Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
C-Mount Speed Booster?
  • Does anyone know of a way to get a Speed Boosted image from a C-Mount camera? I'd rather use one official Metabones Speed Booster with a second adapter than having it all in one generic Speed Booster adapter, but I'll take all idea's. Metabones currently makes MFT, NEX/E-Mount, and Fuji X Speed Boosters, so ideally I'm looking for one of those mounts to C-Mount. I'm having trouble finding such an adapter. Thanks.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • It might not be possible. for such a second adapter to be made. According to the link below, the Fuji X and NEX/E-Mounts are too close to the C-Mount flange distance. Maybe a MFT to C-Mount adapter (not C-Mount to MFT) can be made, but we're talking about only a less than 2mm difference. I think the only hope doing it in two adapters would be for Metabones to hopefully make a Samsung NX-Mount Speed Booster for the up coming Samsung NX 1 camera and someone making a NX to C-Mount adapter. There is almost 8mm to play with going that route. Or maybe Metabones will just make C-Mount Speed Boosters at some point, but I doubt it. Anyway I guess that means I'm probably looking of an all in one generic C-Mount Speed Booster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

• This is physically impossible to build for two reasons:

• the adapted lens needs to have a bigger image circle (i.e. be constructed for a bigger film/sensor format) than that of the camera's sensor. Not the case with c-mount, which covers 1" at best, in most cases only 2/3" or less.

• the adapted lens needs to have a substantially bigger flange distance to the camera's mount than native camera lenses. This means, practically, that only SLR lenses can be adapted to mirrorless mounts. c-mount has an extremely narrow flange distance - it's even narrower than Micro Four Thirds (which is why adapters are recessed into the camera mount).

As said, impossible.

• @cantsin I think he's saying he wants to use a speed booster with a c-mount camera, not get a booster for c-mount lenses. It'd be very possible to build a speed booster from EF or Nikon F mount to a c-mount if someone decided they really wanted to.

• Wild idea... I love it!

Are you shooting on old S16 or something new, like a Digital Bolex?

• @JuMo Neither actually. I'm thinking about buying the FPS1000 I talk about in the link below, but such an adapter would most certainly benefit any C-Mount camera. In fact I'd love to see such an adapter in action on a film camera. I know the kids at my old film school would be all over such an adapter.

FPS1000 thread: http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/11662/high-speed-10-bit-raw-2.5k-camera-with-a-1-inch-sensor-1600#Item_3

• Well, there are not many C-mount lenses around which would cover a 1" sensor – that's even a tad more than S-16…

• It is possible to make an MFT to C-mount adapter. But I don't think such a thing exists today.

• @cantsin @nomad

Did you even read my posts? I want any DSLR lens to mount to a C-Mount camera through a Speed Booster like adapter via one or two adapters.

@balazer

This is my thought as well. If you ever run across one please post the info here. Thanks.

Thanks to @eatstoomuchjam @JuMo and @balazer who actually read my posts and understand what I'm looking for.

• Sorry, I had stumbled over the wording "a Speed Boosted image from a C-Mount camera" (thought a lens taken from a c-mount camera was meant, not adapting a lens to a c-mount camera with a Speed Booster in between).

Digital Bolex has announced an MFT mount for their camera. If it's an adapter for its c-mount, it might work for your purpose.

• @cantsin Interesting! Though because of the flange distance between C-Mount and M4/3 I'm going to guess this is a mount replacement instead of an adapter. I just can't see an adapter physically being able to work (if you've ever used a C-Mount to M4/3 adapter, you'll know first hand how little room there is.