Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
And finally, the Canon 5d fires back against the GH.
  • Playing field might not be level, but this is a potential game changer.
    Sorry if someone already linked...
    http://www.mosaicengineering.com/
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • I think it certainly is going to be a nice little device that fixes a lot of the problems I have with the 5D but at this point...it's just throwing more money at old technology.
  • Full frame, though! For all the GH2's technical superiority, there's just something about that 5D sensor for certain kinds of filmmaking. It's a very nice option to have, at least - I'll consider getting one.

Some notable caveats, though: http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf-5d2/vaf-5d2-important.html

Zooms no longer hold focus when changing focal length, you get edge softness at 24mm and wider, and you have to remove it for stills or else it downgrades image quality - so you can't be doing stills/video hybrid shooting as well.
  • @Oedipax: The features you lose, are the only benefit of the 5D in my mind. FF sensors excel at wide angles but being limited to 24mm kind of defeats the point. Same issue with not being able to take sharp stills.

I break down the GH2 vs. the 5D all the time for people I work with and in almost every regard the GH2 beats the 5D in terms of video, but then it always comes down to, "Well the 5D is full frame and the GH2 isn't." I'm sorry but 4/5 people can't tell the difference in the "aesthetic" difference between full frame and 2x crop given comparable focal lengths. The only giveaway is when everything but an eyelash in focus, then I know it's the 5D haha.
  • Mirco 4/3 is much closer to the size of 4-perf academy 35mm anyway. I really don't get this obsession with having a VistaVision size frame with lousy resolution.
  • And how is this filter going to fix binning and line skipping?
  • So... a soft image, low resolution 600 line camera becomes even softer.

The amazing thing is someone will actually by this thing.

Maybe the new Canon 5D3 (?) will have enough processing power to eliminate the need for binning/skipping...that would make for a potentially very impressive camera (pity about the Canon lenses with coffee-grinder gyros though).
  • No reason to beat up on the 5d here. It was an amazing machine for a lot of filmmakers. If you're not shooting for HD delivery and can stay away from aliasing, it can still produce a very nice image. But it's yesterday's camera. Had they come out with this thing 2 years ago they could have sold thousands. As it is now, they'll sell some to the die-hards.
  • You know what will fix the 5D MKII issues? The 6D will. Too bad it will cost 2-3 times as much as a GH2. The 6D will be a wonderful stills camera and a great video camera. It still won't be as flexible as a GH2 though. If you want wide with shallow depth of field then go with full frame. If you want small size with great usability then go for m4/3s.
  • This looks like simple AA filter (most probably Chinese).
  • What's an AA filter? and if it's something simple, why in God's name has it taken this long for a solution?
    And from what they're saying, this gizmo won't soften the image.
    And I have three GH2's, I could have got four and still spent less than on a single 5d.
  • I totally gave up on 5D MK II then switched to panny GH1 (hacked). I don't want to comment on the photo capability of the 5D (it's focus speed is very slow compared to Nikon fullframe, and dynamic range is not that great etc ...)

For video, 2 simple reasons:

- Color profile was messed up until the Technicolor Cinestyle Profile (4 years after the camera's initial release). For panny gh1 or gh2, that's not a problem. And thanks to the 5D's sucky video codec (4:2:0 or low bitrate or lack of attitudes or whatever), I couldn't do much in post using color grading.

- Moiré, filmed a blabk & white comic book with that 5D MK II, I got a footage with lots of blue and purple lines and blocks. Now my goodness, some other company actually see this glaring defect as a niche market.

The Canon 5D MK II is a faulty camera in video mode, period.