Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
One for the 14-140 lovers and a seldom used LPowell GH1 Hack setting
  • Another nice render from the GH1 and 14-140 kit lens, ND8 filter, STD Profile 00+10. The patch for this video was the awesome but seldom used LPowell Fast Action 720p30 50Mbps @ 3-frame GOP AVCHD Patch. Shutter was mostly 1/60 but GH1 thumb dial occasionally gets knocked on the front of the camera and i find it on 1/80 at times. The lens can render some nice blurred backgrounds and pop the focus. All shot hand held.

The audio was a Zoom H1 internal mics with windsock placed on the ground in front of the performers and the commentator at the end had the Zoom stuck mid chest inside his shirt. This is the intro to the event, shot in Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand last weekend.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • @Rambo...Two comments Ian:

1. I've said a number of times that what took good video last year, is still good video this year.

2. That was one of the most enjoyable clips I've watched for a long time.

• Yeah thanks Pete, you're right, GH1 is still in the game. These cultural performers also did an awesome 'Haka" that sent chills down my spine, so much passion these Maoris, love my Pacific Islands.

I had 2 mins notice so didn't have time to set multiple cameras or to audio check, just threw the Zoom on the grass and grabbed the GH1 and started shootin'.

• Brilliant work as always, Rambo! I admire how you maintain consistently even-tempered exposure in a wide range of outdoor lighting conditions. The variety of flattering skin tones is also nice to see in a South Pacific context.

The GH1 Fast Action Patch was the first 3-frame GOP hack I developed, and it still has an uncanny mystique for me. It's actually one of the most reliable file-spanning patches I've tested on both the GH1 and the GH2. (As long you take care not to black-out the sensor!)

• What did you use to record the audio?

• The GH1 Fast Action Patch was the first 3-frame GOP hack I developed, and it still has an uncanny mystique for me. It's actually one of the most reliable file-spanning patches I've tested on both the GH1 and the GH2. (As long you take care not to black-out the sensor!)

Black out the sensor?. .. You mean under expose??

Yes the patch is faultless, you can zoom/ focus while recording etc no failures. It averages 28-32mbps which for 720p 25/30fps is plenty of bitrate. I'm just using the centre weighted metering and letting the camera select exposure, then lock with AE lock.

Would still love this patch to work on the GF2 one day :-)

What did you use to record the audio?

Zoom H1 internal mics, check details in my 1st post Pete.

• @Rambo

Black out the sensor?. .. You mean under expose?

Yes, the 720p Fast Action Patch has just one quirk - if you let the illumination drop to near-black for more than about 5 seconds, the GH1 may terminate the recording, but will save the MTS file normally. Not much chance of that happening in broad daylight tho!

I developed this patch specifically for the GF1 as well as the GH1, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on the GF2?

• I developed this patch specifically for the GF1 as well as the GH1, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on the GF2?

VK didn't include the every 2nd frame drop feature in the GF2 PTools version, can't remember why he said it was eliminated but there was a reason.

• You're the first Aucklander (or were you just visiting? Am guessing maybe so) I've seen online using a GH1!

Am an Auckland resident myself, been to Takapuna beach many times myself for aquathlon races.

I've just last week started shooting with a GH1, and my Zoom H1 has just today arrived in the country and should reach me in another couple of days.

Am impressed with how good your audio sounded in that clip.

• Just visiting for the gig, Queenslander actually. Yes the Zoom is a handy piece of kit, for this recording I just chucked it on the grass in front of the performers. In the full version of the video during the Haka you can see the Zoom in the grass with a red fur windsock. The MC had the zoom stuck inside his shirt, should have set the level down I little lower for the MC, occasionally it peaked at 0db.

Full Version.

• very clean image, nice job