Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
700 Terabytes packed into a Single Gram of DNA
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • I had no idea anyone was working on such a thing. I knew that Bio Tech was the future of many of our current digital tech, but didn't know anyone was actually doing any work on DNA for such purposes. This is a totally mind blowing report. I continue to marvel at the amazing properties of DNA and the Human Brain. Just awe inspiring. Makes me sad to see people wasting their lives with such an amazing gift.

• Hmmm... maybe I am too sceptical, but from what I read, they actually stored only 700kB of information. Yes, they say they stored 70 billion copies of that, but that is exactly the kind of redundancy that may be helping - or may even be required - to "read out" the data by sequencing. Unless they actually store 700 Terabyte of non-redundant information in 1g of DNA and demonstrate how they can re-read it reliably from a "1g DNA" storage, I remain sceptical of whether this is actually a technological breakthrough.

Just consider that the information content stored within e.g. the human genome is not at all huge, I've read it is less than 2 MB when compressed losslessly. There may be good reason why living organisms store so little information content in so many copies with such high redundancy when using DNA. If DNA-based storage of information was possible in much larger amounts with much less redundancy, that would have saved organisms a lot of energy, and that usually is enough to give organisms an advantage in reproduction, resulting in their evolutionary success.

• Woah, sounds intense.

I don't quite understand though, what ebook in existence could possibly take up 700 Terabytes of space?

I think @karl must be right that they copied the data a LOT of times. still, pretty awesome in my eyes.

• (in the video that accompanies the article, they say they used an html version of a book for the data)

• I'd like to be the first to upload all my itunes playlist into my DNA. Kinda like Johnny Mnumonic

• Conceptually this is just evolution. I have a 256k SIMM card I bought years ago for maybe $50. I just bought 16 gigabytes of DDR3 ram after rebate for the same price. That is 64,000 times the storage. Or would have cost $3,200,000

I also just found a nice 4mb Compact flash card to go with my 128gb SD. but that's only 32,000x.

• @luxis

DNA is worst thing anyone can use :-) It is quite unstable, easy to damage. But is makes good title for press.

I am all for one time memory that is made by special printers ala 3D printers making special transparent brick that can withstand very big temperatures and falls up to 10 meters.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev It is not the "live" type of DNA...whatever that means...most likely an engineered one. The whole idea bothers me a bit on ethic grounds. But i like the (ex)Sci-Fi approach of the transparent and highly resistible brick :)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I do not agree with you. If you allow the DNA to replicate, there is a chance that the information contained herein may survive up to 500 million years. It can even fly into space :-) .

• Mutating data. Just what we need.

• I do not agree with you. If you allow the DNA to replicate, there is a chance that the information contained herein may survive up to 500 million years. It can even fly into space :-) .

No such thing as "allow DNA to replicate" exist, as replication is extremely complex process. And it is not error free.