Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Somehow @Butt knew he liked his GH2 better than the GH3 way back in September when no one had the camera. It's been the same thing from him since then, at least he's consistent... but yeah, we get it, your happy with your GH2, as we all have been with ours. My question for @Butt is: why are you even visiting the GH3 threads?

• The GH3 has some advantages over the GH2. The EOTW Shootout will demonstrate those. I won't color the results by commenting further, but I see it as a slight upgrade in many categories, and a major upgrade in a few others.

• End of the world happened 2 days ago, lets see the results already!! :)

• @shian, could you also say, it's a slight downgrade in some sense?

• What really gets me is that if people are seeing only a slight upgrade and are bashing the Gh3, why don't you disconnect and go buy the Gh2 for $400? I have the Gh3, but I've had it like a week. But in that week, just the build of the camera pulls me to it. Then I start playing around with the files from it and feel pretty confident of it's offerings. The files can really stretch. There are some issues with the Gh3. Aliasing is one of them. But 8/10 shots I look at I sit back and am sort of taken by the amount of info the camera delivers. Then I start to think of what it might do if Vitaly cracks it???? More power to the master!!!! I'm sure Shian will chime in more about this and we can see a good controlled test with comparatives. In any case, that to @Shian for going through the paces.

• I presume, advantage of GH3 is the 60p 1080, do not know how good it is, not too many examples yet. image quality? (cameras all good, in relation to price GH2 probably best ever made, I own 7 cameras, DSLRs) So far GH3 just does not show "pitch perfect" imagery yet. Waiting for more good stuff from the colleagues.

• Oh noes!!! My GH3 is macroblocking badly!! Today I went out to shoot Christmas lights with it and half the footage has macroblockiiiing ;_;

• 4 F-stop 50 shutter 1600 iso with the 14-140mm lens ;_; macroblocking on Christmas lights

• ldbonilla , have you shot AVCHD?

• no they are all-i MOV 24p ;_;

• @idbonilla It was reported here repeatedly that the all-I codecs are very poor - use the IPB or the AVCHD.

• Thanks George, I didn't know that. I'll try the other ones. ;_; Here's the video just for future reference. ;_;

• @ldbonilla

Do not turn topic into chat. Use Edit.

• @all No fuss, please - I assess new GH3, in my view - still reminds me of the mud watched ungehackte GH1, despite the better DR For example (mud!!!), in this video -

I think the "Hack" of Vitaliy will improve this mud

• @Butt

Video is present on last page :-)

• aahhhh - sorry @Vitaliy

• another one in slow motion:

• From the thread of Shian on vimeo:

Sittipong Kongtong wrote:

I just shot test 6 cameras yesterday, December 25, 2012, with Alexa+Gemini 444 to record Arri Raw, Red Epic, Red One MX, Sony F3+Gemini 444 to record Uncompress S-log, Sony FS700 and GH3 with same lens, UltraPrime 24 and 85 mm on the same place. It was clearly that the Alexa Raw the winner, but for the GH3, not the last. It performed much much better than some of those expensive cameras in term of dynamic range and details. You could find out from this link;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.572843496074971.154243.100000479769338&type=3

The video from the comparative, currently only has it on facebook, but can see in HD,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=573093326049988&set=vb.100000479769338&type=3

• Exposure is all over the place in that FB comparison, really tough to measure the benefits of one camera over another. The viewing bitrate is also horrible. That being said, the GH3 does show respectable DR and shadow detail, noticeably better than the FS700 costing 6X more. I'd like to see a more scientific test like this one performed, maybe we'll see it in the next Zacuto shootout.

• @shian just wondering when we might find out your views on your recent GH3 tests? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks :)

• Hi, I'm looking for some color profile tests, what's the best one ?

I'm actually at -5 everywhere.

Thanks !

(i mean the flattest one, like cinestyle)