Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is there any benefit of doing a "mock" trailer for a future feature film?
  • Hi guys, one of my shorts film just got accepted into cannes short film corner. We are going to go for sure, I heard its a great place to learn marketing and a great networking opportunity. I don't think our short film is going to sell but we thought since we are in cannes we might as well try and shop around our feature film ideas around. We are currently work on the script and we were thinking of doing a mock trailer, since we won't be shooting the actual film till the end of year. So, making a mock trailer, like the ones I see of crowd funding websites, worth it? Would it be better to have a mock trailer, than to have a one line pitch and a script to show possible producers? Or is a a waste of time because the cast will likely be different and we haven't even written the script so whole characters and plot lines could be different. So as a result, the mock trailer could be seen as false advertisement. Love to know everyone thoughs. (Plus any tips on cannes would be great too :)

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • @azza_act I went on a masterclass in this exact topic not long ago. According to all the names in that class you really need the tagline first and foremost. Practice an " as short possible" (preferably oneliner) pitch which gets the image across, in a vivid way and reference to something that has already been made, along those same lines but emphasise what sets your project apart. F.i. Indiana Jones, but in space. Get people excited about it and don´t be afraid to pitch anywhere anytime. Someone might be willing to get into the boat and make it happen and you can´t plan for when you will meet that person.

IF you have time to shoot a teaser: Do it! Base it on the tagline (not necessarily on the actual script). Think of it as a visual intro to your idea, rather than making a short of the feature.

Another thing: think about what you need to make it happen! Be strategic about it. F.i. if you need investment. Who do you want to meet? A producer? A specific producer? What might that guy be looking for / expecting from you?

Also: make sure you have a format/script and not just the idea (or else it will get stolen), but it seems like you are well under way with that.

Finally: try to get someone reliable and experienced on board (either as mentor or partner) if you get underway with getting what you want / need or more.. Even before that, if they like you / your projects.

• I believe the Coen Brothers debut, 'Blood Simple', began with them shooting a promo/mock trailer on 16mm in order to raise the money to make the feature. They hawked the trailer around and raised $1.5 million, made the film a year later and the rest is history.

Barry Sonnefeld was the DP/Cinematographer and shot the full length feature on 35mm.

'Blood Simple' still remains one of my all time favourite movies. For those who haven't seen it do yourselves a favour and get it on BluRay. It should be mandatory viewing for any young aspiring film maker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Simple

• @pundit The Coens shot a scene from Blood Simple with M. Emmit Walsh, which appears in the movie, to raise the funds to make the full feature. Something like this more accurately shows, IMO, a potential investor the tone of the film as well as the filmmaker's craft.

Trailers are often indicative of the editing craft of the fellow who cut the trailer and not much more. A trailer for a film that doesn't exist still has great potential for getting people pumped. Perhaps the trailer would be a better bet if the filmmaker is going to be going after funding mostly from people who have the money but not any knowledge of the movie business, or if they're approaching a company that normally deals in marketing and distribution but not production, since the trailer speaks their language and they care more about the marketability of a film than the film itself.

• @azza_act - I'm just about to do the same - we have a story outline and we'll be shooting a 'trailer' to try and attract more funding for further scripting. Keep us posted on how it goes.

• No brainer...do it!! :)

• Thanks for everyone's insight!