is recommend for the front element of the taking lens to be smaller than the rear element of the anamorphic adapter. It is also recommended for the rear element of the anamorphic adapter to be close to the front element of the taking lens.

• it's not very sharp is it? hmmm.

• @slrmagic i assume the Anamorphic adapter is 52mm inside and outside 77mm?

• @shian compared to what, in what context based on what evidence?

• @slrmagic

I am not comfortable with approach used.
    Where testers buy product and are not very sure about actual quality or that service they will get in case of issues.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev We have been doing that since 2011 starting with the 12mm F1.6 volunteer tester program. In the beginning we offered review units to selected individuals and quite a few people just kept the lens and had no footage and some did not even bother to reply to email. This is very sad and they know who we are talking about. Back then we have a very limited budget to promote our first lenses and it is a very hard hit when reviewers just keep a lens without any review. Our tester program is not like promotional programs where people pass out flyers that does not need to be returned and can be kept for free. Because of these individuals who abused the tester program in the past, we only offer copies where testers buy the product. In this way, more people benefit from the offer as well rather than lets say 5-10 selected individuals.

Since testers are commenting on their experience with a product they actually paid for the reviews are kept very honest too. In the past we have lent lenses to a reviewer and ended up people said his review is biased as people think the reviewer gets paid to review. When the reviewer paid for their own copy of the lens, there is no pressure at all to comment honestly. Sometimes we get a good review and sometimes we get a bad review.

Some companies can afford to give out free review units and some companies can afford to loan out hundreds of review units for free at once. We are not that kind of company. We did not reserve such budget into the price of our lens as we want to keep it affordable.

People who are not sure about the actual quality should not join the program and wait till the lens goes on official sale where they can see samples from volunteer testers.

• @slrmagic

I have no problem with usual approach used by big manufacturers were they demand to return any items reviewed.

If you so like to sell test items, do it in the close mode. Send proposals to the testers you like. Sell them lenses. And wait for reports and reviews.

To be short. Selling or promotion of selling of SLR Magic lenses on P-V is prohibited from now on. In no way it relate to products discussions, they are all welcomed.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev We think you misunderstood what we meant. It was not about we did not demand to return any items reviewed.

It was about some reviewers not reviewing or responding to emails after they received the review unit in the past. Some even told us they have already sold the lens before they have even reviewed it. We do not plan on listing names of the people/reviewers who did this but the problem is not everyone cares to return items upon "demand". We are here in Hong Kong and they are in a different country. What do you suggest we can do?

We did not post a link here to be selling any lenses to be clear. Not sure why it was directed to us. @endotoxic copy and pasted a post on P-V and we did not tell @endotoxic to do so. Intention from @endotoxic seems to be discussion based as the starting statement for the thread opened was "This thread is dedicated to new product from SLR magic. The Anamorphic adapter 1,33x."

• It was about some reviewers not reviewing or responding to emails after they received the review unit in the past. We do not plan on listing names of the people/reviewers who did this but the problem is not everyone cares to return items upon "demand".

I think it is not reviewer issues, more like yours if you select such guys.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Probably it was our issue.

Reviewers who send a passionate email about reviewing our lens with a big plan that turned out to be a scam.

We trusted the wrong reviewers. We learnt and moved on.

• voldemort footage - not very sharp - I don't think Andrew purposely shot everything that soft... And compared to the Panny LA7200 anamorphic it's not very sharp

could just be the diopter

• @slrmagic @vitaly_kiselev my intention was only for general chat.

• @endotoxic

I understand.

But I am really frustrated by @slrmagic, including numerous issues with quality of their products.

• "People who are not sure about the actual quality should not join the program and wait till the lens goes on official sale where they can see samples from volunteer testers."

So does slrmagic consider to make any improvement to their product before going on sale? A volunteer should know before spending money. Besides that I appreciate we can speak to the company and have all the answears at any time. I perhaps will buy the 35mm lens and the adapter, but I think I will wait and see the results :)

• @davjd All improvements that needs to be made is already made during prototype testing period. Volunteers are testing the pre-production lenses which are the same as our final lens design.

@endotoxic was posting with intention for general chat only but it sounded like a link to a sale so to avoid the grey area misunderstanding. We want to maintain a good relationship with PV.

Thanks all for the support and @Vitaliy_Kiselev for offering this platform for us to find out what ANAMORPHIC lens to make.

• @slrmagic I think we are mixing topics now.

I assume everybody here REALLY appreciated the fact you heard users opinions about your forthcoming product.

That's great, and that should always be the way a company works.

Here the complain is not about the quality of your products (Vitaliy went clearly off topic), nor the price, but the way your volounteer campaign is planned. Not allowing the return/refund and forcing to buy the whole set is not a good way of promoting the quality of your product!

If so many people are criticizing this market strategy there could be something true about it, right?

• @slrmagic What about a slightly different approach that still offers you some insurance, while hopefully filtering out the scammers and maximizing feedback & review material.

For example: A purchase/deposit with a catch: You could ask for a deposit that covers your manufacturing costs of the items and then offer a return or percentage of return for different review material produced by the reviewer. A written review could get a certain amount of the deposit back, a video review gets a bigger return, maybe both gets all your deposit back. That way those who don't do reviews end up paying for the items if they don't return them to you, and reviewers who want to keep the lens will make both written and video reviews in order to keep the lens, you can treat it like a marketing expense and have the marketing material and exposure to justify the expense.

You could also add a few requirements:

1. Only offer a limited amount of lenses to the review/feedback project (that way you can be careful not to over-invest).
    2. Applicants should have a webpage, blog or perhaps demonstrable network/exposure to your target market and demographic (DSLR film makers).
    3. Consider an option for those that don't require the taking lens.

If an applicant is a big enough name and is known as trustworthy, you should consider waiving the deposit, as they are likely to give you the best feedback and get the most review exposure.

Another 2 cents in the pot! Personally, I think it's really great that you guys are getting into the anamorphic world and I'm excited to see where it leads!

• Unfortunately, my suggestion doesn't address the problem of no-refund (but still good warranty), which is their current insurance policy against people 'test-driving' the earliest copies of their anamorphic lens. The issue: people who 'buy it' on credit with the full intention of returning it before paying interest on their credit card. This cost SLRMagic in the past, because often it adds wear and/or damage to a lens that is then sent back in for a full refund. For a small company like SLRMagic, I don't think they can realistically be expected to absorb these types of costs, they just don't have the huge sales figures that the big boys have to cover this type of situation, and they currently have no real way to resell a damaged or worn and used returned lenses.

This is the core of the issue that needs resolving for their early phase. Since they are exploring a new company venture (even, dare I say: pioneering it a bit), I think we want to help these guys not only stay alive, but grow. They can offer film makers a lot; I think it's amazing that they directly engage in conversation with their target demographic, so I think as a film makers community, we have the ability to help them navigate this.

• is very sad this end up like this.

:(

• @endotoxic it's not the end my friend, you'll see! SLRMagic wants to figure this out too, if you have any ideas or suggestions to help with the anamorphic venture, you can PM them, they will hear you out!