Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • @4CardsMan , the G6 has an older sensor. If the G7 is as good as the GX7 (and it should), then you have between 1-2 stops better iso. Also, the dynamic range is better. G6 is good on video, but stills can be improved.

• So I just got back from a Panasonic event in Toronto, Ontario for the launch of the G7! I was asked to come speak about my history with Lumix cameras and the move to 4K and how I incorporate it into my workflow.

I had the chance to use the camera and get a feel for it's workings and let me say... WOW.

This thing is light, responsive, and is a massive step up from the G6. The 4K video looks great, and the 4K photo mode has been DRASTICALLY improved on this model. With two clicks of a button you can switch into 4K photo one of 3 modes, and playback, select your frame and you're ready to go!

The body does feel less professional than the GH4 but that's what is designed for, it is made to be lighter, and more of a travel camera than it's big brother and it doesn't feel breakable or cheap by any means. The grey/black model really looks sharp in person and I think it will do very well!

The AF speed is outstanding of course, definitely on par with the GH4, and possibly a bit faster!

I'm really looking forward to bringing this camera into my arsenal as my new B camera!

All in all, the event was a success and the guests really enjoyed using the cameras! Here's a few shots of myself from the event!

P9970356.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 497K
    P9970529.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 639K
    P9970390.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 671K
    P9970448.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 517K
  • All that is good news. Video quality is the main concern.

• @tylerknight: did you use the ETC feature on 4K? To know that will be another big help to make the swicht.

• Has anyone confirmed if the HDMI out works for monitoring or recording?

• Wont the 4K output work with the upcoming BM Video Assist for recording ? Not sure why everyone is fixated on the Odyssey as the Video Assist does the same for 495$

• I don't think that BM Video Assist will do 4K. As far as I know, that's the issue there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• The BM Video specs say only 1080p.

• I'm pretty excited about this camera, I loved shooting on the g6. It was one of my favorite cameras that I've owned (dslr body style). I only wish Panasonic would release their image app for windows phones, would make my life easier. The 360 degree panorama setting is awesome. I love panorama photos, the g6 had a very good way of stitching them together as long as their wasn't drastic movement within the photo. NO HEADPHONE JACK!! WTF!!! It's 2015 Panasonic, bring this camera up to fcking date, and give us a ten cent jack to monitor our fcking audio properly you fcking slackers!!!!! make it fcking happen!!! rant over :-)

• NO HEADPHONE JACK!! WTF!!! It's 2015 Panasonic, bring this camera up to fcking date, and give us a ten cent jack to monitor our fcking audio properly you fcking slackers!!!!! make it fcking happen!!! rant over :-)

If you ask me, cameras for consumers must not have any jacks. Just smart hot shoe on top and USB-C 3.1 connector.

If you want to go advanced you install on hot shoe small universal device (also option with small shotgun included) with input and output.

More advanced? Well, device like Sony K2M (Sony hot shoes is the only one that has many additional functions). Samsung is dumber one (only one quite slow digital interface). Panasonic is dumbest.

Want to go even more advanced? Install device under the camera (ala Tascam 70D) and connect via USB connector, so you can record up to 8 discrete channels.

• Here's a video from the Toronto release I was lucky to be a part of. Sorry for the rambling, it was my first time on the opposite end of the lens!

• @tylerknight: Thanks for the video; and you are very natural in front of the camera!

• so it has cinelike d and v!

• @driftwood The HDMI output is 4k 4:2:2? And there is a recording limit?

• And there is a recording limit?

For limits see previous pages, I made post with official specs.

• To the best of my knowledge it has not been clear whether there is a crop in 4K mode like GH4. Anyone know for sure? Also if in 1080P is the field of view the same as a for example GH2? It seems that most don't seem to care but it bothers me a little on GH4 and was a deal killer on EM5 MK II . I'm comfortable with the crop of Micro 4/3 but don't want to see it reduced any further.

• see cameralabs for an explanation on the 4k crop vs the gh4

• For limits see previous pages, I made post with official specs.

Bad writing, mine - I was thinking about time limits with external recorders, if the start/stop protocol that is present for Atomos recorders is present in the G7.

• I was thinking about time limits with external recorders, if the start/stop protocol that is present for Atomos recorders is present in the G7.

This thing has no limits in live view mode(if you record HDMI output) only (in all regions) and in AVCHD mode outside EU.

• @kurth Thanks that is exactly what I needed. Panasonics choice does seem rather strange but glad they reduced the crop factor a little. I have hope for GH5!

• well, this has got to be hacked to high bitrates. :)

• the hack thing is getting old now. G5, G6, GH3, GX7 - hack hack hack. Sorry never happened and it won't for the G7 either.

You want higher bitrates? GH4 You want to be happy with your work? Go out and practise