Personal View site logo
US: Black Monday
  • 77 Replies sorted by

hmmm... 1st leg down. ready for 2nd leg up around 50 weekly moving average? QE3 possibly tonight? what a timing! but then 3rd leg down... usually 3rd leg is the most severe one... smashing toward 9500? That completes 1-2-3-4-5 elliot cycle.

That just seems like one big leg down in much bigger elliot cycle. when the big cycle ends, possibly new low? like some calling dow 5000 and gold 5000. i dont think that can happen unless bond market crashes.
    2011 market crash.png
    704 x 542 - 52K
  • @stonebat

TA does not help much in such situation :-)
  • I know. But the market seems oversold... for now. Short cover rally coming... soon. I can be objective about this. I'm holding nothing. none to gain. none to lose.

TA... shows collective mind. Some call it manipulation. But many times it's more objective than thousand voices. Nothing falls straight. Nothing skyrockering straight up. At least overall market index. It goes zig zag... like a druken man.
  • TA shuts 'em up ....every time

Nice Camera, BTW
  • I bet some nutters in the USA and China are thinking about using the situation for an adventure in Taiwan...but from different perspectives...
  • Vitaly is absolutely right on every account. The only remedy for the rotten bourgeois economy is war. And since no other country but Russia and China (most likely Russia because only Russia has enough nuclear power to stop the Neonazi Democratic Dollar Empire), we are about to see something very dramatic in the near future. Problem is Russia and China are in many aspects vulnerable to the same capitalist illnesses we are discussing here. There is no USSR, no Lenin, no Stalin.... All we are left with is GH2.
  • <<<<<<<<We work so others can lay around on their couch collecting government handouts>>>>>>

And we have the reason America may be doomed, lack of empathy for your own people: demonize a segment of society, isolate them, question their patriotism, next thing you know it's not a country any more, it just a bunch of individuals in bunkers.
  • >it just a bunch of individuals in bunkers

It looks like you already well prepared for future prosperity, made personal bunker :-)

Not bad, 11% in a month.
  • Asia is also fun to watch:

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia

Seoul Composite 1,718.44 -8.08%
  • @brianluce

"And we have the reason America may be doomed, lack of empathy for your own people"

True. When I lived in the USA (Washington DC and LA) I was shocked at the level of poverty/squalor on the fringes of the (then) prosperous cities. Probably much worse now...just heard a BBC report about how many recent veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan are living on the streets!

I liked a lot of the people, but I was glad to get out of there...dopey gun laws; too many macho nutters, religious wackos and rapacious politicians. Now the bills are due.

I fear that a once mildly dysfunctional society is going to soon get seriously dysfunctional...

• @Skeptikal
    I've lived in developing countries and USA and traveled throughout Europe. None have as many homeless as USA. It's plainly obvious that American has discarded and written off large portions of it's society. The political solution is to build more prisons and create stupid legislation like "Three Strikes", but wait! We can make some money while we're at it! Let's privatize the criminal justice system and now instead of prisons, we can have monster factories and get richer off it! Brilliant!
  • @brianluce

It's scary..and very sad. How did it go so wrong? One would think that the very high proportion of fairly fundamental Christianity there would make for a more compassionate and more egalitarian society.

And as far as the resistance to higher tax rates...what political self-serving, vote buying bullshit. Personal tax rates in the USA are incredibly low compared to here in Australia...e.g if someone earns $37k here the 30 percent tax rate kicks in and eventually goes up to 45 percent ($180k). In the USA 30 percent doesn't START 'till about $170k...(and never goes over 35 percent) that's outrageous for the prosperity of the country...given it's Government's state of impoverishment!
  • @Skeptikal,

When or when has Christianity ever been the hallmark of a compassionate or egalitarian society? It's irrelevant. Christianity has just as often stood for a lack of compassion and massive inequality.

As for resistance to higher taxes: I don't think that low taxes per se are the problem. The problem is that the banks (via the interest they charge) and the military (via incessant demands on the public till) get their slices off the top, leaving very little for anything else. There's no reason why the U.S. (or any other country) needs to borrow such huge amounts from the international banking class when they could, essentially, print their own money and stay within a budget. And there's no reason why the U.S. has to have armed military aggression in every corner of the globe. Whether that's blind imperial overreach, or simple greed by wealthy entities who control the political class and who stand to make tons of money by providing financing, or selling weapons and other material (and sometimes both), and having this country be in a perpetual state of war -- I leave to you to decide.

The problems are structural. So are the remedies. Having everyone hold hands singing Kumbaya matters not at all.

• @Roy_Batty

"There's no reason why the U.S. (or any other country) needs to borrow such huge amounts from the international banking class when they could, essentially, print their own money and stay within a budget."

Ha ha...this is great!

I remember my first trip to Cambodia in the 1980's when it was still struggling with a brutal civil war and a basket-case economy. I changed a couple hundred dollars at the airport and suddenly needed a bigger bag for the hyper-inflated funny money than I did for my cameras. That's what happens when you try to solve economic woes by ...printing more money.
  • @Skeptikal,

I think you misunderstood my point.
  • @Skeptikal
    >>>>>>>
    It's scary..and very sad. How did it go so wrong? One would think that the very high proportion of fairly fundamental Christianity there would make for a more compassionate and more egalitarian society.
    >>>>>>>>>

If you ask me, it has a lot to do with demographic shifts. Whites in the USA are slowly being bred out of existence. The Republicans know it and it shows up in their coded rhetoric about "Taking back America" and the Tea Partiers who not coincidentally are about 99.99% white. Whites have owned everything from the beginning so there's a sense of entitlement that it's "Our place" cuz "We pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps and built it" So this big backlash against the new Black President from an opposition party that's on the record as stating they're #1 agenda is defeating Obama. So all they do is obstruct. America is divided. The rhetoric keeps intensifying and probably something will crack eventually. America still can't get its mind around race and the "Self evident" truth that all men are created equal.

• @Roy_Batty

Sorry if I misunderstood...I took what you said literally. But I go along with your other points.

@brianluce

I really need to read up on what the hell this Tea Party thing is all about. At the moment it simply conjures a mental image of the crazy, hilarious Johnny Depp scene in Alice in Wonderland. Maybe it is appropriate...
  • @Skep:
    Tea Party for the most part, is the group formerly known as the Religious Right. They have historically concerned themselves with social issues like anti abortion, anti gay, and that evolution is a great lie and that the earth is 3000 years old. But the election of a Black President transformed the movement and they started waving The Constitution around and yacking about cutting spending and reducing taxes and taking America back. Their anger is palpable and though actually a relatively small group they're well financed by interest groups, it's not a grass roots movement, it's concocted. They've essentially taken control of their own party, which has control of the US congress. Again, when GWB was running up huge debts and financing wars and spending like a demon, the Tea Party didn't seem to mind. But GWB wasn't Black.
  • @brianluce

Thanks for the crash course...I suspected something along those lines from what little I've read.

I also keep hearing more and more commentators (admittedly via the BBC) who are saying the same thing about a Right Wing "agenda" against Obama...because he is not of the desirable (to them) race/color. I find it amazing that they would accept damaging their own country fiscally in order to score points against a Black President.

And that the money making prison Gulag is partly aimed at disenfranchising the poorer Blacks...in an acceptable "get tough on crime" wrapper.
  • So... assuming I can't individually do anything about global collapse, is it good to buy gold? Or just dig a hole and hide until it gets better??!

And @brianluce +1 Always wondered what they were and assumed it was some sort of anti-British thing (based on the original one in Boston). Vaguely comforting to know they're just a bag of assorted nuts.
  • @Vitaliy
    >Amerika und Europa braucht die nächste "new deal", Und dieses "new deal" genannt wird ... großen Krieg.
    great ;)

The crash is good :)
    Papers are not a good value creators
    real work is to add value - back to the roots ;)
  • Calling Tea Party "Racists" and "Terrorists" shows the limited intelligence of those making the argument.

President Obama being disliked has little to do with him being "Black". That comes from your personal bias and prejudice. President Clinton faced MUCH tougher criticism. Obama is disliked because he is BOTH Stupid and Dangerous, when it comes to the overall economy.

How do I know? He was my State representative in Illinois, did nothing financially positive for Illinois, then became State Senator and did nothing again for Illinois, and then became President of the United States...

Per-capita debt in Illinois — including pension and retiree health care obligations — is 48th highest of the 50 states... nice track record! So by all measurable financial metrics, he is STUPID when it comes to fiscal matters.
    So why expect him to be magically qualified to manage the financial affairs of the USA capitalist system when he had no positive track record?

Obama also does not care about the growth of the Private sector unless it politically benefits him directly. He only supports Government and Union growth since he's only been a Lawyer/Politician and not a Businessman, so he punishes and demonizes Private sector NO MATTER THE COST to Entire US Economy.

That's why he's so Dangerous...
  • >Obama is disliked because he is BOTH Stupid and Dangerous: :(((

I bought 2010 a house on the Baltic Sea: this was the right decision!