Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 NTSC to PAL
  • Hello everybody! My name is Nicu (Nikolay) and I'm new on this forum. Today I recieved my GH3 camera from US, and I realized that this is NTSC version, but I'm living in Moldova, and I need PAL mode. So, my question: Is it possible to modify the firmware (v 1.1) to change from NTSC mode to PAL? Thanks in advice!

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, you mean no for just now, or no forever?

• For now, you can just sell this body and get one at http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh3-notes/gh3-discount

• But if I understood right, you're already working on GH3 hack? I'm willing to contribute if it's true.

• Maybe focus on 24p for now?

The Heisenberg GH3 hack: The more specifically you poke, the less you actually know? ;)

• Of course I will focus on 24p, it's obvious! But what does it mean "The Heisenberg GH3 hack: The more specifically you poke, the less you actually know? ;)" ?!

• The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

There is not much known about the viability of a GH3 hack at this point in time - there is still uncertainty connected to it. If you check out "Development status" topic, it says GH3 has been sent for dumping. If nobody can decrypt the firmware, then not much can be done I figure. If it can be decrypted and re-encrypted, then it has to be disassembled and understood, and then patches/settings can be made.

The last sentence is just from personal experience. When you do exploratory analysis/development work and are asked concretely about future unknown results, by people expecting results, you avoid giving any specific answers or promises because you might not reach your goal for whatever reasons, and don't want to get burned promising something that you can't deliver. But that is just me - VK is on a different level. But he seems to rather under-promise and over-deliver than the other way around...

• @Iarsarus Thank you very much for a comprehensive explanation! I still hope that someday, in the close future there will appear a hack.

• @nicneg I want to buy a GH3, but I live in the Netherlands and want a NTSC version. Perhaps we could make a deal.

• @Enzimage, so what are you proposing? Do you have a GH3 in PAL and want to change, or you want to buy my GH3?

• Lucky guy.... has no 30min recording time limit with his NTSC GH3, so why getting rid of it for to get a time-limited one (PAL).

24p and 60p are great for shooting, playback on the PAL TVs should still work well, or does it not?

• Lucky guy.... has no 30min recording time limit with his NTSC GH3, so why getting rid of it for to get a time-limited one (PAL).

Nopt all PAL GH3s have time limits :-)

• Not all PAL GH3s have time limits :-)

I am dreaming bigger than that, and I hope you are too :)