Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Extended whip pans without camera op in video?
  • Does anyone know how to do long-duration whip pans without getting the camera operator in the shot? I've seen some videos (sorry, I don't remember where.. probably in some wedding vids and others) where the camera can seemingly spin around 360-degree on it's vertical axis and the camera op does not appear in the shot. I guess you could say that you can put the camera on a tripod and have the operator duck below the lens... but it was most likely filmed on a steadi/glidecam stabilization platform.... so no where for op to hide from lens :)

I've seen filters to simulate whip pans but it does not appear to be the same thing. Usually a whippan filter motion blurs the video horizontally as it transitions from one shot to another to simulate the whip pan effect. But this is not the effect I saw in the video.

From what I can remember, the video was original shot on a wide lens as I remember there was barrel distortion. As the camera was whip panning, there was definitely streaking and motion blur as the camera went around. The barrel distortion was still there during the whip pan so it was like as though no filter effect was used at all.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • A motorized rotative plate ? Don't know the english word, but there is several thing like that... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BBN330 This one is more expensive because there is some options (speed control, reverse rotation, etc). There is a lot of thing like that, more little, or without options for few bucks on the bay. But maybe I didn't understand your request. :-)

• With whip pans I think the cut is noticeable, just very satisfying. Something totally seamless like this...I'm not sure: