Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shopping for new hdslr
  • I shoot a lot of classical music. Gh2 got old and I've tried bmpcc and nx1. Both produced aliasing beyond the gh2 levels. So I need something less prone to aliasing and moire. Specifically black lacquer pianos and the line of reflected light alias at every setting. Strings also an issue. Would love 4k in camera so looking at the pannies. Would the zx1000 or g7 be a wise buy in view of my requirements? Nikon 5300?

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Is a GH4 beyond your budget?

• +1 for GH4. You will get 0 moire in 4K.

• Stair-stepping on strings is a big problem for classical music. To really get rid of it you also need to avoid certain angles. The ax100 is certainly good, but you will see a tiny, tiny amount. I just happen to like the ax100 for classical music as having the right balance of features, including handling spotlit venues, the color, the aliasing, etc. You get more resolution then the GH4 (useful if cropping and panning in post), less aliasing than the GH2 and better color for classical type outfits. Skin tones are almost as good as Canon, if you like Canon, some don't. I find that out of the box the Panny color leans towards pasty. You can rent these for a weekend to try them out. The GH4 is certainly an OK choice as well. The Sony takes cheap monster batteries, should you care about such things.

• I could probably go gh4 but in that I use double system sound I don't Need the dockage features built on the gh4's price so I was hoping to save with either the g7 or fz1000, do those two alias much? They use a different sensor than gh4?

• I'll second the AX 100 although not a DSLR. As mad as I am at Sony, I'd buy it again if need be.

• Go with the G7! I have handled and shot with it, and it is a beautiful camera! The sensor is the one from the GX7 but looks almost exactly the same as the GH4, but has less bitrate options, and no slowmotion.

• sony might be releasing the a7000 soon and it's rumored to have 4k...or if you step out of the dslr mindframe , one of their new 1" cameras might be perfect, as well as pany's forementioned fz1000

• Go GH4! Btw, you will only get zero moire and aliasing In 4k if you turn sharpness down to -3 in your preferred shooting profile

• Thanks Kurth, it's become dizzying with all these models. Panny alone, gh2, fz, g6, g7, gx7. I can't keep up

• @brianl - check out the latest a7000 rumor, if your lips need wetting !

• I am in the same boat ...trying to decide between the GH4, Sony A7S or Nikon D750 . I think this is the worst momentum to buy a new camera with the GH5 and A7S II around the corner . What do you guys think ?

• @labalbi - I'd guess....neither are around the corner !

• Surprising how hard it is finding good info on these offering. Trying to research fz1000 for example. It's all puff pieces "Panasonic raises the bar again with new member to 4k family". Do reviewers actually shoot anymore?