Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Thoughts/comments on possible RAW hardware hack?
  • Discussion abound regarding hardwiring a $500 board to the GH2 for RAW image capture... Something like the Andromeda.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • I have no comments. As title is very misleading. And overall it looks like bullshit. Andrometa kept telling strange things about HPX (and this was CCD sensors). And never did anything.

If this poster wants he could come to this forum and describe things in detail.

• TO be fair, everyone thought Andromeda was BS with the DVX100, and it existed, worked, and was pretty amazing. I had a chance to demo it myself and at the time I did wish I had the money to spend. That was over six years ago, when computing tech wasn't as nice for the application IMO. (which means in my opinion)

They were bought out by a larger unnamed company and Juan stopped building.

I invited Dan over to PV to get a clear understanding on what's going on.

• I wanted to shoot my film so badly on andromeda when it was the next big thing in late 2005. I ended up spending more and going S16, which ended up better, but sometimes I still wish I had found the money to get my dvx100 hacked. I think the andromeda hack still has a very unique visual quality that you dont find on anything other than red cameras. Throw on a 35mm adapter, however, and you'll need tons of light to shoot anything.

With CMOS, reading the whole sensor raw seems like it will up the jello and heat factor. The GH2 already has the 40fps burst mode, so maybe that wouldn't really be an issue.

• With CMOS, reading the whole sensor raw seems like it will up the jello and heat factor.

Again. They never modified anything, all they did is connect and get the signals already present. Sensor is always read in RAW.

• Yes, here lies the problem I think. I don't think the sensor can read all the pixel at 16 megapixel at 24 fps. I think that it is sampling part of them, the 40 fps 4 megapixel jpeg burst could be a hint of the gh2 sampling. It is a good compromise of bitrate/processing compared to the I think 1 to 1 sampling of the Canon. That is why we have much less moire/aliasing but they are not completely eliminated. In this case, could the processing engine they have with the 2.5 k sensor enough to process the gh2 at raw level?

• @danyyyel

Their modifications never ever modified how sensor works and it's reading mode.
    All they are doing is connect between ADC and main LSI, and storing RAW data.
    For CCD it had been quite easy task. But even with them they completely failed for cameras after DVX100.

• So, the optimacine potential gh2 hack thing is BS?

• I always wished a Lab at MIT or other tech University would tap the signal prior to the codec in the camera. Just to see how good the image could be.