Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @mee

I enjoyed your video.

I see you have the Nokton 17.5mm f0.95. This is a lens I'm very much interested in, but I'm concerned about reports I've seen about curvature of field. Supposedly when the lens is focused at infinity, it's unable keep the center and edges in focus at the same time. Could you possibly check that out? Thanks.

• SANITY 5.1 UPDATE

I have been shooting exclusively with Sanity 5 for eight months and never had a single problem with it - until last week. Here's a frame grab. Yikes, what a mess!

Over the months, a couple of people reported problems similar to this. At the time, I assumed it was card related. It is not. And to these people, I apologize. But until last week, I had no way to reproduce the problem myself. Although this image breakup is rare, it obviously can happen.

SANITY 5.1 fixes this and prevents it from occuring. I strongly recommend SANITY 5 users install the update.

SANITY 5.1 works reliably in all shooting modes - 24H, 24L, FSH, FH, SH, H, HBR, ETC in all modes, and all variable frame rates.

I did extensive spanning tests of SANITY 5.1 and it's the same as SANITY 5 with one addition - ETC spans when shooting in 24L mode. Here are the patch notes for spanning:

Spanning works in 24L, FH, SH & H modes. When spanning, do not go above ISO 5000. Spanning works with ETC in 24L mode. Do not go above ISO 3200. Spanning does not work with ETC in any other mode. Spanning works in HBR mode with third party manual lenses. Do not go above ISO 3200. Spanning does not work reliably in HBR mode when using lenses with electrical contacts.

Enjoy, and good shooting!

Whata mess.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 419K
    Sanity 5.1.zip
    994B
  • Hey Ralph_B I am 99.9% sure I shot this with Sanity. It was shot using the Nokton 17.5mm. Granted it's a great lens, but I am very pleased with Sanity, and looking forward to what you have coming. I really love Driftwoods settings, but buying a new 2TB HD every few months is not really in my current budget. Please enjoy, and thanks for your great work!

• @FilmingArt

Very sharp and colorful images. Great production value. Just wondering about your workflow. Did you transcode the footage using a codec like Prores or you edited natively? Color grading tool? What lenses did you use?

Cheers

• An important update for Sanity 5 is in the works. It's currently undergoing spanning tests. Stay tuned.

• Yes, ETC gets quite noisy at high ISO's, but Sanity handles it fine. I advise not to use the in-camera noise reduction - it just smears the noise around. The real solution is to use Neat video in post. It works miracles.

Not sure what you're asking in the second question.

• @Ralph_B I've read that ETC increases noise at higher ISOs. What is your experience with that? Also, is there any way to get a full frame motion picture image using the entire sensor?

• @Moviemaker

One other thing - I've had good success getting Sanity 5 to span in ETC when using 24L. I'm not sure it's 100% reliable, but it's pretty good.

• @Moviemaker

First, Sanity does indeed span at 30P (or HBR). The trick is you have to use a third party manual lens. It won't span if you use a lens with electrical contacts. Next, Sanity works superbly in ETC in all shooting modes: 24P, 720 50/60P, 1080 50/60i, and HBR. However, spanning is not guaranteed in ETC. Hope that helps.

• @Ralph_B

I am looking into ETC mode because I like how it extends the range of my lens (for now a stock Panasonic 14-42 power zoom). I know that 30P is a no go for Sanity and spanning, but with 24P, how does ETC and Sanity work in comparison to the normal sensor downsampling?

• @FilmingArt

She's beautiful. Good fun.

• @Ralph_B

New Music Video I shot,directed,edited using GH2 and Sanity 5 hack *Some profanity with song topic, but other wise safe for viewing.

Up beat style with a lot of fast cuts. You can see in some of the early scenes with them in the bedroom I had some bad macro blocking and smearing in the shadows, other than that I loved the quality of the video.

Even if users do not like the Audio or style of editing I encourage to view with an Eye of what was done artistically.

Thanks for viewing.

• @peternap

When I was in high school, my class took a trip to DC and Williamsburg. I put my head in the same block the little girl is in. Memories!

• @Ralph_B Its that time of year again when both cameras stay loaded with Sanity 5.

I shot the Williamsburg Grand Illumination on Sunday with two GH2's a bunch of batteries and 4 64gig 95 mb cards, an AC160, Canon HFG10, Gopro3 Black and 5 Gopro 2's...pretty much continuously from 11:30 AM until 10:00PM.

No big surprises on the GH2'a. They spanned, images were great even after dark and during the fireworks. All manual lenses including Samyang 7.5, 85mm and Canon nifty 50.

1080P 24 all day in both cameras.

Thank you for making my life a little easier again this year Ralph! image

fireworks.png
    1920 x 1080 - 939K
  • @Ralph_B another user said they experienced the same problem with Sanity 5 Hack and the Panasonic 12-35mm lens. There is something with that lens and Sanity 5 that is causing problems.

Regardless I just purchased the GH3.

• @PVI WOW great video! I made a organised round trip there last spring. Beautiful country.

• I think those of us who do this (pixel peepers?) need to remember that the non "pixel peeping" audience does not see the difference between 24H and 24L or lots of other "stuff" we see. I was watching a 720HD TV news show this morning and the moire on the announcers suit was off the charts. Looked like Psychedelia. I said "Wow look at that!" and my wife had no clue. Did not notice it. As Ralph said "normal" folks do not see a lot of the stuff we see.

• @Ralph_B not a pixel peeper... 24L it is! ;-)

• Although the quality difference between 24H and 24L is minimal, there is a difference. Normal people probably won't notice it, but pixel peepers will. I recommend using 24H unless you need to have spanning - ie. recording a single take longer than 12 minutes.

• thanks again all, will follow your advice and stick with 24L hopefully, using the Sanity5 GH2 on a drone will get me much much better video for my next adventure trip than the rather poor quality attached below...:

• @PVI

Only use 24L if you need spanning. Otherwise, use 24H. Simple.

• @PVI and if you need reliable AVCHD 24fps the Cake 2.3 by balazer seems to be very reliable, sofar it was always spanning on my GH2, although with the Sandisk SDXC 95mbs 64GB. I haven't tried if it spans with SDHC 32GB

• @PVI AFAIK, you could use Sanity 5 in 24H for shorts clips without issues (I've shot a couple songs in some concerts this weekend, all in 24H, without any glitch, with a 45MBps card), but it will not spam consistently. Only 24L spans with reliability.

If you don't need span, you could use 24H - but Ralph already said that the quality differences beteween 24H and 24L in Sanity are minimal.

• Thank you both for your quick reply. So that leaves just one question open: Is Sanity 5 only to be used for 24L and not for 24H & other FPS settings, even if I am using a 95MBPS card? Thanks