Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Convertible notebooks as tablets alternative
  • This discussion was created from comments split from: Microsoft Surface.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • As for alternatives, here's the last great Win7 64-bit tablet/laptop, still available used:

http://www.amazon.com/HEWLETT-PACKARD-TrueVision-Fingerprint-Touchscreen/dp/B0049PI1SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350498155&sr=8-1&keywords=HP+TouchSmart+tm2

For GH2 shooters, the HP TM2 has what you need for quickly reviewing your footage:

• Built-in SDXC card slot, compatible with 95MB/sec SD cards.
    • Built-in HDMI port, supports 1080p video.
    • 1280x800 12-inch screen, adequate for displaying HD footage.
    • Dual Intel/ATI display cards for low power/performance choice.
    • 1.33 GHz Intel Dual-Core i5 CPU.
    • Upgradable to 8GB DDR3 RAM.
    • 500GB 7200RPM SATA hard disk.
    • Altec Lansing stereo speakers with Dolby Digital decode support.
    • Three USB 2.0 ports.
    • Built-in Wireless-N wifi and bluetooth.
    • 6-hour battery life in economy mode.
    • Upgradable Windows 7 Home Premium.

Mine plays 100Mbps AVCHD videos full-screen, no problem. It also runs Adobe CS5.5 Photoshop, Premiere Pro, & After Effects in 64-bits without bogging down. The touch-screen tablet action is ok for iPad-style demos and casual web browsing.

The major drawbacks of this tablet/laptop are its weight and thickness. It's a bit over 4 pounds and with the rear battery, it's 1.5-inches thick. Not something I'd want to tote around in a backpack or briefcase, but no problem keeping it handy in the car.

Windows Surface looks thinner and slicker, but its performance is no better and it lacks a built-in SDXC card slot. With all my cameras using SD cards, this is a big deal for me, and the reason I decided against iPad and Android tablets (not to mention their lack of AVCHD support). The other major benefit for me is the ability to fire up Adobe CS5.5 for light production work. While I'm sure Windows Surface Pro will support that as well, I'd rather not have to deal with Windows 8.

• @LPowell: I know many people speak best of what they already have - yet I feel obliged to mention another alternative that has been on the market since August 2012: The Asus UX32VD.

It's price was back then was already what is currently also rumored to be the price of the first Intel-CPU based Surface.

For GH2 shooters, the HP TM2 has what you need for quickly reviewing your footage: Built-in SDXC card slot, compatible with 95MB/sec SD cards. Built-in HDMI port, supports 1080p video. 1280x800 12-inch screen, adequate for displaying HD footage.

The Asus UX32VD has all that but a 1920x1080 13,3-inch non-glare IPS panel, so you can actually judge recordings at full quality in nice colors.

1.33 GHz Intel Dual-Core i5 CPU.

UX32VD: 2.4 GHz Core-i7

Upgradable to 8GB DDR3 RAM.

I upgraded my UX32VD to 10GB RAM.

Three USB 2.0 ports.

UX32VD: Three USB 3.0 ports.

The major drawbacks of this tablet/laptop are its weight and thickness.

The UX32VD Ultrabook is nicely thin and weights ~ 1.2kg

So unless you definitely want a touch screen, I can see only disadvantages in what the Surface offers over already existing Ultrabooks.

• http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/xtablet-series/x230t/

Pricey.. but really rugged for a long life. Available with extra bright and gorillaglass outdoor screen for visibility in sunlight. Have experimented with Zotac mini PC with same chipset, works with BM USB 3 sdi/hdmi capture hardware (can not garantee). If it works this device could double as high quality field monitor.

• @karl Yes, the Asus is nice, but it's a 13-inch laptop rather than a tablet PC. If I wanted a laptop, I wouldn't have bought the HP TM2. The major point of a tablet PC or iPad is being able to use them without a keyboard. The HP TM2 is directly comparable to Windows Surface and is actually convertable from laptop to tablet format, making it quite versatile. One of the things I use it for is as a digital clapper board and teleprompter.

@Meierhans The Lenovo is really nice, and is about the same size and weight as the HP TM2. The model I'd want would cost around $2000. I may consider it at some point as an upgrade.

• Here a picture of the X230T inside protective sleeve. Looks like it could survive on set for a while: http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/ww/ag/merchandising/options/images//large/_460_0_0A33883_V1.jpg (edit: actually its another model inside, same size)

Mount BM Ultra Studio SDI with velcro on the back and you have one device that can monitor your signal, capture uncompressed to cineform and act as mobile companion. Wish I had the budget...

• Guys, I made new topic, as you completely derailed previous one :-)