Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Secondary body for GH3 system
  • I recently had an accident with my GH3 which broke off the front of the internal flash casing (the camera still worked fine except for the flash), and it was time to get it repaired. Repair time could easily become 4-5 weeks they told me, and I am doing some exotic traveling in the mean time so I am looking for a second body to use with all my cool Panasonic m43-lenses that I can bring on this trip.

I do mostly stills, time-lapse, and occasionally some amateur videography at the moment. The second body should therefore be something good wrt stills (they probably all are), and something I could fool around with while the GH3 is primary on time-lapse-assignment, maybe even do a secondary time-lapse sequence (so internal intervalometer would be nice). Video quality should be ok but does not need to be on par with the GH3. The body should also be smaller (and a lot cheaper) than the GH3, since it will be a B-body I want to bring "just in case" in the bag when the GH3 returns, but which will probably often not be used at all. Compatibility with my Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 for Olympus / Panasonic / Leica is also something I want.

Anyone in a similar situation? Or just with a good suggestion? I am currently leaning towards something Olympus just to get some experience with in-body image stabilisation compared to Panasonic OIS (and to get stabilisation with the manual / adaptor-mounted lenses).

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Just FYI (and to "close" this thread), I ended up buying a GX1, and an external intervalometer. It was pretty cheap, and at the moment it was cheaper with the 14-42 kit lens than just the body.

This way I will have a familiar menu system, and can start experimenting with firmware hacks, and expanded my lens collection as well. I miss the GH3 EVF and flipping the LCD screen inwards, and the [shuttershockless] electronic shutter, but otherwise I am very happy with it as a secondary body.

• Thanks for the update. I got a gf2 w/kit for 150 refurb so that is my secondary :)