Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-M1 Mk II topic
  • 289 Replies sorted by
  • After the owl heard about the one full stop it coughed up a partially digested mouse.

• After the owl heard about the one full stop it coughed up a partially digested mouse.

Well, to got this mouse this owl can tell you even about 3 stops. Like this idiotic Olympus claims about stabilization improvements.

Now, just imagine situation if all review sites will be fully and absolutely honest and start reporting 2-5% improvements (and sometimes degradation) in all mean things, and it is only each 2 years.
    Will it help the walking dead (I mean camera market)?

• In a shrinking market, there are always people who will buy the most expensive item on the menu.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/05/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-sample-images/#/

Btw, one of our sources that that Mk II launch PR, marketing and such is largest cost in Olympus history, all of this is included in price.

img2836.jpg
    790 x 581 - 54K
  • Video look good, no RS and the IBIS is great. If Panasonic will not launch GH5 soon, they will have a problem.

• I've compared the new Em1 mk2 to D7200 and GH4 (which uses the same sensor as the original EM1). Samples are taken from Imaging resource, converted in RawTherapee and resized to mach the Gh4's resolution.

From my observation the Em1 mk2 is on par with D7200 and almost one stop better than Gh4.

This concludes the new Sony 20,4 Mp sensor is a real breakthrough in image quality over the previous generation! Olympus kept their word and the new sensor is around one stop better than their previous one, comparable with top of the line APS-C's.

Em1 mk2 vs D7200 vs GH4.jpg
    1598 x 976 - 874K
  • But how does it compare to the PEN-F?

• @liork, it's cleaner but it's hard to tell by how much (probably 1/3 of a stop or something).

Pen f vs EM1 mk 2.jpg
    1598 x 976 - 915K
  • I did that, and it looks very similar to PEN-F file.

• @Eno I don't see that it is a real breakthrough, the still images look like the GX85. A small improvement, and in some cases there is absolutely no question that the Mark I resolves the same amount of detail.

• @DrDave. GX 85 has the same quality as GH4 in RAW and I clearly see around 2/3 to almost a stop difference between them and higher resolved detail in the 20,4 Mpix sensor.

GX85 vs EM1 mk2.jpg
    1596 x 976 - 906K
    GX85 vs EM1 mk2.jpg
    1595 x 975 - 856K
  • $1999.00 for a M4/3 camera. No thank you.... When the GH4 first came out it was sort of a game changer in terms of features and price point for a 4K camera. 4K was basically the only reason why I purchased the GH4.

Olympus as far as I can tell was a better stills camera but was just ok for video. That was 2 years ago. Fast forward till today and there are many many more options for stills and video.

If I were intrested in a mirrorless camera today and was looking to spend about 2k on body alone I would personally get either the Fuji XT2 or the Sony A6500 over the Olympus or GH5. Especially at the $2000.00 price point.

• Most forums now remind some form of masochists meeting where people going through Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle. Almost all passed denial stage. Most passed anger stage for now, but still some loud part remains. Part is on bargaining stage, including some individual reviewers. Most of people in depression stage left temporary. And lot of guys want to find good reasons why price set by right foot of drunken Olympus top manager is fully logically founded. This is acceptance stage.

And reviewers remind me of active sadists who can do anything for money.

• @Eno I have tested these cams myself under a wide range of scenes, lights and shutter speeds, both handheld and tripod, and the GX85 is better than the GH4, absolutely no doubt about it.

• @DrDave, from the sample provided by IR, I personal couldn't find a difference between GH4 and GX85 but there may be some sample variances between the sensor so what you tell may also be true.

Anyway, I find the new Olympus camera to be nice and all but as everyone else here says, way to expensive! I'm personally interested in the Gh5 and it's safe to assume it will be using a similar sensor with similar RAW performance. But even so, over 2000$ my interest is drastically reduced to 0. :)

• @Eno The GH5 will not be cheaper. maybe even more expensive.

• @liork If it's more than 2000$ they can shove it through their @ss (excuse my language).

• IMO, if the GH5 is more expensive, i seriously doubt about the future of Panasonic GH camera ...

• GH4 was originally more expensive than E-M1. The GH5 will be focused more on video professionals.

• But as much as I would have liked this camera to be priced lower, is it really overpriced? Just the fact that almost 4 years of inflation have passed since the original E-M1 plus the fact that the Japanese Yen has appreciated about 20% in the last few months, this alone nearly justifies the entire 33% price hike. Add to this the Japanese earthquake that has caused a rise in sensor prices…

I say the technology alone and the amazing capabilities that this camera provides justify the price of entry. These things require a lot of R&D and manufacturing and miniaturising this kind of power isn’t trivial either. Is there any other camera that provides this combination of functionality, speed and ruggedness in such a compact package? I don’t know of any at this time. This is market-leading capability.

Perfect illustration of acceptance stage in Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle.

• Some new shots from 4:30 and on. We had the camera last week a few more hours :-) Not very scientific approach but hope you enjoy.

• HAHAHAHAHAHA : ) Here I am... rocking like a hurricane!