Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @trevmar When I installed the firmware on both my cameras, the site asked me to enter a Wifi name and password for each. Did you download via the site or manual update?

• I did a manual update as I don't have Java on my browser - it is a security risk :) Thanks for the info, though. Seems I did it the hard way (tried to use the Cineform Studio software to recognize the camera). Have you gotten a preview on 2K7 or 4K yet?

• @trevmar Haven't gotten a chance to do anything besides update the firmware before I left for work. I'll be playing around with everything at lunch and after work. Need to get some 3D test footage, too, but the stupid weather in the "Sunshine State" has been cloudy/rainy for well over a month now... -_-

• I was thinking about your 3D setup last night, and particularly how the loss of frame sync between the cameras might interfere with the brain's position locating during inter-frame motion blur. How have you found this working out for you?

• Haven't tried anything yet because of the weather. I won't be doing long shoots, anyway. I hear the drift isn't significant on clips of a minute or two (at least with the GP2).

• Hey y'all. Lucked out and got one at Best Buy last week. Been doing some tests to see if I can use it as a b-cam on some newsy, docu, corporate pieces. Here is a very rough test using a Steadicam Smoothee and Lock and Load for image stabilization. Also used After Effects Optics Compensation for fisheye removal. It does a much better job than any of the other plugins I tried. Shot in Protune, 2.7k, at 23.98.

• Hi - does the new app/firmware allow to view recorded footage?

• @5thwall Awesome test! Your weather looks similar to mine. ;) I'll be setting up my steadicam and monopod for tomorrow at the track. And yeah, I love the look with the distortion corrected. I do it to all my GoPro vids since I learned about Optics Compensation, and the Black corrects even better than the GP2. It does get a bit blurry on the sides from all the stretching, though.

@Hallvalla Right now, only in the standard HD formats. 2.7K and 4K are not viewable, just like on the LCD Touch Bacpac or through HDMI.

• @BlueBomberTurbo So if I shoot something at 1080p 60fps, I can view it on the phone app? I'm talking about the recorded footage.

• @Hallvalla Honestly, not sure, but I've read that people have been able to play back vids at anything but the two super high res settings.

• I can't figure out how to do playback on iPhone after the updates. Anyone successful?

• @Hallvalla I can play back 2.7K on the Touch LCD. With audio. It is OK for a quick check everything was recorded OK :) Haven't tried 2.7K into HDMI monitor yet.

(3 quick taps on the Touch LCD take it into playback and back to shooting. That's my empirical method - there may be a better way of switching)

• Rendering my first 3D test right now, synced with PluralEyes. The new firmware kind of killed the sync that the old one had. They don't beep or start in unison anymore.

Also learned that you need to stand at least 4ft away from things, or the things in the foreground will mess you up. This is with about 3" spacing of the cameras.

BTW, for anyone who wants to remove distortion from photos, Adobe Camera Raw does it perfectly with these settings:

Lens Corrections > Profile Setup: Custom Make: Sigma Model: Sigma DC 4.5mm f/2.8 HSM Profile: Adobe (Sigma DC 4.5mm f/2.8 HSM) Distortion: 200

Lens Corrections > Manual Distortion: +100

Then you just need to correct the Vertical to whatever you like, crop the image, and it's perfectly defished! This is done in the most current version of Camera Raw, 7.3, but you can do it in any version as long as that lens profile is available.

• @BlueBomberTurbo how do you open up the video clips with camera raw? is it quicker to render than using after effects and optic compensation?

• @5thwall That's for photos. It's more of a PITA to correct video inside Photoshop. After Effects is way more powerful, even if rendering takes a bit.

• Does anybody know what the newest firmware adds to the camera other than smartphone compatibility? I have noticed that now 720/120 has the option of wide & narrow (narrow being the update) is there a list somewhere?

no playback capability through smart device, unless I am missing something.

• SOME BATTERY MEASUREMENTS - running the Black using USB power, with battery idling...

Through the GoPro supplied USB cable (0.27 ohms), a 5V supply does not provide enough power to fully supply the camera. A little will still be drawn from the camera battery. Here are my measurements of voltage and current drain at 1080M 24T (with Touch LCD) from my variable bench power supply:

4.90V = 340ma used

5.00V = 410ma

5.10V = 500ma

5.25V = 630ma (670 when filming)

6.00V = 560ma

So the camera needs a 5.25V input voltage if you are to avoid draining the internal battery. Above that voltage the switching supply inside the camera works fine (as you can see from the 6V reading).

The reason I noticed this is that I built a DIY adapter to run the Black from a GH2 / FZ200 battery, and I noticed that there was still some drain from the camera's battery. When the voltage of the adapter is tweaked to 5.30V the internal battery maintains its charge OK, and from a GH2 battery you get about 2 hours of 1080 Protune filming (with the Touch LCD attached) before the internal camera battery has to kick in. The Touch LCD drains about 150ma.

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5393/diy-adaptor-for-gh2fz200-battery-to-power-usb-of-gopro-3

IMO this is a Hardware limitation, not a software issue. The camera was in 1080M 24T. At 2.7K 24T the camera drain rises to 750ma (incl LCD). WiFi is an additional 45ma.

• Some interesting stuff I just discovered: there are modes you can access via the app that aren't available directly from the camera. You can now use 1080p60 and 720p120 in Narrow FOV with Protune. Great if you don't want the fisheye angle or distortion. Still has a little, but nothing detrimental to image quality like correcting Wide FOV (blurs around the edges). Might be more stuff in there I haven't found yet, either.

• Nice find, BBT.

• Do we know which settings (resolution, frame rate) is best for low light fist position. in terms of noise?

• 24fps in 2.7K will be best. Add Protune with CamRAW WB if you want to make it even better in post.

• Thanks. is there a big difference in that meter between 25 and 24fps?

• Nope, it's just based on the amount of light it lets through. 24/25/30 is superior to 48/50/60, which is superior to 100/120. And don't even bother with 240 at night ;) Unless you absolutely need slow motion, or dislike motion blur more than noise, stick with 30fps and slower at night.

• BBT, can you elaborate? Are you talking about Protune installed in Black edition by default?

• With Protune off, you can get 1080p Wide, Medium, and Narrow, and 720p in Wide and Narrow. With Protune On, you can only get 1080p Wide and Medium, and 720p Wide. With the App, you can get back both 1080p and 720p Narrow with Protune on. Both my cams and app are updated to the newest versions.