Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Intel 22mm Baytail, chinese and other cheap WIndows tablets strike back

The Intel Bay trail-t will come in 4 models Z3770, Z3770D, Z3740 and Z3740D respectively. All the processors will have an L2 cache of 2MB.The Intel Bay Trail-t SoC has also shifted to the Intel HD Integrated graphics. The Intel Atom Bay Trail-t processors will support a maximum display of 1920×1600/2560×1600 and a minimum display resolution of 1366×768

Though the Bay Trail-t Intel Atom SDP is given the TDP which is the actual practical wattage is not given. However the Z3770 and the Z3770D processors will have a clock rate of upto 2.4 Ghz whiles the Z3740 and Z3740D will have a maximum clock rate of upto 1.8 Ghz for each core.

Via: http://vr-zone.com/articles/bay-trail-t-coming-september-11/49425.html

intel.jpg
    621 x 426 - 41K
    intel2.jpg
    800 x 273 - 48K
    intel1.jpg
    646 x 484 - 126K
  • 22 Replies sorted by
  • I'm so happy to see an Atom variant which finally supports more than 4G of RAM. I'd been considering a switch to a Haswell i3 for my home server since ZFS loves RAM - looks like Bay Trail-M might be a power-friendly alternative!

• I'm so happy to see an Atom variant which finally supports more than 4G of RAM. I'd been considering a switch to a Haswell i3 for my home server since ZFS loves RAM - looks like Bay Trail-M might be a power-friendly alternative!

Any reason to be worried for home server efficiency? As difference will be tiny even with Sandy Bridge, if proper energy saving is enabled.

Plus Baytail-T is aimed at tablets. I doubt that it'll be available in ITX boards.

• Intel currently prices Bay Trail-T-based processors at around US$20-30; however, vendors believe that if Intel is willing to drop the price to US$15, it would have a great chance of turning the tables on ARM-based chipmakers such as Qualcomm, MediaTek and Nvidia.

The Bay Trail-T/Windows 8.1 platform will be shipped starting the end of October, while the Bay Trail-T/Android 4.2 platform is set to be released in mid-November.

The sources pointed out that MediaTek is offering its ARM-based solutions at around US$15. If Intel can offer a similar price, it would allow the CPU maker to rise to the same level as others in the game, the sources explained.

Interesting how few dollars can decide product fate.

via: DIGITIMES

• nuc14.jpg
    611 x 404 - 74K
    nuc15.jpg
    800 x 417 - 104K
    nuc16.jpg
    597 x 378 - 39K
    nuc17.jpg
    598 x 378 - 32K
    nuc18.jpg
    597 x 375 - 37K
    nuc19.jpg
    598 x 376 - 32K
    nuc20.jpg
    598 x 374 - 32K
    nuc21.jpg
    596 x 376 - 34K
    nuc22.jpg
    598 x 376 - 32K
    nuc23.jpg
    596 x 374 - 32K
  • Chinese firms started to make BT based Windows 8.1 tablets

Prices start from around $300 for 10" tablet (inc shipping).

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=Z3740D++tablet&catId

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=pipo+w1&catId=0

• Among global top-7 PC brand vendors, only Apple (sixth place) still outsources its tablet orders mainly to Taiwan-based EMS providers and ODMs, while the rest - Lenovo, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Dell, Acer, Asustek Computer and Toshiba - have gradually shifted their entry-level tablet design and manufacturing to China-based makers.

Interesting.

• It is VERY serious

Intel has resorted to an aggressive pricing strategy to promote sales of its tablet-use processors, particularly in China, a move which apparently will take on Qualcomm and MediaTek, while ramping up its market share, according to industry sources.

Prices of Intel's mainstream quad-core tablet CPUs have dropped to below US$5, which are almost on par with those offered by China-based chipset suppliers such as Rockchip Electronics and Allwinner Technology and even below those available from Nvidia, Qualcomm and MediaTek, said the sources

Consequently, the number of Intel-based tablets is likely to expand in a great proportion as more and more China-based brand and white-box tablet vendors are expected to use Intel's tablet CPUs to develop new products, the sources revealed.

Intel's new policy also focuses on deepening its relationship with the supply chain in China, highlighting by its recent announcement of establishing an Intel Smart Device Innovation Center in Shenzhen and a US$100 million Intel Capital China Smart Device Innovation Fund, commented the sources.

Intel aims to ship 40 million tablet CPUs in 2014, including entry-level Bay Trail family and SoFIA 3G platform products, the sources noted.

Huh. Bad news for some guys.

Add to this fully free licensed Windows 8.1, cheap and ready designs and components and it is quite a set.

• Sales of Windows-based tablets in Japan have been rising as vendors have been aggressively releasing Windows 8.1-based 8-inch models since October 2013. In February 2014, 15.7% of Japan's tablet sales were contributed by Windows-based models, up significantly from a year ago.

Surprise.

• In order to help vendors and makers adopt Bay Trail-Entry, Intel has offered tablet reference designs based on the platform, including 7-inch models equipped with its Atom Z3735G and 8-inch with the Atom Z3735F, the sources said.

Intel's efforts in tablet processors is to gain market influence rather than to profit, the sources claimed. For entry-level tablets, Intel is expected to face strong competition from MediaTek and China-based IC design houses, and consequently processor prices will drop, the sources indicated.

It seems like they also want to play in cheap Android tablets niche.

• yes, but iPad has many more apps available than any of these other tablets.

• yes, but iPad has many more apps available than any of these other tablets.

I am hard to upset you, but if you do not have infinite money and want something more or less functional and serious - Windows tablet is much more preferable.

Btw, Android is now 80% of the market and even 95% of the market in many countries. Hence developers are focused now to port all that was not ported yet. Speed is big here also.

And yes, you can run Android apps on Windows using certain app :-)

• i think that tablets are like video cameras. all of them offer something different that the competitors don't have. i once read that India was planning to develop an incredibly cheap laptop that could be affordable to everyone.

• i think that tablets are like video cameras. all of them offer something different that the competitors don't have.

Yep, but if you are not rich and with high demands it is best to have Windows one.

i once read that India was planning to develop an incredibly cheap laptop that could be affordable to everyone.

Yep, worst crap.

• some of the ipad mini models are under 300$. it's not that bad. you don't need to be rich. the only time this stuff gets really expensive is if you constantly upgrade and buy the latest models. if you hang on to it for several years, it's a worthwhile investment.

• some of the ipad mini models are under 300$. it's not that bad. you don't need to be rich.

And? It is old and slow original iPad Mini. Add to this good paid apps you need to fully match Windows tablet. And you'll spend 2x-3x and still won't get many features (like good media applications and players due to restrictions) :-)

• Copy or iPad Mini Retina

• All tablets priced below US$250 can have Windows 8.1 with Bing royalty-free

Fun. So it is no restricted by screen size now.

• Huh, something is up with 14mm process

Future entry-level Intel desktop and mobile processors will utilize so called "Braswell" core, that will be built on 14nm technology. The Braswell SoCs will feature 2 or 4 "Airmont" CPU cores, capable of out-of-order execution, and 8th generation graphics with 16 Execution Units. The processors are going to replace current generation of "Bay Trail-M" and "Bay Trail-D" budget products.

Originally, Braswell SoCs were scheduled for Q1 2015 release date. In July, we reported that the launch have been pushed to at least March 2015, and possibly to April or May 2015. As we recently learned, the processors have been delayed by another quarter. Current "Ready To Ship" dates of Braswell microprocessors are June - August 2015.

• Surprise

Intel's tablet AP shipments enjoy an over 300% increase in 2014 and for the first time, Intel ranked number one in the non-iPad tablet AP supplier market on an annual basis