Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Can someone verify that GH3's eyecup can be separated?

If yes, can 3rd party eyecup like HoodEYE be installed easily?

If yes, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

• @jfilmmaker I agree. I also think the smoke from the candle is doing it.

• Shot video on Wednesday, and…

the GH-3 is vastly superior on skin tones.

RBD

• @surfculture

It is wrong topic to ask this.

• @jennifer2010 Here's a link to a discussion of video-friendly lenses for Panasonic Lumix cameras:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

• jennifer2010 - They aren't going to be cheap if you want constant aperture. I can only recommend the Nikon (having used it) 70-200 f2.8 - It is prohibitively expensive. However, you can usually rent it for around $30-40/day. I love that lens. You won't get IS, though.

• Hello, I' ve just one question for vitally, I read anywhere which GH3's hack come, but do you work on one ? And if your answer is YES, what do you try to improve ?

• @jennifer2010 why would you buy a camera for 2 features, and just like @filmingart said, why wouldn't you just buy a telephoto lens? extel KILLS the resolution. it's handy if you REALLY need it at that second, but to buy a gh3 just for that and wifi is pretty silly. also, I'm sure you must be upset about the fact that there isn't live view while using wifi.

• @jennifer2010 ...or get an adapter for a non-m43-lens you already have, to continue FilmingArt's suggestions.

What fun would it be if the GH3 was perfect right out-of-the-box? Hang around... Maybe we get to hack it. :)

• @jennifer2010

I never even read the Manual and knew from EVERYWHERE that 1080 60fps does not work in Ex Tele mode.... How about you go buy a Canon t4i, 7d, 60d, 6d, 5d etc..... And use that feature, oh those cameras don't even have it.

How about you look at life with the cup half of full instead of empty, if you need a longer range lens buy one.

• "It is stated in manual that is available online :-) as well as many times in all GH3 topics. This is good place to say that you think about such things - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5360/gh3-pessimists-club-aka-dont-cry-for-me-argentina-2#Item_30"

I'm not being pessimistic. I bought the GH3 before I even knew about personal-view and even if I did, I've never read anything that stated the tele conv does not work with 1920x1080/60fps. Nothing in the dozens of YouTube video reviews I watched, which included Panasonic's own sales video where they talked about it. They included the disclaimer that it only shoots jpeg in this mode but failed to say it didn't work with video recording at certain bitrates. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that they disclose this instead of expecting every customer to open up a 300+ page advanced user manual and go on a treasure hunt.

You can understand how frustrating it is for me. I purchased the GH3 for the Wi-Fi and the tele conv only to find out that the wi-fi isn't live view while recording (making it practically redundant) and the tele conv. doesn't work in the format I want to record in. If Panasonic was more transparent in their sales literature people wouldn't be buying their products and getting pissed off after.

• @gpcreative I think the candle light is hitting the under exposed shadow side of the face as a semi-red or orange, and that is causing your grain - the candlight is bleeding into the blacks. Not only that, the candle flame is moving, so that could add further complications. When we look at the shadows by the curtains, they don't appear to suffer the same level of grain as does the face. I think that would strongly explain your results.

• @filmingart

the first song reminds me of some old no limit records stuff lol

• the Ex Tele Conv feature is unavailable while shooting 1920x1080/60p and/or using the slowed frame rates.

It is stated in manual that is available online :-) as well as many times in all GH3 topics.

This is good place to say that you think about such things - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5360/gh3-pessimists-club-aka-dont-cry-for-me-argentina-2#Item_30

• I received my GH3 along with 35-100mm Lumix lens today. All I can say is that I'm really, really pissed off. I was sold on the Ex. Tele Conv. feature that I planned on using for video. Lo and behold, the Ex Tele Conv feature is unavailable while shooting 1920x1080/60p and/or using the slowed frame rates.

I wish they would have stated this somewhere obvious so I didn't have to spend $3,000, spend another hour wondering why it wasn't working, then finally find the disclaimer in the "Advanced" user manual located on the disc the body comes with. F*** you Panasonic, seriously.

• Here's a test I did filming with both the 50 and 72 modes on the GH3. Clearly more noise in the 72 mode, but still plenty in the 50 mode. No Color Correcting was done so kind of surprised about the amount of macroblocking on the wall just because I was trying to create a mood and not just film it very lit.

• BTW did I mention my menu is in Japanese HEHE :0 Loving the camera. I wish it had focus peaking like my Nex5n. Hard to nail focus quick with my style of shooting.

• I shot this with my Panasonic GH3 12-35mm Kit. YouTube decreases the quality. It looks amazing directly from my computer.

• @FilmingArt

I think you are much better to just post videos to Showcase. As it is not review videos, not comparison, etc.

• New Music Video shot using GH3 and Hacked GH2

Viewer Discretion Advised!

• @mankus71, thank you very much for posting the comparison betwen GH2 and GH3.

best regards...

• I recently rented an EM5 and GH3 to see if either would work well for digiscoping (camera mounted on a spotting scope). I was comparing IQ in general using the Pany 20/1.7 on both cameras, and for this test wanted to see what 800 ISO looked like out of each camera. I did my standard light noise reduction on the bird and more on the background, just to make sure I could get it down to an acceptable level, and then light sharpening. Both were shot in raw. The big shock was how much better the IQ was out of the GH3. I didn't even take the EM5 out in the field to test it, and bought a GH3. Here are two shots taken under the same conditions, using a tripod and remote shutter release. I must have had the aspect ratio set differently on the EM5. I'm taking forum members at their word that they want hi-res photos for comparison :-). The first photo is from the GH3, and both photos were taken with the camera mounted on a Swarovski STX95 scope.

P1010525 2013-01-22 13.30 STX95 TEST GH3 800 1500H.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    P1220005 2013-01-22 17.41 STX95 TEST EM5 800 ISO 1500H.jpg
    2667 x 1500 - 2M
  • @manstok Cluster X 'Moon' is what youre missing. Its certainly a great setting.

• So far the most important thing about the gh3 for me is 25p looks as good as 24p; Thats a BIG plus for pal-country. On the gh2 so far I could not get 25p look as good as 24p, or I am missing something..

• Happy owner of the GH3,the F 2.8 12-35 and the 35-100. Figuring this unit out and really looking foreword using it!!

here is a small test video, took the unit out of the box and basically start using it.

PAL version test footage MOV 1920x1080, 50p 50 Mbps @ 40% Frame Rate

e