Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sunseeker - a GoPro 3 short film
  • On a dark winterday - don't we seek the sun, far above the clouds?

It started out as a little test of my new toy, the GoPro Hero 3. Just wanted to see how good it would hold up. Then I decided to make a little short film, as I really liked what I saw ;-)

Shot entirely on the GoPro Hero 3 in 2.7k 24p and 1080p protunes mode. I find it amazing how far you can push the grade to get a cinematic looking image. This is a 399 USD camera after all! Download the 1080p file and have a look if you like.

Music by Seu Jorge and Almaz, Everybody loves the Sunshine (available on iTunes)

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • very nice. very clean, great color. Looked to be a little banding on one of the shots out the window, but other than that, the GoPro does an excellent job!

• great one, gopro3 at its limit as color grading and film looking. did you stabilize some shots?

• nice! didnt expect it to be so clean! loved the snow shots

• @bmorgan83 Thank you. Banding could be as I really pushed this to the extreme. The cineform codec (protune) is fantastic, also in terms of dynamic range.

• @jazzroy a lot of the shots are stabilized. But in 2.7k mode you have plenty of oversampling to still get a nice looking 1080p picture.

• @APA me as well, I was surprised how clean it is and how good it holds up. GoPro uses Sony sensors, this one is actually capable of 4k at 60fps (although the GoPro hardware isn't). Hence, we can expect a lot from future models.

• @GMC no prob! I was just amazed that of all the shots, could only really see banding on that one… I would have expected far much more from a $400 camera.