Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
37mm Century Optics Anamorphic Adapter w/ Diopter
  • Bought one of the last 37mm Adapters on Amazon cause I wanted a new one not just a ebay hand me down. It works on 28mm up to 135mm manual lenses with no vignetting. The problem was close focus, within 3-5 feet.

Without a diopter you can't focus that close. The Eyepatch Productions guy has done various vlogs on using anamorphic adapters specializing on the La7000, but thats out of my price range. He did use a cheap diopter, instead of the $100+ the guy from EOSHD recommends and he got good close focus. I asked if any cheap diopter would do and he said yes. I ordered a set of 62mm diopters from adorama, these: http://www.adorama.com/MC62CUS.html Their name brand set and it cost under $25 shipped.

They allowed me to close focus. Not sure the order they'll attach, but these are with an old Nikon E 50mm 1.8 around 4 feet away. Image10 is without diopter. Image9 is with 1+ diopter. And image11 is bare lens no adapter. Shot with poor fluorescent overhead lights and iso 640. Image6 is iso100 with diopter. Lens wide open in each shot.
    Image10.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 222K
    Image9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 237K
    Image11.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 286K
    Image6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 186K
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • great - so u used step down ring for the 37mm, but its bayonet right or how did u mount it?

have you done more testing and would you recommend the DS-1609-37?

thanks
    ralph
  • I used a step down ring to the different threads on some lenses I have. It has a rotating element in a housing that has a screw to keep it stable once you're on the level, but it doesn't really work because you can screw the threaded part tight, but then when you rotate the element it could loosen accidentaly. So you have to rotate them against each other and figure out the alignment by sight and feel.

Not a run and gun setup and using the diopters for close focus it gives you a very narrow range of focus. I haven't had a chance to do more tests. I paid $270 when it was new and got one of the last new models, but they're all sold out at that price. I wouldn't pay much more than $300 for one and only if it's in good condition. It was the last best one of it's kind at the original price, but if you want the best you'd need the LA700 and that's probably $1k+ now.

Your best budget anamorphic is just crop it and use the fishing wire setup for the occasional flare.
  • I just tried this on my new GH2 and with the Crop, the edge softness is gone. This isn't focused the best cause of my shake hands, but the edge blur is gone on zoom. If you combine this with a c mount lens this could be a good combo.

Ana1 is zoomed, Ana2 isn't. Lens is a 50mm Minolta MD F1.7. This "Anamorphic" adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D380K2/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
    Anamorphic1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 322K
    Anamorphic2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 250K