Personal View site logo
US: Debt solution found
  • Jamen Shively, a former Microsoft executive, plans to spend the next year researching and building a retail marijuana business that he hopes will bring legitimacy to a long-illegal industry.

"By creating the category of premium marijuana, we want to position it similar to a fine cognac, a fine brandy, a fine cigar," Shively said. "Something to be savored and enjoyed in small quantities by responsible adults.

It will be legal for adults 21 and older to possess marijuana in Washington state starting Dec. 6.

The state of Washington estimates it will make about $2 billion over the next five years on marijuana taxes alone.

"The buzz is in the air," Shively said. "This is a new industry in the making, and it's going to be a giant industry and the state of Washington is going to lead the way."

Via: http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/former-microsoft-executive-plans-premium-pot-busin/nTKds/

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Does it come with Grande Caffe Mint Mocha?

• This is my home city, and I have to admit this news has me a little more eager to visit home. Not that Seattlites haven't been enjoying the herb with little restriction/fear since before I was born. It is after all "The Evergreen State", but knowing I no longer have to look over my shoulder in the more populated areas is a very nice idea, assuming they don't over regulate. FYI the herb has always been a very strong part of the Economy in the Evergreen state, but now presumably the government will make more from direct sales than they did from a clogged court system and shady dealings.

@stonebat, why do you think we have so many coffee shops? Gotta stay motivated ;)

• It would make so much sense to do this nationwide, but with all the cash that the US spends to fight marijuana it will probably have a huge problem getting passed (in the short term only hopefully).

Imagine what it would be like if the billions spent towards fighting weed were spent on education, or healthcare?

• @mee, how's the government going to make more when federal law say it's still illegal?

• Imagine that the 60% of all prisoners who are in jail for non-violent marijuana related offenses were set free.. That's a lot of money saved right there..

• California experienced a 20% drop in juvenile crime, just from decriminalization. So stupid to ruin a kids life if he gets busted for weed.

• Right, for many or most people in Washington, it's about decriminalization and being reasonable about prosecution. A prominent former US District Attorney wrote the For statement in the state voters' guide. It remains to be seen how the FG will respond, however, almost all prosecution and enforcement was handled at the local level. When the measure passed, all pending cases were dropped (and it would appear no new ones were prosecuted) so for all intents and purposes, it's been legal here for the past month. I think the fact that Colorado also voted to legalize puts this into interesting territory.

Hey @mee I didn't realize you were also in Seattle. Have we me IRL?

• @HillTop1 I was refer-ring to the state government not federal. My understanding is there is going to be a state tax on sales. Of course it is also going to be legal to grow personal in limited quantity, so it will be interesting to see how many actually use the state licensed sales sites. I definitely think many will opt for buying it over the counter, but again it is a huge part of life in those parts that isn't going to magically go out of the hands of local growers anytime soon, and many growers rightfully will be skeptical about becoming state licensed growers due to the obvious potential of federal interference which has already been seen in medical dispensary's. It will be very interesting to see how pricing is affected over the next few years, and how they deal with the mobs of out of staters wanting to come buy some legal weed.

@Douglashorn, I am actually in Japan these days, but it is definitely possible. Where are you from?

• @mee - I'm in Seattle.

You're right that the taxes will be collected at the state level. A fairly hefty 25% at each of three levels of growing, wholesaling, and retail. However, there is no provision for people to grow their own. The Colorado law does allow for this, I believe.

• @DouglasHorn Yeah, I doubt it would have passed in Washington with any sort of tax on individuals growing for themselves. This would have opened a serious intrusion door, and the laws were already pretty relaxed on personal growing so long as you keep to the maximum number of plants. Same with Oregon, Cali, and I am sure other states, though the number varied from each state. Something allot of people don't get, it was never a criminal offence if you kept it under the limit, and the fine was pretty much the same as that of getting caught with under an ounce, ie an infraction, at least last I checked. Unfortunately this is not common knowledge though, so many make the mistake of growing 10 or 20 plants, and get the big charges thrown at them.

• So stupid to ruin a kids life if he gets busted for weed.

The U.S. has 5% of the world's population, but 25% of the world's prison population. We're the most punitive society on earth, and for non-violent and often victim-less offenses.

But since there's a huge "incarceration" industry, you get perverse outcomes, where prison guard unions, state and local law enforcement and private prison corporations lobby for long prison sentences, because it means more revenue and more jobs. And, of course, grand-standing politicians who want to show they're "tough of crime" (except for their own, or the kind committed by bankers). By his own account, Obama smoked lots of weed in his day, but his Justice Department wants to put thousands people away for exactly the same offense -- even when it means overriding state law.

Disgusting....

• @JRD What you say is all true of course. The Prison Industrial Complex. Don't forget the privatization of prison. Big business! There's gold in them chains! Also, Obama has recently signaled an easing of the fed's crackdown on pot use/sales.