Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • "After spending lots of time comparing all the videos from both camera, I feel very comfortable to say the GH5S has noticeably better video tracking performance when compared to the GH5. (GH5S running pre-production firmware 0.2 GH5 running firmware 2.2)

GH5S’s focus tracking just seems to be more responsive, it pick up changes a lot quicker. And the most important thing is the consistency seems to be much better than the GH5. With the GH5, when it detects and tracks the subject, frankly I think it works not too bad. The problem is that every now and then, the camera would just take a nap and stop or take a long time to follow the subject. Now with the GH5S, while it is still not perfect, but the consistency is just so much better. The GH5S almost always can detect any changes in focus and adjust reasonably quickly and correctly afterwards. I also notice a lot less overshoot when it’s adjusting focus as well when compare to the GH5."

http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gh5s-review/

• Not sure if this has been posted. It's a pretty good overview. Worth mentioning is that the GH5s mini-jack input can be switched to accept LINE Level audio. Nice.

• For those complaining about a lack of IBIS, a point to remember that the sensor moves around in the image circle

Possibly (I don't know, just a theory) the multi aspect ratio nature of the sensor is already pushing it to the limits of some Panasonic MFT lenses, limiting the spare space for the IBIS to work in?!?!

Personally I somewhat doubt it, but it is a possible other explanation.

Worth mentioning is that the GH5s mini-jack input can be switched to accept LINE Level audio. Nice.

Glad to see other people mentioning this, not just me :-) As yes, this is also another FIRST for a still cameras. Having line level input.

• I heard that the new sensor is thicker and heavier, that was an issue for the IBIS. I don't know if it's true.

• GH5s multi aspect sensor, dual gain ISO and other features explained by Gordon Laing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=508&v=uDaglh-nUmA

• @Eno

I believe this video is present on previous page.

• I skipped the gh5 because it didn't have the MAR sensor. I feel this is the first real GH camera since the gh2 since we are back to 1.85 crop.

• Was thinking of getting a GH5, might just wait a bit, save a few more extra and go for the GH5S. I especially liked the few samples showcasing "fine noise" unlike the less noisy but much more blocky look of other low light cameras. I always thought noise play an important part into perceived sharpness of an image and removing it just loose that extra thing. Also multi aspect ratio and lack of Stabilizer (I hate stabilizer for shooting movie).

• Idea for camera: GH5 S with IBIS, blue button to turn IBIS on/off.
    @plasmamp the MAR on the GH2 was a nice look. My 12mm particularly but also the 14mm.

• I skipped the gh5 because it didn't have the MAR sensor.

Not even GH3 or GH4 had it either! Nice to return back to GH2 world :-) Good times.

I found some fun GH5S memes on FB:

26239718_10156020872351624_2404483515442518665_n.jpg
    250 x 250 - 18K
    26230016_10156020944961624_6973904345252097026_n.jpg
    600 x 500 - 49K
    26733592_10156114003259365_5245115512412407999_n.jpg
    750 x 515 - 36K
  • I recently shot a 13 episode ( www.youtube.com/senseofplaceshow ) travel thing around Europe and the US I am editing them in mixed order. 5 were GH4 hand-held with a cage and EVF for another point of contact, but not full rig, and A7s on a gimbal into an Assassin for 4k. The other 8 were GH5 handheld with no EVF and the A7s on a gimbal into a Flame for 4k.

The GH5 was a jump for the better color and handling of Vlog (when I use it, I've gone back and forth), but without question, as I edit this material back in mixed order, I really notice the IBIS difference in GH5 material. I'm editing a GH4 ep right now, and it's just...looser, I guess...still looks pretty good, but run and gun crazy hand-held looks like run and gun crazy hand-held. There is something remarkably smoother about the GH5 eps...still hand-held sometimes, but as if it was from a heavier camera, or planned.

IBIS changes the way a camera feels and what you can do with it, opens up creative possibilities, and makes me hope for a future where all cameras can be rock solid when I stand still, or maybe even act like a gimbal without a gimbal someday.

So while I don't get the sudden effort to minimize IBIS, I don't see the need for argument the other way, either...to me, the GH5s looks like a flexible EVA1 (I happen to be a fan of small form factors), with the option of an XLR module and speedbooster it is an extremely powerful little beast, and there are tripods and gimbals and what-not to stabilize. As my aging, ailing A7s comes up for replacement, I imagine I'd still say A7s, but I can see how someone might not want the color matching headache, and pair a GH5 and GH5s.

• It puzzles me that who are the target users for GH5s. Vloggers? No, IBIS is a must. Semi-expensive camera for family & holiday videos? No, IBIS is a must. Professionals? No, they can afford better and more expensive cameras. Semi-serious short film makers? Maybe if they add gimbal to it. But the price is little bit on the expensive side, they could buy used BM/Sony A7s (II) camera or something for same or little bit more money.

• @tonalt

This one is simple.

Panasonic was long asked to make low res high DR sensor small camera.

As they made it became obvious that you need proper cooling, hence no IBIS.

As for audience, it will be mostly rich guys who want best filmmaking camera without shooting anything except their cat at backyard.

• There will be a version with IBIS. But it will be missing something else.

• @DrDave

There will be a version with IBIS. But it will be missing something else.

New lineup

• GH6 $1999 - 30Mp m43 sensor, IBIS, 4K 60fps at 100Mbit, with heavy moire and slow AF, $99 VLOG
    • GH6R $2699 - 40Mb m43sensor, IBIS, 4K 30fps at 50Mbit, horrible noise and DR, $199 VLOG
    • GH6V $2999 - 20Mp m43 sensor, IBIS, 4K 60fps at 200Mbit, slight moire, GH5 level DR, $99 VLOG
    • GH6S $2999- 10Mp m43sensor, no IBIS, 4K at 120fps 400Mbit, no moire, better DR, two free VLOG options
    • GH6LE $999 - 20Mp m43sensor, no IBIS, 4K at 30fps 50Mbit, slight moire, low DR, $299 for VLOG

Just do not kick me too hard if they will do exactly this lineup.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I personally am very happy with the Panasonic decision to make 3 flagships cameras instead of one cause I got the G9 which serves me the best from the 3 and it's also the cheapest. If at one moment I need more special video features and insane low light I can rent the GH5s. This whole situation (which you ridiculed) gave me more choices, and I'm glad because of it. :)

By the way, I'm pretty sure the GH6 will have 8K video and probably most deviations of it also.

• @tonalt it's a perfect lowlight and B-Camera not only but for sure for EVA-1, Varicam LT and GH5.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Perhaps they will make a new modular camera so you can add them as modules! (that's a joke but like you said don't kick me). Personally not as impressed with what I have seen as the reviewers seem to be. That being said I'd have to use one to be sure. I think I'd spend the $500 on more lights.

• If the reviewers don't act properly impressed by every new expensive camera, they may receive fewer pre-production units for testing and they won't get all of the clicks on the day when the product is announced... and even worse, they may miss out on hot air balloon rides.

• Professionals? No, they can afford better and more expensive cameras.

It is the perfect B cam!

Not all professionals film exclusively on five figure cameras.

But the price is little bit on the expensive side, they could buy used BM/Sony A7s (II) camera or something for same or little bit more money.

Yeah, but I'd much MUCH rather have the superior GH5S than those you mentioned.

• Sony needs to update the apsc line cameras with a 4k60p model, some kind of a A6700 or A7000, reduce the megapixels and keep IBIS on it = kill panasonic.