Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
  • I bought one for my GH2. The price is very good. My only doubt is that the GH2 battery door will not open when in the cage. Not a deal breaker because I plan to use a quick release.

I will report back with my experience once the product arrives. For more information check the link below:

• 25 Replies sorted by
  • Looks interesting, I removed links, as linking to CC is prohibited here.

• I think they mentioned in the comments that you would not have access to the battery door with the gh2. That's too bad, but like you said, with a quick release it shouldn't be that much of a hassle though.

• It is also not the cage, really. With top of the camera unfixed and sides being cheap plastic handles.

• I like it. Especially at this price point. The handles are a nice functionality feature IMO. Also you could probably buy a Hotshoe attachment for very little that could allow the camera to be secured to the top of the cage. I look at this product as a good starting off point with some modification you can get it to be a more perfect solution for a GH2.

• @matthewcarr Please let us know:

If those handles are plastic or metal...? If there is a way to rig the GH2 so that the battery door can open? If you can swing out the articulating screen?

Thanks in advance!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, this is definitely not for dangerous shooting environments. The ReWo, Gini or even D-Focus cages are certainly better for that.

@CFreak The handles are the same plastic build as the P&C Pistol Grips which I have been very satisfied with.

• I bought one to to mount a monitor. Hope it works.

• I received my GearBox today and really like it!

The build is excellent. If you have a P&C PistolGrip than you are familiar with the great feel of the light weight yet durable grips that come on the GearBox. The metal plates are also light weight, strong and well machined. The black finish with red accents match my Manfrotto 701HDV, Stroboframe shoe mounts and Zacuto EVF.

Everything functions as I expected. My GH2 fits with a Manfrotto quick release without the use of risers. The battery slot is not designed for the GH2, but wouldn't open anyway on the quick release. However, I have a ciecio7 FD to M4/3 adapter that has a lens support with 1/4" thread. So that allows the camera to hang off the end and be completely accessible.

The GearBox just feels right and works as you would think. It's not a cage designed to provide ultimate protection for your camera. There are other options for that. If you want something affordable that provides better handling and additional mounting options in a light weight build you won't be disappointed.

@CFreak ...and yes the articulating GH2 screen does open.

• I do wish it came with a few 1/4" bolts it would save a trip to Home Depot.

• I'd have to say looks very good for that price point - I will probably get one. Thanks for the quick update.

• I shot this right out of the box to see how the GearBox handled micro vibrations and an unsteady position. It helps make camera shake less jarring and mitigates unnatural looking jitter often seen on handheld shots without stabilization. With practice and solid positioning steady shots shouldn't be a problem.

• After using the GearBox for a couple days I wish it allowed for two screws to be locked into the quick release. Getting everything perfectly aligned and then having your camera torque out of position is a downer. There must have been a reason not to implement anti-twisting into the design. Perhaps, I'm missing something.

Another minor thing I noticed is that the top plate slopes slightly forward. This poses no issue for myself. I can only see it being a problem if someone plans to mount a level there.

Overall, I'm still very pleased with the GearBox. One of the best values for camera gear. Granted, most camera gear is waaaayyyy over priced.

P.S. A friction arm is really helpful when positioning your EVF comfortably.

• Granted, most camera gear is waaaayyyy over priced.

It looks overpriced, because it is much better manufactured.

• I received my Gearbox. For the price, it's a fine piece of gear. It does help to lessen those micro camera shake in dslr in handheld mode. My camera sits pretty firmly on the cage and it doesn't seem to move around. As compare to the gh2 gini cage which I also owned, I think the the gini is better built but then again the gearbox advantage is that you can use it with various camera and it's also cheaper n lighter. The other plus is you can mount a 7 inch monitor in the cage instead of a camera.

• First thing I did was rotate the bottom plate so it would work better with the GH2. This allows for much more room to plug in an HDMI cable and for the LCD screen to flip out. Also had to mount the camera as far forward as possible so my hands would fit better around the grips.

PICT0088_cropped.jpg
    762 x 800 - 962K
  • Got the Rod Adapter kit today. Now I can use my friction follow focus with this cage.

PICT0109_cropped.jpg
    656 x 800 - 898K
  • @Cavemandude,

As I plan on getting one - could you elaborate with a quick review? Thanks!

• @Cavemandude , what is the name type of this nice little monitor you have ? Great cage too ...

• Is GH2 battery access completely out of the question on this rig? How many mm of misallignment are we talking? Is it just a question of adjusting the offset slightly with some sort of spacer block (which could perhaps also include an anti-twist lip??).

And what does this cage weigh? I too would love to see any video reviews specific to the GH2 to show it all in motion!!!

• Weight specs from PNC ... plain Gearbox cage GB1= 1lb 13oz (822g) ... rod adapter with 15mm rails GB-R kit = 11oz (311g)

If a spacer block was designed for this to workaround the battery door allignment, it could also take into account achieving the industry standard 85mm clearance between rails and optical centre of lens.

• @feha, that looks like the Sony CLM-V55

• @cp_from_oz You should look at the more expensive GH2 cage designs if you want real precision.

• @Cavemandude @matthewcarr @PixCanFly I am interested in a review as well. How is it in combination with GH2?

And how do you guys control buttons when shooting with any cage? Everything on auto I suppose?

This is my main problem with all cages, and therefore I am seriously doubting if shooting with my GH2 has any future at all. Because with my tascam, sennheiser, wireless, camera light it becomes prety difficult and unbalanced to work with. When the Tascam recorder is mounted on top of the cage, you also often hear it when you are just holding the handgrips (as the sound resonates through the parts).

Hope to hear some thoughts about it

• @tommy I never use auto. The GH2 controls are accessible when mounted in the GearBox. The lens can be difficult to reach for focus pulls by hand depending on your configuration.

All your audio stuff should balance fine, but a mic on/near the camera is never optimal. I would only use a mic mounted to the camera for a static shot from a tripod where I wouldn't make any noise.

Overall, it works like you would expect. It doesn't replace a tripod, shoulder support or steadicam. It gives you two handles wider than the GH2 and more mounting points.

• Thanks. As I am documentary filmmaker (often alone and filming abroad, low profile, run and gun) I need to have the sound with me (not especially near the camera, but at least some where). I thought of mounting the tascam on my small tripod, but than I need to keep the tripod attached at all times. As you guys own the Gearbox a few questions @Cavemandude @PixCanFly @matthewcarr :

• a quick release plate set is not included, so which one are you using so you do can access the battery? • When the camera is on the QR plate, will it still twist in the cage? • Is it not possible to also mount the flash shoe of the camera through the cage (so it is top secured as well) or the holes do not match? • Is it easy to mount the cage (with camera in it) direct and centered on your tripod? how do you do that ? Maybe with another quickrelease, but then the cage will not be flat underneath so you can not put it away in a stable way. I am afraid there are still no good affordable, simple ways to make it a bit better video camera to actually work with it. Hope to open up discussion, and please let me hear some thoughts!