Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Corrupted files
  • Hi all! I know the problem below is somewhat common when it comes to the hacked GH2:s but from what I can tell by reading through a LOT of the topics regarding these issues; my problem might be more rare.

So, I wrapped a day of shooting in the studio with a band. During the day there was an unexpected power off in the camera, and after putting in a fresh battery I could only view about 25% of the clips in playback shot during the day. I did not panic, since this had happened before without any data actually being lost when copying over to the editing computer; even after continuing the shoot post-power off.

So I did, I continued the shoot. And when I got back to the office to backup the material, the files where back. So far so good.

BUT, after copying over about 40% of the material I was greeted by a prompt asking me to format the card since it couldn´t be read. The file system is "unrecognizable" after this point and I´m not even able to open the card to view the files; even though I obviously managed to get 40% of the material prior to this and those files were unscathed.

I´m not able to run the AVCCAMRecovery from Panasonic since the card is not considered a "card", it has no file system. The card is 64Gb 95Mb/s SDXC, the camera as mentioned before: hacked GH2.

So I guess my first question is this: Is there any way to save the rest of the material without formatting or do I need to format the card and hope some good recovery software can save some fragments?

Secondly, why did it happen? The adapter I use between my card and the computer has a nasty tendency to break the link during the copy-process, maybe this has something to do with it?

Thirdly: I´d understad if the file I was recording just prior to the power off would be unreadable, but 60% of ALL material?! This includes video captured BEFORE the actual power off too.

Hope you guys can help! I´m actually in need of quick answers since we're going to keep shooting today, thankful for any reflections!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • @Kathaugnir

I call it breaking all possible rules dealing with cards.

I mean here "So I did, I continued the shoot", "BUT, after copying over about 40% of the material I was greeted by a prompt asking me to format the card since it couldn´t be read.", "The adapter I use between my card and the computer has a nasty tendency to break the link during the copy-process".

In case of any, even possible issue, put card in holder and use appropriate software to read contents. Never use this card again.

As for your issue - check topics about software used to restore SD cards,

• Thank you Vitality_Kiselev for your frankness!

I´ll check into the info provided.

• Update: What worked for me in the end was to format the card and run Panasonics AVCCAMRecovery. It dug up a lot of shit from previous gigs including the lost footage. From what I can tell at this point; it seems I have lost little or no footage.

Lesson learned today: Take some time pumping the internet for info on proper card-handling. Thanks again Vitality_Kiselev for your time!

• If you don't want to lose files in the future, another good idea is to use only original Panasonic batteries (never 3rd party). Check our topics about that too....

• @Kathaugnir Welcome aboard and good luck with the shoot! (Why not use an A/C adapter if you're using sticks?)