Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HDMI Current draw on GH2 stops camera
  • I had a funny thing happen while filming today. I setup the cams, then plugged in my new Neway HMDI monitor. The GH2--which was on DC--gave me the "you can't use this battery message". I've never seen that one before, anyone else? Or is it just totally random. I'm wondering if the HDMI can cause a current drop under certain conditions.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Here's some more info-- I was using 8.4 volt power supply, and I changed it to one closer to 9 volts Also, I cut the stock fake battery wires and hard wired them with silver solder to the power supply (checked the polarity three times before soldering, just in case).

I'm not sure whether it was the current or an iffy connection, I hate those little power connectors, so I had meant to solder them any way, So far, the problem has not recurred. It could be that over time the sleeve lost contact with the pin.

It could be that when the HDMI is plugged in, it draws a tiny amount of current momentarily, not sure at this point what the cause is.

One of the flaws in the design is that the battery cannot be used as a backup. On my Fostex FR2LE, it will usually keep running in the event of a power failure.