Personal View site logo
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard

Via: Pentax Forums

• 237 Replies sorted by
  • Lumix GH5?

• Yep, in December. I guess it will be released exactly on the date GH3 finally will be available in shops.

• Interesting. So Panasonic throw in the GH3 to have people waiting? Can imagine what's going to be on it if in fact it's true.

• GH5, this year. Its joke? I'm saving for GH7.

Weeks ago was saying half joke and half serious already working in GH5, truth is stranger than fiction.

Take out that morning for me, so I bought the E-M5 and GH3 half of what they cost today.

• GH5 this year?? 7D MarkII could be interesting. What is the camera you anticipate the most this year Vitaliy?

What kind of magazine does the screenshot show btw? (i just see its from pentax forum, but it looks kinda worn out, like it had been toilet literature for weeks :) )

• What is the camera you anticipate the most this year Vitaliy?

Pentax ones :-)

What kind of magazine does the screenshot show btw? (i just see its from pentax forum, but it looks kinda worn out, like it had been toilet literature for weeks :) )

it is Nippon magazine as I remember

• 43rumors says its just that magazines rumor mill roadmap.

• how can that possibly be true gh5 in december? surely they will let the gh3 have its time in the sun ?! i thought they would refresh it much later like next march?... the fuji xe-2 seems very quick too???

• I know for a fact Panasonic are looking into 4K - could well be 4k in a h265 GH5 we'll be seeing.

• this makes my decision to drop a fat wad of cash on a gh3 difficult if the gh5 then is just around the corner with 4k and other significant improvements (like panasonics new splitter sensor technology) ... hmmmm

• I remember when the GH2 came out, there were rumours that the GH3 was just around the corner... Problem was, the corner was 2 years. I highly doubt the "GH5" will come out anytime soon. Just my personnel view.

• ok, so what happened to the gh4? is gh5 a typo possibly?

• @GravitateMediaGroup GH4 is bad luck in many asian countries. "4" is almost never a model number in any type of consumer product.

• I dont think that Panasonic would be so dumb to release a new camera yet. I am sure they want to profit from the GH3, otherwise a new gh5 with 4k would make the GH3 redudant. Maybe in Dec 2014.

• Theyre going to have to start moving quicker than they have in the past with a high end product (thats for sure) because the competition - as you can see in the chart above - is hotting up. It wouldn't suprise me if they did manage a launch by Dec 2013 - and fingers crossed we get a h265 4K encoder.

• @L1N3ARX They aren't having any trouble with PS4 lol

• E-M7? NEX-9? Sure why not GH5? I can skip GH3. GX2 with built-in evf and Gh5 codec would be interesting.

• Hmm, they first must sell a lot of GH3, than GH3 must be hacked, after our feedback they will come out with GH5 :-)

Can we make a wish list of features already on this thread or it must be new thread ?

• @Bara

"I dont think that Panasonic would be so dumb to release a new camera yet. I am sure they want to profit from the GH3, otherwise a new gh5 with 4k would make the GH3 redudant. Maybe in Dec 2014."

Give the recent massive losses of Panasonic (10 Billion dollars!), Sony and others...and the failure of consumer 3D (part of the reason), they are now pinning their hopes on 4k. They are probably going to bring forward the release of 4k panels, players (Sony Playstation 4) and cameras. The GH5's earlier release could be in anticipation of what's coming from Sony, JVC and Canon later this year. I get the feeling that the GH3 is regarded by Panasonic as a brief stop-gap model...

I recently saw a huge 84 inch 4k panel from LG...and it image was stunning; a totally different experience to 2k. For me the arrival of functional 4k (not JVC multi-card gimmicks) prosumer cameras can't come soon enough!

I think it's also going to shake up the market in a big way...with us little fish the winners. But possibly bad news for RED's lower end market share; and the likes of BMCC...who will still be struggling to solve issues and fill 2k back-orders even as 4k arrives.

@feha

"Hmm, they first must sell a lot of GH3, than GH3 must be hacked, after our feedback they will come out with GH5 :-)"

Ha ha...what happens in the GH2/3 hack community is of zero consequence to Panasonic and their release schedule (as opposed to features). There no doubt are unmarked prototype GH5's out in the wild even today...:-)

• I guess if this really is the case I'm going to sell my gh3 while it still has high value lol

• easy way to know is to wait until NAB and see how factual this chart turns out to be...

• I'm really skeptical we are moving towards 4k this soon. Cameras usually are the last step, Canon 1D C seems an anomally to me. Even if it was the rule, that would mean to me we are taking that "old" photography resolution stupid race approach in video too. And that would be a shame when there are other things so much more important to improve, in my very modest opinion.

@GH2UW There's already a 4k DSLR 8 bit 4:2:2. I'm talking about Canon 1DC. If you think that's better than Blackmagic's 12 bit RAW, and that's general opinion, then at last I can say I don't understand the human race at all. I hope it's not that way.

Even worse, people might really think it is better after 4k TVs marketing advertisements come through. We are turning towards resolution instead of DR, which would mean we've totally forgotten the etymology of the word "photography". Most people don't give a shit about resolution (prior to marketing brainwashing that is), Full HD is ok and there's no money to spend on upgrading again for most families (and things keep getting worse economically). Also, 4k means more bandwidth when up/downloading to the net. DR differences can be seen even at 360p.

And BTW, I'm not saying resolution isn't something that should be improved in the near future. It's just that I don't see it as a major priority right now, as for "where should 'the seventh art' and the human race evolve to" when there's such limited color info and DR with todays 8 bit cameras.

Making cameras with more DR is where the deal is to me. I don't care about 4k 8 bit at all. And lets hope I don't have to care about it - not at least for the next 3 years. We are getting used to seeing less colours, crushed blacks and clipped whites just in favour of sharpness. And that happens just as the human race is losing its ability to distinguish colours. Daltonism and other color related sight issues are on the rise guys. We shouldn't help that happen even faster.

This far I'm leaving appart real resolution, as even most recent 1080p HDSLRs don't actually have 1080 lines of resolution. Lets keep it that way, you get the point.

Would you chose thinner brushes over a bigger color palette? Yeah, I'm that kind of guy...who sometimes writes after drinking too much beer. Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

• @raysito22 yeah, but technology continues to move at a faster pace each day.

• i'm glad i have no gh3, mwahaha. what a fail

• Will the GH5 still be classified as a consumer grade camera by Panasonic though?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions