Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How To Use The Rule Of Thirds
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Good luck to anyone trying to apply the concepts in that second video to motion pictures.

• I agree ROT produces pretty dire conformed images, especially for interviews. Sure it looks clean and non distraction and is fine for a CNN interview say but there are a 100 ways to skin a cat. I do think these rules are worth learning but its true you hear, its all about knowing when to break them....well I guess but I would be more interested in seeing how different compositions make the viewer feel.

When I line a shot up I naturally am thinking is this a nice image, its not nuclear physics. The truth is I think some people have a visual eye and taste for what looks good, some simply don't and you can't learn it really, you can imitate it sure but then you go back to clunky art. I think its more important to know the effect a composition has on the viewer be is a high shot or low shot or centred etc. I personally nearly always want to line my shot up with lines i see in an image be it the horizon or lines of a room etc. after that I do what i feel like doing.

And in conclusion rules are not made to be broken but for dull learned artists to criticise more interesting ones with..