Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • You're twisting my words. They choose not to participate in forums...We were comparing them to RED. You're not going to get a post from a CEO of BMD, or even a marketing person.

• You're twisting my words.

I am not twisting words.
    All I said is that firm failed to deliver product on promised date, and instead of openly stating it and describing reasons and new expected date we hear some things about secrets.

You're not going to get a post from a CEO of BMD, or even a marketing person.

They made new kind of marketing who work and talk to their director only and do not care about clients? I see..

• They've always said they would ship to the distributers by the end of July. Which means the end users will probably get it in August. They still have 7 days to ship.

• @johnbrawley I don't see him twisting your words John. BM is marketing like GoPro, which is beneath a company with their fine reputation in the industry.

• @peternap

It works for BM. They are growing very fast, and acquiring companies like Teranex and Cintel, and implementing their technologies into new products. Every product I've used of theirs is great quality for the money. As long as they keep delivering such high quality products at such inexpensive prices they will always have customers, so their marketing doesn't really matter. They probably found that marketing is too expensive and the cost would end up being passed on to the consumers. Who knows, only BM knows.

• Which means the end users will probably get it in August. They still have 7 days to ship.

Lets home for the best and that you are right.

• I have faith, I have 8 BMD products, 2 of them preordered and delivered within a week of shipping date. As I understand it, they will ship to the dealers in July (hopefully) .. I expect mine about 10th of August, unless I miss out on first shipment .. I know I was first in Western Australia. All of the products work above the original purchase specification, as Black Magic push updates out quickly.

I am getting excited .. I don't think this has been posted here : http://www.viewfactor.net/blog/?p=71

CONTINEO_BMC_11-1024x566.jpg
    1024 x 566 - 108K
  • You can't tell the world you are shipping in July and not breathe another word when your timeline has been shifted. I find the marketing of this camera really strange, but the people who pre-order the cam even stranger, cos not one of them I am quite sure has tested it. So much of the buyer's trust thus far has been based on marketing hype, and footage from only one source (sorry, but honestly, who's John Brawley?) If this is not blind faith, then it's trust misplaced. I fiddled with a prototype cam at Broadcast Asia, got a glimpse of what it could do, but no way am I going to shell out money for something that is still evolving as we speak. It seems to me BM is in a hurry to conquer a slice of market share even though the product is half-baked. When it comes to design and manufacture, you are only as good as yr last product. Track record means nothing if u screw up once big time. Just ask Final Cut Pro

• @kazuo Yep....

but then again, I considered buying this for about a day and decided against it. Who am I to criticize those that are willing to take the risk!

• @kazuo What misplaced trust ? You can decide to purchase one or not when they are shipping. If you're keen to be in the first wave, with all that might entail, then find a dealer who will take a refundable deposit from you to hold a place in their allocation.

You guys are hysterical.

jb

• I think we should cut them some slack, especially when compared with the supply chain of other companies. For example, Nikon announced a shipping date for the D800 in February, which is when I ordered mine.... and I didn't get it until middle of July, a delay of five months. If a company with the resources of Nikon can't deliver a camera without a five month delay, I'm willing to forgive BM even a one month delay. Having said that, they didn't announce any change, and it's not yet the end of July, so perhaps they will still meet their deadline.

• @ahbleza That's absolutely correct and if you remember, by the original release date, there were reviews and images all over the place for the D800. Not the cone of silence.

• Nikon announced a shipping date for the D800 in February, which is when I ordered mine.... and I didn't get it until middle of July, a delay of five months.

It is absolutely different from BM behaviour.
    D800 was announced in February, it was not expected shipping date.
    After this they got too much preorders.
    All good dealers provided expected date and properly informed about shiftings (as reason was obvious). Also first shipments was in March. Making your words about 5 months kind of strange.

Here we have some religious bosses and strange marketing department that never talks with press or on forums.
    I really wish BM well, and hope all this will change.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev No, they didn't get too many pre-orders. Instead, the marketing team singularly failed to correctly forecast demands, OR the manufacturing backend was unable to meet the forecast demand.

I agree that they started shipping in March, so I will amend my comments to 4 months -- at least in the UK, as per this article: http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-d800-availability-major-retailers-checked-1073076

• I think we should cut them some slack, especially when compared with the supply chain of other companies.

Yes, and especially considering the other "big guys" are still putting out the same shoddy compressed 8-bit footage year after year. And if you want a marginal (and I mean MARGINAL) improvement... Well then you're going to have to shell out $10k more... and then you're still shooting compressed and 8-bit.

• Yes, and especially considering the other "big guys" are still putting out the same shoddy compressed 8-bit footage year after year.

Big guys are making tools for people that will sell.

They are not making small niche raw cameras. Right now it makes no reason for them.

As camera LSI, memory speed and flash cards (both size and speed) catch up, you'll see very big amount of even entry level, $300, cameras shooting raw video.

• Dudes, take a chill pill.

Do you remember how long it took to get a hold of a GH2 after they announced?

Remember after the first batch, you couldn't even get one from Jan to March.

Whoa...

• Remember after the first batch, you couldn't even get one from Jan to March.

Generally, it is not true. If you so wanted it, you could get it on ebay. Yep, Panasonic had production problems. But we are not talking about this here. We are not talking that BM ships too small cameras, or shipping to some countries delayed.

We are talking about no footage available. No final version camera seen. And intention to keep new shipping dates "secret".

I am all for BM, and sure that they'll fix all issues and camera will be amazing. But current approach is just plain wrong and must be fixed asap.

• If you've had any dealings with BM and had bad experience .. then bag them .. if you haven't ..

If you own a BM product and have had bad experience with them .. bag them .. else.

Where is this ' intention to keep new shipping dates "secret". ' the BM site says shipping in july .. that's next week .. planned shipping date hasn't changed yet!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - can you reference what you know about some religious affiliation of the higher ups at BMD?

If they were evangelicals it would be weird to call the company BlackMagic, no?

• Thanks John! I'm not a "drone" for BMD, but I respect the MASSIVE jump here, and I'm one of the many who feel like we can cut them some slack, even if they end up shipping late. I know you're NOT saying that's what's going to happen, but, I'm just saying thanks for your input....and just know that there are thousands of us who are fine with enjoying a Black Magic Camera this time next year. There are plenty of great options now, and this appears to be a huge improvement. Hacked GH2 is a great option for the price....and certainly Panny's production problems with the GH2 are LONG in the past...and look...we all survived. I'm sure we'll be just fine waiting another couple of months, whether we need to or not, lol. Cheers John!

• Well impatient people throwing childish tantrums lol what's new. BMD has no obligation to release any footage until their product is publicly released. You are also under no obligation to pre-order it until a few people get a hands-on review on the "final product" and post their "test" footage for everyone else to decide if you want to shell out the bucks.

Be patient kids, I know its hard.

• @HHL @retrospective

No "kids" here.
    And I am amazed with your logic. I do not see here ANY bashing of BM for delays.
    I know, in every similar topic, "company saviours" always come to protect poor guys.
    You don't have to. This is business and this company has many guys who get big money for this.
    Don't do this work for them for free :-)

• I actually agree with Vitaliy, I have no intention of getting the BM camera right now...so I am certainly not impatient or passionate about the subject. But reading thru the last page or two...it appears that there may be some sort of hold up, now if BMD are experiencing a hold up in production, its simply courteous and good business to explain what it is that holding things up, or if there is no holdup.

How difficult can that be? why is that a problem for them to do that?

When things are a secret, especially with possible delays in release dates on a camera, then people have a right to ask a few questions and be a little apprehensive, and not be told that the CEO's or whoever choose not to communicate about this on a forum, or make any announcement whatsoever, and then on top of that have those that question this be called hysterical is pretty unbelievable TBH.

Thats just how I see it, and I am objective...IE: I have no vested interest in this and definitely not hysterical, maybe I may buy a BMC in the future, but personally I like to see things proved on the ground first. Cheers

• To be honest, if they already leave the consumers in the dark.
    What will happen if they really have there camera?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions