Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
COVID: More viruses coming as gene printing will become widely available

Nuclera, a fast-growing biotech company developing enzymatic protein and gene synthesis technologies, and E Ink, the leading innovator of electronic ink technology, are pleased to announce the acquisition of E Ink’s digital microfluidics unit into the newly formed US subsidiary of Nuclera. Combining the technologies of the two companies will enable the delivery of a revolutionary desktop protein and gene “bioprinter” with breakthrough speed and convenience for researchers in human health, agriculture, and other markets of global importance.

Nuclera has been working in a strategic partnership with E Ink since 2018 to deploy Nuclera’s proprietary biopolymer synthesis technologies on E Ink’s digital microfluidic devices. Instead of the physical channels found in conventional microfluidics, digital microfluidics uses electronic signals to guide microdroplets. When combined with Nuclera biopolymer synthesis, this advanced lab-on-a-chip technology will enable a user to digitally program the next day bioprinting of proteins and genes on a desktop device. The result is a bioprinter that gives unprecedented access to biology. Commercialization is expected in 2022.

sa17250.jpg
    800 x 630 - 31K
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • Grate. Now it’s official. I want to get in the business of printing “genes” sure it’s good money, can sell masks and gloves also, after printing my “viru.. ehemm... pro.. protein, yes protein” that you can breathe and will give you powers. Mask not included and gloves sold a separate item.

• Can anyone give examples on what this "printer" can print. I don't know what a (bio)polymer is, I actually don't have a handle on most of the things in the press release. Can in fact print directed sequences of DNA/RNA? This is how we become gods I suppose.

• @radikalfilm

It allows to print parts of RNA (DNA is harder) and also long proteins.

For example, mass PCR testing that we saw last year also had been only possible due to large amount of special printers. As all primers are initially printed. It is only later that they have some process to make big amount of primers from small amount that had been printed.

In late 2020 few companies made revelation that they can directly print without single defect full RNA of virus that is twice as complex as COVID.