Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Wide lens with easy starbust effect under U$500?
  • Nokton have an amazing facility to achieve this effect with stunning clarity and from a low opening F2.5, the problem here is the price, these lenses are around $1,000. Does anyone have any idea if there will be a wide angle with similar effect and is accessible to work on night images?

I have read that this effect is achieved with optics with a number of odd knives. But not all have such a level, with my PanaLeica 25mm 1.4 I need to close to F7+ with what I have less light input and feel the difference.

Thanks.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • @Manu4Vendetta

I think need to look for older lenses. Yes, odd number of diaphragm blades and non rounded blades.

• Have a look a star filters.

• @Psyco

Including software ones.

Also more radical option is to get cheap manual lens and remove aperture replacing it with star shaped fixed aperture. Not so hard.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, Ok, but what lens?

@Psyco, I have thinked in that option, but can be a look more artificial.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Any good suitable lens. Can even use new Chinese cheap lenses.

• Thank you @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I see that most are very expensive optics Leica and Zeiss. The effect from the Samyang dond convince me, I see it lack of character and at a level far below (not as a lens, but in that effect). My Panasonic 14 2.5 give me that like Samyang.

The rest (CaNikon) I see that most are telephoto.

Look like the only angular that gives this effect with both character and low apertura is the Nokton. :(

• A lot of the old manual focus AIS Nikkor primes do a star filter effect...

I have a few images on Flickr that demonstrate this and most will have lens and camera settings listed below the image...see here

flickr.com/photos/spectrapix

The examples below have this effect...the bottom image was shot using a Tokina 12 -24 which is wide enough on micro four thirds using a metabones adapter.

22-Electricity.jpg
    1000 x 614 - 360K
    D50_2005_1119_NEF_00005-Framed.jpg
    1020 x 720 - 762K
  • Tokina 11-16 mk1 does this.

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 13.08.24.png
    971 x 522 - 554K
  • Lensbaby Sweet

sa536.jpg
    794 x 527 - 87K
    sa537.jpg
    475 x 355 - 28K