Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • I'm starting a new thread because this is something really special.

Here is the new version of Sanity for firmware 1.1. What makes this special is:

Picture Quality - across-the-board, no-compromise, high quality images in all modes: 24P, HBR, 1080i and 720p. And all at very modest bitrates. There are improvements in all modes. 720p is especially notable because I have successfully got B-frames working in it, and it makes a huge difference.

Stability - I hate write errors - hate em', hate em', hate em'. Sanity 4 is rock stable. I use Sandisk 30M Class 10 cards and have not had any write errors in any mode, including ETC. Of course, your milage may vary, but I hope not.

Spanning - Sanity now spans in 24L, FH, SH & H mode.

Two versions - Because of HBR mode, I was forced to make two versions of Sanity 4, one for NTSC and one for PAL.

Samples - I've uploaded a zip file containing four raw MTS files, which show the same scene in 24P, HBR-30P, 1080i60 and 720p60. The shutter speed was set to 1/2000 sec, to really torture the codec. Even if you're a confirmed intra-junkie, you owe it to yourself to check this out. You just might be amazed.

[url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j72rc[/url]

NOTE: When downloading from Sendspace, click the button that says "Click here to start download from sendspace". Do not click anything else.

SANITY 4.1 UPDATE - March 27, 2012

Here is an update for SANITY with vastly improved stability for the PAL version. This sucker is STABLE. In fact, so stable that I was able to raise the data rate in FSH/SH mode to 36M. So, there's better picture quality, too.

I've also updated the NTSC version, although there was nothing wrong with version 4.0. I simply applied some of the things I learned from the PAL version, to make it even more stable. Call it preventative maintenence.

Again, what SANITY is about is top picture quality is ALL shooting modes with reasonable data rates and 100% reliability.

SANITY 5 UPDATE - April 14, 2012

Here is a new version of Sanity with some major changes. First, it fixes a problem with a subtle pulsing in the shadows in HBR mode. But more importantly, in the process of fixing the pulsing, I discovered a way to create monster size I frames, while still keeping the bitrate low. In 24P, we're talking about I frames approaching the one million mark with certain subject material. And this applies to 24L, as well! For 24H I had to lower the bitrate from 66M to 38M, and yet the image quality is the same (and maybe better). I applied this technique to all modes; 24P, 1080i, 720P and HBR.

Sanity 5 is unified for NTSC and PAL - there is only one version.

Spanning works with 24L, FH, SH & H modes. When spanning, do not go above ISO 5000 and do not use ETC. Spanning works in HBR mode with third party manual lenses. Do not go above ISO 3200. Spanning does not work reliably in HBR mode when using Panasonic lenses.

SANITY 5.1 UPDATE - December 29, 2012

SANITY 5.1 fixes a problem of the image severly breaking up and prevents it from occuring. I strongly recommend SANITY 5 users install the update.

SANITY 5.1 works reliably in all shooting modes - 24H, 24L, FSH, FH, SH, H, HBR, ETC in all modes, and all variable frame rates.

I did extensive spanning tests of SANITY 5.1 and it's the same as SANITY 5 with one addition - ETC spans when shooting in 24L mode. Here are the patch notes for spanning:

Spanning works in 24L, FH, SH & H modes. When spanning, do not go above ISO 5000. Spanning works with ETC in 24L mode. Do not go above ISO 3200. Spanning does not work with ETC in any other mode. Spanning works in HBR mode with third party manual lenses. Do not go above ISO 3200. Spanning does not work reliably in HBR mode when using lenses with electrical contacts.

Enjoy, and good shooting!

Sanity 4 - NTSC.zip
    900B
    Sanity 4 - PAL.zip
    899B
    SANITY 4.1 NTSC.zip
    725B
    SANITY 4.1 PAL.zip
    721B
    Sanity 5.zip
    Sanity 5.1.zip
    994B
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • What's the bit rate at 24p?

• Video Bitrate 24H=66000000 Video Bitrate 24L=29300000 Video Bitrate FSH/SH=32000000 Video Bitrate FH/H=24000000

• @Ralph_B , did you try Cluster v1 ?

• Downloaded the files ...Umm.... that 720 is nice, dang not much between any of them. Bit of sensor noise in them all, but was 1/2000 shutter after all. Good work Ralph. Choices...damn.

• thanks @Ralph_B files look great, hard to believe that bit rates are that low. Definitively worth a try under different light conditions. Which picture style / settings did you use for these samples?

• I've tried it, look nice, a bit more saturated compared to Cake, which I also like..

Could you describe your approach, what's was the premise on creating this patch apart of stability?

• Thanks a lot I will try it tonight. Currently i am using sanity 3.1 and I love it. I am new in this business, I only can help uploading videos, no idea about parameters.

• Sanity 3.1

• Impressive settings, great IQ, great QP and excellent efficiency. Will they hold at high ISOs?

• @Ralph_B

unfortunately I get write speed errors on SanDisk 95MB/s (32GB) in HBR mode (PAL).

• @Ralp_B i did like version 3.1 more.
    That version did give (for me) a much more clean image....
    i did put the sedna A matrix in sanity4, but there is still a lot of noise.
    i did only test it in 720 tele2 mode
    So that can explain some, but still more noise the v3.1

• @Mozes You tested 3.1 vs 4 back to back under the same lighting conditions? Or is that from memory?

SpanMyBU v1 and Sanity v3/3.1 were my codecs of choice at NAMM, so I`m curious.

• From memory...
    It was one off the first good 720 patches, so i did use for a long time.
    and to be honest, the latest patches are so good, that i am get spoiled...

• Will this work with PNY Class 10 Cards?

How much footage can you record on 16GB card give or take in 24P H mode?

• @Chaos123x Will this work with PNY Class 10 Cards? - it should.

How much footage can you record on 16GB card give or take in 24P H mode? - I assume you mean 24L mode; about 1 hour, 3 min.

• @towi

Try an ordinary class 10 card.

• @olegkalyan Could you describe your approach, what's was the premise on creating this patch apart of stability?

To get the best image quality in all modes and to keep bitrates, well... sane.

• @peaceonearth Which picture style / settings did you use for these samples?

The picture profile was Standard set at -2,-2,+2,-2. I find that when I lower contrast, I need to boost saturation to compensate. But, that's just my personal aesthetic. It has no bearing on the patch itself.

• @duartix Impressive settings, great IQ, great QP and excellent efficiency. Will they hold at high ISOs?

You bet! I did most of the development at high ISO's. Rendering clean noise is very important to me.

• Tried it out a little this afternoon and it looks great! 24H on 16 GB Transcend Class 10 card with no problems using the 20mm 1.7 lens. Will do more testing tomorrow, and hopefully post some footage as well.

Nice job! This looks like a keeper!

• It freezes in sh mode when i start recording with my class 10 sandisk cards (30mb/s and 45mb/s).

• @marie. . I haven't any problems sh mode (720p) on a sandisk 45mbs. Are you in PALL?

Red may have been a bit to saturated, but I was shooting in Standard, 00000, when comparing different patches. Today I'll try to tone it down some and start testing grading and correction.

@Ralph_B, would smooth -2.. be best for correcting in post? How will Sanity hold up in post compared to other patches? Was this a priority?

It really looks good! thanks!

• Well sorry my problem is not specific to this patch. I was trying to record with a very high shutter speed in bright sunlight (to experiment with twixtor). The only way I found to avoid the crash is to start recording with front cap on.

• @marie : Your hand, if close enough to the lens would probably work the same.

• Quick questions, I assume spanning working by above posts insinuating it, and is EXT tele-conversion working?