Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DaVinci Resolve 9

New user interface has been designed to be fast to use and to eliminate unnecessary clicks and settings to get working fast. New user interface improvements include a new streamlined project import, export and selection workflow, scrubbable media thumbnails to speed up shot selection, production metadata fields for entering on set shot notes and larger color control palettes to give faster access to grading tools. There are also new graphical palettes for control of power windows, keys, sizing, tracking and stabilization, camera raw .

New version features 'Log grading' in every corrector node, audio playback support up to 16 tracks per source clip and audio renders in both Quicktime and MXF, additional and faster automatic stereo 3D image alignment tool, plus new stereoscopic 3D floating windows and new 3D monitoring options.

For version 10 talks go to

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6641/davinci-resolve-10

resolve.jpg
    630 x 354 - 36K
  • 179 Replies sorted by
  • I don't know DaVinci but it seem that it is a nodal software ??

• Looks great to me as a big fan of version 8. I wonder if some of the features demoed here are exclusive to the full version or if we get it all in the lite version? He does say it's "free" at the end.

@flash, regarding nodes, it's a simplified nodal system. Basically you add as many instances of color corrections as you want and you can turn them off or rearrange them however you see fit. Each node is a full set of all the corrections Resolve can make - primaries, secondaries, tracks, etc. But it's not quite full nodal compositing as you would see in Nuke or Shake.

• Thanks Oedipax.

• All changes

Interface re-designed to streamline the grading process

• Fast user login by entering user name or scroll user thumbnails
    • Browse and select projects with scrubbable thumbnail or list view
    • Search and sort project lists
    • Larger color palettes with direct user access to more tools for faster grading
    • Larger and clearer text to ease eye strain during long grading sessions
    • Larger timeline thumbnails makes selecting shots faster
    • Resizable gallery stills stored and displayed in user named albums
    • Gallery now includes 48 'Looks' for fast grade selection
    • Full screen viewer mode for accurate window and qualifier control
    • Cinema review mode offers a clean full screen to sit back and enjoy

Clip Management

• Browse and select clips in the media library with thumbnail or list view
    • Re-sizeable and scrubbable Library and Media Pool thumbnails
    • Fast clip management with drag and drop clips between bins in the Media Pool
    • Clip list view now also displays PAR, video/data level, frame rate and audio channels
    • Optional automatic creation of the Master Timeline to match the Media Pool
    • Master and Default timelines option to sort in timecode order or reel # and timecode order
    • Reveal clip in Finder

Conform

• Expandable timeline view for conforming
    • Drag and drop clip editing
    • Consolidate RED camera clips with user defined handles
    • Speed warps from FCP XML and Avid AAF
    • User selection of common keyboard shortcut layouts

Color

• Log grading includes contrast and pivot with low and high range controls
    • Composite RGBA clips using embedded Alpha
    • Stereoscopic 3D floating windows include position, softness and rotation
    • Separate 3D monitoring controls for GUI/SDI/WFM mesh
    • Camera Raw palette offers real time direct control of raw images
    • Camera Raw image debayer and decode settings optionally saved per graded version
    • Nodes can now be named and wire linking is faster
    • Window palette displays the selected windows and position
    • Key shapes and position are displayed in the new key palette
    • Image transforms are now controlled in the sizing palette
    • Tracker and stabilization palette with editable keyframe tracks for pan, tilt, zoom & rotate
    • Stabilization strength control to blend stable and original image track
    • Eight colored user selected pins & flags to mark clips for fast & easy location and sorting
    • Clip thumbnail timeline filters for color corrected, tracked, rendered, pins and flags
    • User configurable preset descriptions for graded version names

Audio

• Multitrack audio decoding from BWF, Quicktime and MXF files - Op-Atom and OP-1a
    • Multitrack audio encoding to Quicktime and MXF formats - Op-Atom
    • Audio waveform display and 16 channel audio meters with selectable dB and dBu scale
    • User selectable reference alignment levels for dBu scale
    • One-click Auto-Sync of multiple dual system audio files with camera images

Dailies

• Dailies production metadata fields for fast data entry
    • Automatically assign iXML production metadata with audio sync
    • Dailies clip sort and simultaneous multiple format rendering
    • Simple text name burn in for dailies deliverables
    • Source clip data burn-ins include custom text, logos & user selectable fade up/down times
    • One click generation of LUTs from the clip grade
    • User configurable folders to save LUTs

Deliverables

• Dedicated screen for creating rendered deliverables includes large viewer and timeline
    • Deliverables user easy setups can now be saved and recalled
    • Batch render queue shows job status
    • Encoding and decoding Avid DNxHD in QuickTime
    • Avid DNxHD444 codec encode/decode is supported on all platforms
    • Up to 50% faster DNxHD/MXF encoding speed
    • Additional 'Force Highest Quality' settings when rendering clips
    • Additional Resolve control panel controls for Camera Raw selection

General

• Resolve Control Panel shortcuts to new Log, Raw and Stereoscopic controls
    • Canon C500 camera support
    • Improved decoder performance for uncompressed MXF on Linux
    • Projects are now saved in file based database with optional database server
    • 4K monitoring with DeckLink 4K
    • Resolve for Mac OS; hot plug and play for removable drives
    • Resolve for Mac OS; now a 64 bit app
  • I'm glad that they have put in log grading. It really helps in selecting luma levels for grading.

• DaVinci Resolve 9 Beta:

Windows

Mac

• I had to install CUDA Toolkit 4.2 (the latest), otherwise it would say no CUDA devices found. Download here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/cuda/cuda-downloads.html

Maybe others had the same problem...

I also downloaded and installed the latest driver (on the same page).

• does anyone know if there any tutorial online on the resolve 9 because it is so different from the older version that older tutorial won't be too much of help.

• Btw, I added beta links to FAQ so it'll be more easy for beginners to find out.

Good article about some new features:

http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=2028

• Kind of a mixed bag for me so far - performance took a big hit on my machine versus v8 but the interface does look nicer.

• Does the new version run on MacBookPros (2012 version, before they introduced the ones with retina display)? I tried the old version and it installed but then complained about the graphics card and would not start up.

• In my Mac Book Pro 15" 2009 work with a 1440x900 monitor.

• Thanks. Then I'll give the version 9 a try.

• @Marcus 8.1 works on my MacBookPro early 2011. Not like a rocket but it works.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev the link to the class on demand course seems to be dead.

• I'm trying out Resolve 9 on Windows 7 and the user interface looks pretty unfriendly so far. How do you:

• Switch the window mode so it's not always on top
    • Switch between windowed and full-screen display
    • Drag the window to a second monitor
    • Minimize the main window to the Windows task bar

Wow, I have to wonder whether BMD have ever used Windows before? There's no obvious way to save a project to a folder, or even to import your footage... Do you need an EDL just to get started?

EDIT: I see the problem - no AVCHD file support. Too bad, some of its features look like they would've been useful.

• Strange, on Mac it works with AVCHD.

• @LPowell

Switch the window mode so it's not always on top

You can't, and this is nothing new.

Switch between windowed and full-screen display

You can't, and this is nothing new. Also, they want you to utilize the display's whole resolution. I know with everything going on in there, I wouldn't want to be windowed either.

Drag the window to a second monitor

You can drag the scopes to a second monitor.

Minimize the main window to the Windows task bar

Press the windows key, or ALT + TAB.

There's no obvious way to save a project to a folder

Resolves saves the Projects to some default location, but if you wish to fetch it, you can "File > Export Project" and save it where you please.

or even to import your footage... Do you need an EDL just to get started?

Load clips into media pool from the Media tab. The whole Resolve process works from left to right. You do not need an EDL to get started. There's plenty of tutorials that answer these basic questions more in depth, like Youtube etc.

I see the problem - no AVCHD file support. Too bad

Transcoding is the solution here.

• Also, they want you to utilize the display's whole resolution. I know with everything going on in there, I wouldn't want to be windowed either.

I think it is stupid. Kind of Windows Metro.

Transcoding is the solution here.

And we are in 2012 :-)

• @Macalincag - "There's plenty of tutorials that answer these basic questions more in depth, like Youtube etc."

Thanks for the reply, but the only tutorials I was able to find were for versions prior to Resolve 9 on the Mac. While Alt-Tab does work, it seems there's no way to move the window to my calibrated secondary monitor, which has more workspace than my primary HDTV monitor.

I'm with Vitaliy on the transcoding issue, it would be a time-consuming step backward for me. Rewrapping the MTS files into MOV containers without transcoding might be workable, but I don't know if there's something comparable to ClipWrap that runs on Windows?

• @LPowell

the only tutorials I was able to find were for versions prior to Resolve 9 on the Mac

The only reason I suggested those tutorials, even being aware of most of them being on Version 8, was for the basic questions you had like "loadings clips" and "EDLs". Those simple procedures are virtually the same on both versions and it doesn't take long to adjust to the new interface and execute it once you see how it's done on Version 8.

it seems there's no way to move the window to my calibrated secondary monitor

Yeah, it seems as though the desired monitor you wish to work on should be your primary monitor (with the Windows task bar).

on the transcoding issue

This does suck if you're only limited to the Windows platform because it works on the Mac like @nomad suggested. Maybe when it's no longer in Beta it will work. But if your working with AVCHD footage, then you most likely don't have to hit up Resolve as a step 1 for a first light, since they're completely viewable images to begin with. Which means you can do your edit then transcode the timeline to DNxHD, or what have you, then load it up in Resolve afterwards. Resolve also has a great "scene detection" tool that dices up your single timelined clip into the numerous clips as they were originally so you can grade each one separately as they were meant to be.

• @Macalincag - "Yeah, it seems as though the desired monitor you wish to work on should be your primary monitor (with the Windows task bar)."

Actually, it seems as though BMD expects you to set up your computer as a dedicated Resolve workstation plugging into a Log and Transfer workflow. But as you say, it's still in Beta, and hopefully the release version will integrate more flexibly with Windows and Adobe-based workflows.

• My personal view is that color grading tool for small teams must be just plugin for NLE, not a separate software.