Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nebula 4000 lite, mini gimbal for GH4, A7s
  • 218 Replies sorted by
  • The price point of this device means that it becomes more readily available to consumers with little or no experience. This also means that you will get a raft of inexperienced footage shown to the masses.

I think the device is more than capable in the right hands

• This hast to be the best 699 dollars you can spend on the quality of your film making at the moment. It has already opened up so many new possibilites for me and I haven't even plugged it to a computer yet!

• This also needs a practice etc ... But it looks promising and it does not require "steady cam" super skills ... We could not even dream about this few years ago ...

• I have the Varavon Birdycam 2 and it's easier to balance and tune than this Nebula gimbal. And the footage comes out looking great. BUT it's not as mobile and can't fit into as many places as the Nebula. As mentioned back on Page 4.. I'm keeping an eye on Varavon's answer to this. I'm sure it will be a better product.

• Most of these moderate-cost brushless gimbals, including the Nebula, CAME-TV, and Varavon models, are based on the SimpleBGC series of controller boards from Basecam Electronics (formerly AlexMos).

The Nebula 4000 Lite uses the older and apparently discontinued 8-bit SimpleBGC board. Others are using the new SimpleBGC 32-bit board, which has improved performance and features like auto PID tuning, support for a second IMU (sensor module), and IMU temperature compensation. It's possible to replace an 8-bit board with a 32-bit board, but personally I just plan to wait and see if they revise the Nebula, or for a similar product with a 32-bit board to be released by another manufacturer.

The SimpleBGC controller is really the secret sauce in all of these gimbals. Otherwise it's just differences in the mechanical design, wiring, motors, and battery. If I needed a gimbal today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Nebula 4000 Lite. From the videos I've seen, it seems to perform well when properly tuned.

• Premium interesting info @balazer ! :-)

• The SimpleBGC controller is really the secret sauce in all of these gimbals. Otherwise it's just differences in the mechanical design, motors, and battery. If I needed a gimbal today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Nebula 4000 Lite. It seems to perform well when properly tuned.

SimpleBGC also is responsible for good amount of small and/or cheap gimbals price.

I think we'll see much more advanced and cheap alternatives in coming year.

• I almost got the came mini gimbal but decided to wait for a revised nebula 4000. I can't wait for a v2 to come out.

• I did not know it used the 8 bit board. Vastly inferior in everyway to the 32 bit and its software. Not as mature, fewer features. And I personally think even the new 32 bit simplebgc has a long way to go to be as useable as it should be. It's the opposite of user friendly.

If the 8bit will be end of life and unsupported going forward, that's a significant issue. No fixes, no updates.

• Question for anyone who has a nebula - How would the nebula work as a substitute for relatively small moves that would normally be done with a slider? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a versatile do-everything tool.

• You can use mode 3 on the Nebula to perform slider-like movement. The hard part will be to minimize vertical motion.

• I hope this kind of request isn't agains the rules, but is there anyone in London who has one? I'd love to get a look at it in person, and possibly even borrow/rent it for some work. Very curious about the possibilities.