Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
My 5DtoRGB Automator app
  • I made this Automator app to help me with the copy and prep of H.264 and AVCHD clips for batch transcoding with 5DtoRGB 1.5.3b. I use it with my AF100 and GH2. It will also work with 5D, 7D, etc.

Things you need to utilize the "Launch 5DtoRGB Batch Script" feature:

1. Rarevision's 5DtoRGB 1.5.3b. http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/
    2. The Modified 5DtoRGB Batch Script (supplied). The original version was made by Remi SELLO for Noside Production company in France. The modified version also imports .MTS files and not just .MOV files

In order to use the "Launch 5DtoRGB Batch Script" feature of "5DtoRGB copy and prep", "5DtoRGB 1.5.3b" needs to be in the "Applications" folder on your main drive unless you want to modify the 5DtoRGB Batch script. Also you must have the the the "5DtoRGB Batch Script" somewhere on your Mac, preferably on the main drive where Spotlight can easily find it.

What 5DtoRGB copy and prep does:

1. It will make a 3 folder directory structure based on a card number you input.
    2. It will copy over both upper and lowercase .MTS and .MOV files to the right folder.
    3. It will change lowercase .mov and .mts file extensions to uppercase for 5DtoRGB.
    4. It creates a READ ME.txt file and puts it in with the original clips folder.
    5. After the files copy over, it hides all other open Applications and opens 2 finder windows.
    6. It opens the "Modified 5DtoRGB Batch Script" and is ready to drag over the 2 folders

This was made with my limited Automator experience, so feel free to modify this to your needs or for more efficiency. I believe you can just open with Automator to customize. Enjoy.

5DtoRGB copy and prep v2.zip
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, I tried your Automator, I don't see the point of changing the MTS to MOV extension. A simple modification of the original "Batch Script" will do the batch conversion by looking for MTS files, I believe some other people has made that modification already.

The resulting files from your Automator method and using the modified script method, I got the same result, which is the ProRes I converted too has no audio at all. In fact, it don't even have timecode.

I have not checked whether the "card number" information is embedded as "reel" information in each clips, but I don't think so it does. I think that was not your intention as well.

TESTING RESULT

Using 5DtoRGB standalone and dragging each clips to convert one-by-one the converted clips got audio and timecode.

Using the original batch and your automator method, I'm not sure why the audio and timecode disappeared from the resulting clips.

I think there must be some "code" MISSING in the original batch command script that enabled MUXING and TIMECODE. Probably the programmer never release those code so as to sell the paid version.

Thank you for your effort though, looking forward to see what v2 improvement you made. Doesn't hurt to have different ways of doing things.

• @tcwdoggy

The Batch script MTS modification was just reviled to me a few hours ago and will be address in v2.

As for Automator not recording sound, it must have found an older version of the batch script somewhere on your computer and used that accidentally, "5DtoRGB copy and prep" can't make changes like that, but it can accidentally open the wrong batch file if you have multiple ones on your machine.

The user imputed card number info is only for labeling the folders, nothing more.

As far as I know there is not a batch script that lets you keep timecode, if there is, I'd love a copy.

• First post updated with v2.

• Curious if this works with the new 5dtorgb lite 1.5.8

• @Brian202020 I would like to use 5DtoRGB but for some time (perhaps around the time I installed FCPX) the program has been giving me the 'missing Prores codecs' warnings, even though they are in my QuickTime library. I have disabled the warning in Preferences to no avail. The files either come out black or 5DtoRGB crashes. I have tried every update and 5DtoRGB lite, all with the same outcome. Any thoughts?

• @jhero I downloaded 1.5.8 Lite and so far can't get Remi's batch script to work.

@Kount_Michula Not sure what to tell you, I have FCPX and 5DtoRGB 1.5.3b, both work fine. I do also have FCP7 installed as well, so im not sure if that matters at all. Maybe try deleting 5DtoRGB and/or FCPX and reinstalling it.

• @Brian202020

Just open and modify the script and put the proper path of the executable inside 5DtoRGB Lite.app Package and it should work just fine, even with the Mac App Store 1.5.8 Lite version. It works for me ;o)

• @ambrius I did put the proper path and it did launch 1.5.8, but the setting I put in the script didn't take for some reason. Can you post a copy of your edited batch script?

• @Brian202020 thanx ..worked for me with 5DtoRGB 1.5.3b ...brilliant..i didnt have patience to read all instructions,so I put batch command in prep folder with my original footage and dragged output folder into terminal window...transcode passed without problem.

• @Brian202020. Hope you figured out how to get the ProRes codec to install for FCPX. For anyone else, here is the solution. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/868229#868232

• Anybody found a way to use the Automator script with the current 5DtoRGB Lite under Mountain Lion?

I have edited the script for it's path, but it doesn't start.

Got it all working on an older system with 1.5.3b, but my new one is so much faster, I'd really like to use it.

• The batch version is totally worth it!