Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Puppet (1st Short Film)
  • Hey guys,

I know these forums are mostly about cameras and live-action stuff, but my girlfriend recently finished her first short film. It's completely CGI, created from scratch with only a graphic tablet and a couple of Adobe products (Photoshop -> After Effects -> Premiere). I gave her a little bit of technical advise and I also wrote the music.

I think her first short film turned out really great!

Plot: A circus puppet dreams of a life in freedom. Length: 5:09 min

I hope you guys enjoy it!

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I know these forums are mostly about cameras and live-action stuff,

Why do you think so?

• It just seemed to me that way, I haven't seen a lot of CGI-related discussion around here. That may have been a wrong assumption!

• Yep, but if you start making such topics and invite some of your friends you'll see much more of them :-)

• Will do!

Looking forward to hear your opinions about the film! :-)

• Beautiful! Best of luck to your girlfriend with all her projects! The same to you! BTW. Now Flash is going to be renamed Animate CC and I am sure is going to be fantastic for animators. Most likely is going to incorporate After Effects animation capabilities. I hope they include the facial movement tracking feature and maybe body too!

• Personally I liked the city landscape with the clouds and the tire with the water, those were probably the strongest images reaching me brain. The erasing effect together with the sound of erasing itself feels like pure digital paraphernalia, too cliché and furthermore doesn't help the story in any clear form... that said the idea of someone drawing (factual reality even if onto a tablet) is something that has been explored and that might add an extra layer of depth if wisely engaged and not as an easy (read c+v) glue to juxtapose different sceneries. The sound was good till got a bit illustrative, dreamy dreamy little ant. Also liked the perspective and the way the truck was shown and animated against the BG.
    It's a first? Good, then now a second have to come, looking forward Anika's and your work, really do =)

Hope U don't mind me leaving some... stuff here on the freedom of hand and illustrative sound serving a clear purpose, of using medium/environment own limitations and permutations on (rough) sounds and on reality distortion...

• To both of you, thank you very much! I showed Anika your responses and she was really, really thrilled!

Also thanks for your tips, they will help her a lot next time. :-)

BTW, I think you have a valid point, maxr. The erasing effects kind of lack a real purpose, although I personally did like the idea. Good to have some constructive criticism!

• Very good. Talented. Music and sound also good.

• Thanks a bunch! Glad you liked the music, too.