Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
iMacs now with Haswell
  • Apple® today updated iMac® with fourth generation Intel quad-core processors, new graphics, next generation Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage options. The updated iMac brings the latest technology to the stunningly thin design and gorgeous display of the world's leading all-in-one desktop.

"Inside its ultra-thin aluminum enclosure, the new iMac has the latest Intel processors, faster graphics, next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage."

"iMac continues to be the example that proves how beautiful, fast and fun a desktop computer can be," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Inside its ultra-thin aluminum enclosure, the new iMac has the latest Intel processors, faster graphics, next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage."

The entry-level 21.5-inch iMac features a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and new Iris Pro graphics for unprecedented levels of integrated graphics performance. The high-end 21.5-inch model and both 27-inch models feature quad-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 3.4 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 700 series graphics with twice the video memory and up to 40 percent faster performance than the previous generation.* Customers looking for the ultimate in performance can upgrade to quad-core Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.5 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M series graphics with up to 4GB of video memory.

iMac now supports next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi. When connected to an 802.11ac base station, iMac delivers wireless performance that is up to three times faster than the previous generation.

The updated iMac now features support for PCIe-based flash storage that makes Fusion Drive and all-flash storage options up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation.* The popular Fusion Drive option combines the large storage capacity of a hard drive with the high performance of flash to deliver shorter boot times and faster access to apps and files. Customers can configure their iMac with a 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, and all-flash storage options are now available in configurations up to 1TB.

iMac comes standard with 8GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive, and customers can choose to configure their iMac with up to 32GB of memory and up to a 3TB hard drive. iMac also comes with two Thunderbolt and four USB 3.0 ports for connecting to external storage and other high performance peripherals.

Continuing Apple's commitment to energy efficiency and the environment, iMac meets stringent Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves an EPEAT Gold rating.** iMac features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iMac includes PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, and uses highly recyclable materials and material-efficient packaging designs.

iMac ships with OS X® Mountain Lion, bringing Messages, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, AirPlay® Mirroring, Dictation, Game Center and the enhanced security of Gatekeeper to your Mac®. With iCloud® built into the foundation of OS X, Mountain Lion makes it easier than ever to keep your content up to date across your Mac, iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch®.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac is available today through the Apple Online Store - http://www.apple.com.

• The 21.5-inch iMac is available with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.2 GHz and Intel Iris Pro for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US);
    • with a 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US).
    • The 27-inch iMac is available with a 3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 755M for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US);
    • with a 3.4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.8 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US).

Check more at http://www.apple.com/imac

oly3.jpg
    800 x 436 - 73K
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • No touch no 4k, like they patented years ago. Rubbish.

• If apple is so concerned about recycling why don't they come up with a way to use the monitor of your old imac on a new imac. After 4 years my imac needs an upgrade but the screen is fine. It is the one thing i never understood about imacs, after 4 years you throw away a perfectly good screen!

• @andrevanberlo

To be short - It's a Mac!

• Yeah, true... I like the OS mostly but the hardware restrictions are an expensive quirk.

• relax - I got nearly a grand for my old iMac when i traded it in.

http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/

• @Mystery This is about the iMac, not some unusably oversized touch computer for 5000$ running iOS

• @andrevanberlo and macs have the best resale value for private sale.

• I still have all my Macs including my old G4 which houses my Korg Oasys PCI Synth Card under OS 9. IF you feel you don't need an old Mac the resale market is always hot. Last thing to worry about is what to do with an old Mac :)

As for these new machines I think they're pretty cool. I actually can see bringing this to my remote TV Show shoots. We do a local TV show here and i've used laptops and iMac's before. I would like the larger screen and power of the iMac on set and these new iMac's are much more portable than you'd think.

I love the upgrade options in that you can really pump up the processing power for video work. Not a bad trade off at all. I know my wife would love one. She's been working on iMacs for years doing light video and graphics work. These new ones would blow hers away.

• @Pechente

No magical computer, just the one they have been refusing to release for the last three years. I've waited for a long time for Apple to get over self glory and release a descent upgrade. This is not the Apple we know and love. HP had the machine in question without 4k 2 years ago, if hp release a z series workstation like it I might buy.

One of the real reasons they did not release it is they apparently reconsidered and wanted to make it the ahead of time model of the TV series. Then the TV series had supply problems and the old technology psnrl yeild didn't come up to scratch. So unnecessary delays in redoing the iMac line. You don't appreciate how incredibly annoyed I am about this, 6 years ago 4k screens were due and Apple could easily have done it, the designs were there, even with some panels available.

But notice how they just slipped this one out before the Mac pro and behind the iPhone. They are likely going to release the non magical old tech iMac touch ITV or what, after the Mac pro so not yo detract, and the TV's next year. So late this year to mid next year the IMac touch. and early to late next year the TV line (if its supply is right).

You want something slightly over the top, give us 16k large Surface table with x cores, with classes free 3d. An upgraded version if the table which apple talked about many years ago.

Just sick of this feet dragging by the 'top company/ innovator'. Just tell everybody if you are not going to do the most innovative products anymore.

• @shian thanks for that link! Gives me a good starting point. Now I know what I can get for it at least. (it's not a grand :-) @5thwall I'm looking into private sale now, where I live not too many iMacs are sold 2nd hand so my guess is mine won't sit around for long on ebay :-)