Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Smart Sound Editing to Strip just the Voice-over from Mixed Audio?
  • This must have happened a dozen times: a client asks me to sub-title a documentary which has so much voice-over commentary I feel obliged to tell them they need to re-voice-over the commentary part [and sub-title only the interviews, pieces to camera, signage. etc]. This is standard process.

However, the client seldom manages to come up with the un-mixed multi track copy, yet gets the producer's permission to go ahead.

So-oo, I'm just wondering whether anybody has had any luck trying to erase the voice alone from mixed audio which might have a background of sync sound, maybe music and atmos,. [No, the budgets these clients propose do not extend to the painstaking re-creation of all audio tracks].

Since I'll be laying down another language voice-over, largely on top of where the original voice-over existed, I'm thinking maybe I could get away with reducing the original voice to a mere murmur and the new voice might cover up the old one.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Can you get just the voice over track? If so you can just reverse phase and then adjust volume until you get the desired attenuation.

• @spacewig

Good thinking. Never occurred to me. (It won't hurt to ask).