Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DryLin Linear Motion Low Cost
  • Just found these- DryLin make industrial Linear Motions.
    Low cost because they come 'as is' - DIY holes etc... No issue whatsoever!

FOR IMAGE ONLY- PROBABLY NOT BEST PRICE:
    http://www.amazon.com/DryLin®-W1080-Linear-Motion-Sliders/dp/B003Y54PPY
    21LwkXkQKUL._AA300_.jpg
    300 x 300 - 5K
    Drylin_Linear_Slides_Linear_Rails.jpg
    494 x 202 - 27K
  • 20 Replies sorted by
  • I have been looking at this diy slider too this link might help you out http://www.zazaslider.com/instructions.html
  • I've been using this for a few months. I like it. To control it properly, I move the plate with 2 hands rather than push the camera or mount. It will give you some great shots if you put the rails on a tripod head and then add a slight incline, tilt, etc. depending on what you're after. I bought the one that you have to drill and thread the screws yourself (no pre-drilled threads). Doing it really frees you up to do whatever you want. I'm adding holes for lights, etc. so it can be a light rack when its not a slider.

• I just ordered the W-1040A via Amazon Prime for around $95

• I found this site that sell a motor for the Igus slider: http://www.b-hague.co.uk/hague_motorized_camera_slider.htm You know others?

• Never really looked into motors but wow that looks great!

• Not a huge fan of the Igus slider. It came missing four bolts, no holes in the carriage plate, and three of the four silicon bearings broke / fell out within three months of getting it. And their customer service is some of the rudest I've encountered.

• @Kihlian would be better to drive the slider by means of a toothed belt.

For manual movements DryLin/Igus is not a good system. If you start or stop sliding you will always face a big stick/slip issue. Also friction along the line is not always constant. Hence movement tends to be unsteady.

In my opinion a manually driven slider systems could offer smoother movements if it would be based on wheels combined with rotational dampers. Think about mechanical model like in attatched picture.

But I have never seen something like that...

Mechanical Model of Camera Slider.JPG
    781 x 645 - 34K
  • I have just Ordered through work the Hybrid system by Igus to see if its any good.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/igus_hybrid_camera_slider_hague_pro_camslide.htm

Once it arrives I will Let you know what its Like But Things do take along time to get ordered here at work so I may be sometime in writing what its like

• For manual movements DryLin/Igus is not a good system

Agree, this is why I´m looking for a motor, but, I haven´t the Mc Giver touch, so I´m looking for one. Looks like it works good from this video:

• @Khilian if you only want to work with horizontal movements a clothesline driven slider should be ok...

Following will not be possible...

• @tida Never think about it would´n work with vertical movements. Thanks for reminding, now I doubt about this one. Have to look for another motor solution.

• I buy a motor for mi slider from this eBay member:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/200803428562?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Very happy with it, cost me 240,50 € with shipping, has variable speed, battery. Has a very simple construction so I think I could change alone some elements in the future if they break. Has a toothed belt so with a little help could also work vertically.

IMG_0001.JPG
    2592 x 1456 - 772K
    IMG_0004.JPG
    2592 x 1456 - 1M
    IMG_0002.JPG
    2592 x 1456 - 1M
  • I made my own using something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-21-5-8-Linear-Rail-1-NSK-LU15-Bearing-Block-/250982820054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6fbde8d6

It cost me like 30$ all together. The one in the link is a bit more expensive than what I bought although it was the same type.

• I got some bearing wheels on Ebay, used L shaped shelf brackets from hardware store (Home Depot), and made some wheels for the slider. To get the wheels on the brackets, I just cut up a post it note and wrapped the paper around the bracket peg so it is a tight fit. I used rubber O-rings (also from Home Depot) for rolling on hard surface.

Slider1.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 216K
    Slider2.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 179K
  • @Fosterchen Are you able to get a smooth motion with this thing? I ordered the one from opteka or whomever and it was worthless. It couldn't handle any weight besides pany glass on the camera. I think it was the thinnest version. Which one do you have?

• @Kihlian That things more than the motor for the Konova slider!!!!! Wow

• Yeah I got the thinnest cheapest one. Before I would loosen the drylins all the way just to get it running. It still works, but I hardly find the time to pull it out of the bag on jobs.

It's not smooth on concrete, but you can get nice pan and tilt shots (quick & slow) without being on the ground. Indoor hardwood/laminate works best. If you really need that outdoor shot, just take along a plank of laminate flooring or something similarly flat and smooth. PVC pipes would also work.

I've also got a pulley system made out of spare parts from my Gini Rig and a bearing wheel I got from taking apart some gym equipment. I'll post pics of that soon.

AND, I've even tried mounting it on a tripod for a mini jib effect...still working on it!

• Be very careful not to scratch Igus rail !! Transport it in bubble wrap and "baby" it on your shoots. Slightest scratch will impede smooth motion. No way to repair scratches that I have ever read about. So consider all models of slider before jumping at this, because it may turn out to be false economy. Smooth while it lasts.

• If you use the linear bearing like what I linked above, the rail is hardened steel. It doesn't bend and it's very hard to scratch, although you need to be careful not to let it rust!