Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
100Mbps Flow Motion v1.11 Failsafe Patch with HBR 25p & 50p modes
  • 574 Replies sorted by
  • Heh - hopefully EOSHD doesn't repackage your settings and call it the "Awesome EOSHD GH2 L337 Ultra-Hax0r" Patch.

• @bannedindv hahaha.. oh wait.. really? another super-duper useful and highly appreciated post to this topic..

• I agree, excellent writing! Had me hooked for the entire read. Plus I'm looking forward to your settings :)

• @lpowell

Which timezone are you in... ET ;D

• Flow Motion 1.0 is now released!

• Looks great, testing it now! Again, thanks for this!

• Thanks for your hard work. Will start testing directly. Noticed in ptools that the bitrate setting for 24L is 12 500 000 and for FH/H is 10 000 000. Is this correct??

• @MatsWedin Yes, those settings are correct, try it and see!

• Congratulations @lpowell. Very impressed. Going to test this out later tonight.

Does 100M span on the new Sandisk SDXC 64GB 95/mb cards? Can someone test this? Would be even more amazing.

• If you all don't mind a stupid question, where is the patch?

• @duartix raise your eyebrows...

• @duartix The patch is in the first post of the thread.

@sohus I've done all my testing on Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SD cards, dunno if 100Mbps will span on higher level cards. I've tweaked and tested the 24L, FH, and H modes specifically for use as 4GB file-spanning modes on Class 10 cards. You may be surprised at how good they look with static subjects.

• I swear I looked there but I didn't see it... A typical case where the forest (third post) hid the tree (first one). Thanks.

• Thanks for all the hard work. This is also a thank you for the terrific job you have done explaining everything. If this hasn't already been stickied, then it should be.

• @LPowell sorry I did not understand. it will span on Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SD cards at 24H?

Thanks

• @LPowell: You could probably get better MJPEG settings, well at least tweak them for the best resolution (which is not 1920) ;) Have a look here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37144#Comment_37144

I worked over Nick's MJPEG quantum settings and tuned Quality/Table settings for 2fps so don't touch yours, the big point is that 2048x864 will give a lot more detail than 1920x1080 (and when I say "a lot" I mean it's more than 50% more!!!)

I see that you've introduced a lot of quantiser table stuff, but what is making me curious is Encoder setting 4. What is it? A quantizer? I really wish there was a Wiki for these parameters even with a "Speculative documentation, don't mess with this, as you'll end up bricking your camera!" warning.

Again, thanks for you work.

• @duartix Sorry, I forgot to document the MJPEG settings, which are my 100Mbps MJPEG Low Light 1080p Patch:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/479/gh2-mjpeg-100mbps-low-light-1080p-patch/p1

This patch is optimized for consistent bitrate production, maintaining high bitrates of up to 100Mbps across the entire exposure range, under any and all illumination levels. It will work properly with a wide variety of frame sizes up 2048 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high. If you prefer setting the MJPEG HD frame to 2048x864, this will produce an anamorphic squeeze factor of 1.33x, suitable for use with anamorphic adapters such as the Pansonic LA7200.

Encoder Setting 4 is one of the patches I used to equalize bitrate differences between the three video modes, enabling them to function compatibly at 100Mbps.

• I like this. Grain and macroblocking look as good as anything I have seen. I see no problems with motion. The files are tiny and seem to play in the typical circumstances that have had problems. IQ looks real good but I have the subjective impression that some of the Intra versions may have looked better. I will try to set up an objective comparison. I noticed that the highest frame size only gets to about half the limit. Does that mean there is potential to extract some additional benefits?

• @ LPowell What will produce the highest possible image.... Flow Motion or Quantum X ?

• I was already going to update my AF100 firmware and my SmallHD firmware today, and now my GH2 firmware will be updated today as well. Thanks LPowell.

• Thanks for helping me understand what you smart guys are doing to make my footage look better! :)

• Im hooked on GOP 1 now....its like video crack for me...Will need some help easing back to GOP 3 and beyond...

• I will most definitly give it a try. A few days ago I ran through 32GB on full-on Driftwood. Superbe footage but it kinda feels like the old P2 times.

• @LPowell: 1h20mins non-stop at 1080p24 H 64Gb ExPro Sandisk 95, Nokton 25mm f0.95, ISO800 (after ISO bug correction), Shutter 50, all -2 : Span - no problem, switched off the camera straight after continuous 1h20, then on - no problem with further recording, Cam playback - fine, shows 1hr remaining on card, MediaInfo - File size: 4.00 Gib, Duration (per spanned block): 18mn 4s, Bit rate mode: Variable, Bit rate: 30.2 Mbps (rather low), Maximum bit rate: 97.3 Mbps. Tested with both movement and stationary. So far so good. Visually however the first impression I had was not as good as I had hoped- the compression artefacts and the detail seemed worse than cbrandin 66. Am I doing something wrong? Back to testing...

vlcsnap-2012-01-25-17h54m45s152.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • After further testing, Quantum Beta 3, which I have found to be the overall most stable, has very noticeably better image quality than this patch. Extremeley fine detail is getting smoothed over even at low ISO.