Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • gh2 is like a fender guitar series that sound grate from some special year. they cant be sold for nothing,the image aquired from this low cost monsters is very original and has its own look.

• Moon t7, Before and after. I use davinchi resolve for grading. :)) I like this hack, really strong thing. http://yadi.sk/d/zb7GREQmHwBZL check the full hd video quality in 40 mbps (65 mb file size)

4nhl.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 543K
    2-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 972K
  • @driftwood thank you for the details, i understand and you're right about GH2, a real gem and it's really more than what i need for now. i'll check moon t8 when it's done!

@endotoxic yes, a stratocaster ;)

• wow, Vimeo really degraded the embed version especially, please view directly from Vimeo..

I agree that they are fuckin brilliant cameras, will never sell mine - this is my first test of Moon T7 which happened to be nighttime. Sorry about the hand held footage - I shot while on break as a musician at Four Seasons, Maui so couldn’t look too conspicuous! So cool that I could just put the GH2 into my fanny pack with the 20mm f1.7 - the small size of this camera and lens can be a real advantage!

Anyhow, I am indeed impressed with Driftwood’s Moon T7 hack & look forward to shooting in day light! There are a number of clips that I shot here on purpose to challenge in terms of aliasing & moire but I think the GH2/Moon T7 did an excellent job - much better than the GH3 in this area as well as with noise. The footage looks much better before Vimeo upload, also note that here are overhead fans in some of the clips which create flickering in the light which could be misinterpreted.

Question - In the “Creative Movie” menu I chose “24P Cinema” assuming it is the highest bit rate. I already read in this post that “High Bit Rate” (HBR) is a lower bit rate but am not sure what the “Manual Movie Mode” in this menu is in terms of bit rate? One more question please: When I export for Vimeo I just choose the 1080P share option in FCPX which is described for uploading to such sites. Is this my best option for retaining as much quality after Vimeo does it’s thing or is it better to export say in ProRes 422(HQ) and let Vimeo deal with that?

• I have a set of vintage lenses (Nikon Ai 28mm f2.8, Nikon Ais 35mm f2, Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4 and Canon FD 85mm f1.8) these lens would be softer than some of my Panasonic and Olympus lenses. Moon t7 would do an excellent job with my sharp lenses but would anyone recommend a hack for these softer primes?

Thanks in advance

• Have you tried sharpening + 3 @johnhizzle

• @johnhizzle

Try out Moon T-4.....

• True. Moon T4 has sharper luma frequency values in the matrix

• @driftwood Nick are you almost done with Moon T-8? I am eagerly awaiting this release ;-)

• Nearly. Just got so much going on at work plus the GH4 is taking a large part of my free time. I will endeavour to finish off HBR stuff and tightening a few 24p items asap.

• @driftwood, are you able to make any comments about T8 yet as far as what types of different characteristics you are shooting for or anything?

• sedna 720p

• moon t7 20mm 1.7 (24p - hbr)

• Moon T7 has been great for me. BUT I did a music video last night with it. But it stopped recording at around 4-mins. And this happened about 3 or 4 times. Does the Moon T7 have a recording limit? It screwed me up cause this video I did was 5 mins long and the GH2 stopped at 4 mins.

• I had the same problem on 32gb 45mbs cards, it usually stops after 4 minutes of record time. 64 gb 95mbs doesn't seems to have this problem for me but on the other hand it sometimes has the "file number limit exceeded" problem usually after half the card is full. Not a problem for doing short films since we make backup after each sequences but it can be a real pain when doing some interviews or shooting a music band concert, wedding...

• But I do use the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-1 SDXC 95mbs. And it was stopping right at 4 mins. Even when I formatted the card before shooting.

This wouldn't have been a problem if the music track wasn't around 5:30 minutes. Any ideas about this?

THanks

• @driftwood why there is no Moon T6 ? From T5 directly to T7? i mean is there any reason to skip Moon T6? and sir is this the last patch. i heard that Moon T8 is gonna be the final patch for GH2. thats exciting. will you share few info About Moon T8?

• @raf702

Although the quality with T-7 is awesome in my experience it is not as stable as T-5. I had the same exact experience that you have, except it was a talking head type of interview and this is with 2 GH2 cameras rolling. The scene was basically an overexposed white backdrop that caused the both cameras to stop recording. So depending on the scene that you are filming you may experience a failure in the recording.

@GeoffreyKenner I was using 64GB 95/Mbs cards so no it is not the cards, also I formatted each card with SD card formatter in my computer, and then formatted the cards in camera prior to the recording to help prevent any issues whilst recording. On top of that I was using manual lenses a 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 the electronic lenses increase the chance of having issues with the higher bitrate patches.

I really like the look of Moon T-7 but for me reliability is more important then image quality, my suggestion is to use Moon T-5. Please keep in mind that Moon T-7 is really pushing the limits of the GH2, the camera's stock bitrate is 24Mpbs and with Moon T-7 it is consistently recording between 140-150Mbps. Moon T-5's bitrate depends on the scene that you are shooting but for the most part is normally around 100Mpbs topping out at about 150Mbps with more detailed complex scenes.

• Here is my latest nature short. 98% shot on MoonT7! MY FAVORITE HACK EVER!

• @Azo, after comparing T7 back to back with T5, I found that I liked T7 quite a bit more. Recently I have shot quite a bit with my 12-35 on T7 24L, and it has been great. Excellent image and complete reliability at around 79-80 Mbps. Has anyone else found that they like T7 24L quite a lot?

• @Tjabo

Honestly, I did not even think to use the 24L settings. Something I will definitely look into though because I actually prefer the look of T-7 over T-5/T-4.

• @Azo Well that sucks to know. I've been amazed by Moon T7's image quality, I can't see myself going to a lower firmware. But I don't know how much of a quality T5 and T7, and if I should switch over.

It's no problem when shooting scenes obviously, but shooting a constant scenario like a music video, interview is certainly an issue with recording stoppage.

• @Tjabo yes you've found it, 24L is the sweet spot on moon T7. it spans just fine w/a toshiba card. shooting a bird doc since last year; no hick ups. :)

• A gig I did a few years back on mainly hacked GH2s.

• @driftwood that concert footage is solid man! great job next week I shoot a concert with two gh2's with t5 hack, one gh3, gopro3 and panasonic hc-x929. next months a gh4 will be added to the lineup... the gh2's I own since last week. manual film mode set to manual gives me a total screwed up picture. only the hbr mode works but I thought I could shoot with 50fps instead of just 50 did I setup everything correctly?

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters