Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is there a patch against jelly?
  • I am doing a lot of tele-shots. If the cam vibrates a little bit, which is hardly seen and would not disturb the viewing, parts of the picture show an clear visible jelly. Is there a patch, which can help against this? Is this a rolling shutter- or a codec deficiency? Specially, if I shoot in ETC. Thanks.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • No. Sorry. I would suggest using a VR lens... (obviously something Panny m43 for electrical connections)

Haven't you ever wondered why Wild World of Sport uses those massive cameras with big block lenses? VR baby...

• You could also give this a try: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/ Then again for the money you get a lens with OIS as well..

• Hi Meierhans, thanks for your help. Since I have a very long lens (Tamron 200-500) with no Ois (and if it would have OIS I would have a problem with pans and tilts) so I am very interested to hear, if such a program works well. Do you or somebody else have experiences with such programm? Thanks.

• It has a 30 days trial. Just download and see if it works for you. Herr are some useful numbers: http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/training/

Its interesting that using ETC basicly halfs the effect technicly.

• That's to be expected, since a smaller part of the sensor is read, so it's faster. Might be a good alternative to using a very long lens under sufficient light.

Regarding the RS tool from The Foundry: it's one of the best, but none of them is working miracles. If there are many different motion vectors in the frame (e.g. vehicles passing at different speed/direction in a pan) you'll still see problems.

If you want to give the tool a hard time, try a clip from a cellphone ;-)

• FWIW: I once had a 7D and was shooting off a monopod outdoors, shots of trains off a bridge near a major train station. There was a little wind and I had no OIS lenses. The tele end of my zoom was ca. 105mm, no problems with rolling shutter. I attached a 500mm mirror lens to it and it was jello city and totally unusable, like I was shooting off a warped mirror at a carnival. It looked kind of funny actually.

• Yes there is. It's called After Effects' Warp Stabilizer and you don't want to know how much it cost. You can also use VirtualDub + Deshaker.

• AEFX is free for 30 days ;-)

• Stabilizers in post actually make jello worst, you are better off shooting correctly with the camera. Skew can be corrected much easier but still requires lots of work.

• True! Shakiness can cover jello up to some degree. Once stabilized it'll look like the image is bending inside the frame.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions