Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
18-35mm Sigma Canon mount and GH2
  • Hi all. What do you thing guys about using Sigma 18-35 1.8 only wide open on GH2 (yes i want Canon version). It is enough sharp for wide scenes (18mm i mean)? And are the cheaper adapters with build-in aperture vignetting? Sorry for my english.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Hmm. Why are you not getting the Nikon Version with a focal reducer? Sure - It´s more expensive (especially with the metabones SpeedBooster). But there you get a very nice aperture control (on the adapter), you don´t have issues with vignetting (through the adapter-internal-aperture of the cheap EF to MFT adapters) AND you´re gaining one stop of light. As a "bonus" you also get a wider angle field of view. And a used Metabones Nikon-G to MFT SpeedBooster isn´t THAT expensive either.

Btw.: If a SpeedBooster is still too pricey -> Metabones is also offering a very nice aperture control Nikon-G to MFT adapter (without the focal reducer glass). Same very nice aperture control - Which has a longer control way and better mechanics than the cheaper adapters. And I saw it already go for 60 to 80 bucks (used) on Ebay for example. Quite a bargain (and not more expensive than a good EF to MFT adapter with that weird aperture (in the adapter itself).

ABOUT YOUR EF SOLUTION:

I wouldn´t recommend that. It´s just not working well - And no one can tell you if there´s vignetting on the GH2 + 18-35mm F1.8 - As many aren´t using the smaller crop factor GH2 any more - And if, they are using the way better working Nikon edition. Sorry to say that ^^.

• Just don't buy it (or any other lens!!) in Canon mount!

It is a pain in the ass. Do the sensible thing and buy your lenses with a Nikon F mount :-D

And use the focal reducer you can get here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1

The Sigma 18-35mm with any of my GH1/G3/GF3 works just fine together. But as Tscheckoff mentioned it is a bit different with the GH2, I'd take a guess and say yes it would work... but don't hold me to that.

• Thanks guys. I was shooting by Nikon two years. Now i swtitched to Canon, becouse i more like the colours of Raw. I had lens turbo on nikon so i know about it:)

So again my question: Is sigma 18-35 wide open enough sharp for video on GH2? Thanks.

• Since folks use that glass on S-35 sensors and have it even re-housed for PL mount, I'd say: yes!

• Hmm. Stop down a little bit (to around F2.0 for example). At F1.8 is just A LITTLE BIT soft. Though on a speedbooster / focal reducer maybe even that is gone wide open ^^. (Only used it with a normal standard Nikon G adapter on a GH2.)

• I'm thinking of buying one of these lenses for my GH4. What's its range if used with just an adapter, i.e., how wide or narrow is it?

• It is perfect lens with very nice range on M43, but i sold it already - too heavy. For me its better choise combo of panasonic 20mm 1,7 and minolta 50mm 1.4.

• I am planning on buying this lens but I am not sure which mount version I should get for my GH2. Can someone confirm my understandings from below.

Using Sigma 18-35mm Canon EF mount with Metabones Speedbooster/Adapter you can't change aperture electronically nor physical?

Using Sigma 18-35mm Nikon G mount with Metabones Speedbooster/Adapter you can change aperture physically on the adapter?

• Please use proper topic for this lens

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6733/18-35mm-f1.8-sigma-dc-zoom-lens-799/p1

This is some sudden thing, I'll close it soon.