Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Aliasing when converting HBR to 1080p
  • So I shot some footage in HBR by mistake and when I put it into my 24p timeline in FCPX I got serious aliasing and/or degraded image. Is there any thing to be done besides cutting around the worst of it?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • This sounds like you need to interpret HBR properly, as it is true 25p divided and stored into interlaced fields (if I remember that correctly). I´m on Adobe which knows how to handle the footage on its own.

• In NTSC land HBR is 25p? I don't think so. FCPX says my frame rate is 29.97 with upper field dominance.

• There is no field dominance, as the HBR footage isn't really interlaced. You need to figure out how to tell FCPX that the footage is progressive. I'm a PPro user so I can't tell you how!

• ..."the footage is progressive". That sounds like great advise in many ways. I mean I always like to think that I would always want my stuff to be progressive and not retarded but, obviously I've got a wee problem.

• 60i wrapper to true 30p - put your clip in a 30p timeline. In adobe, modify/interpret footage, in fcp (not sure about fcpx) you do it via cinema tools. Open the clip in cinema tools, there is a conform button below. It must be incorporated somewhere in fcpx. Look around for conform option.

Now 1080p30 to 1080p24 is a different cup of tea.

• Check Out PSF (Progressive segmented frame) this is how the Gh2 handles Proggressive in HBR It is interlaced kind of but it does not do Upper and lower Fields both Fields are the Same http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_Frame

• I got my answer, guys. Thanks! In FCPX you select the shot in the timeline; info in the inspector; 'setting view' in the bottom left and then the "field dominance override" is accessible and the drop down lets you choose from unmodified, progressive, upper first, lower first. Thanks again