Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Anamorphic rendering in Sony Vegas Pro 11
  • Hey all, I shoot on a Panasonic GH2 with an Iscorama anamorph 2x lens. I seem to have an issue with rendering to a stretched format for anamorphic viewing. 

For project properties I can set it to 3840x1080, but in the render options under custom templates. It won't allow me to use a custom 3840x1080 under the custom project size, for rendering under QuickTime which is the codec I always use. It changes to a random project size of 2048x1152 when I enter the values I want. I have no issues when using a squeezed format, but I'm trying to do a stretched format.

I appreciate anyones help and tips! Thanks

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, What version of Sony Vegas?Perhaps it seems like the codec has a limitation above 2k?

I think there are a few ways to deal with this but as I use a bolex with a squeeze factor of 1.5. I just type 1.5 in the pixel ratio box in the project settings and all is well. I must say I render to Cineform which has no spacial limitation. In your case you could just type 2.0 and see what happens. You can set it to full UHD with black bars or 1080 vertical. It should do the de-squeeze and fit it all in - then try a short loop render to something else like mp4 to see if it is a quicktime limitation. You could also try uncompressed YUV. Cheers

• Most of Vegas's internal renderers don't support output wider than 2048, but AVI does. Set the AVI output size to "use project settings", and then set the project size however you want. You can use the Sony YUV, Sony 10-bit YUV, or ffdshow-tryouts codecs inside of AVI. The Sony YUV AVI codecs are really just standard uncompressed YUV. ffdshow supports MPEG-2 output, and it's fast. You can use ffmpeg to remux an MPEG-2 AVI to .mpg or mp4 afterwards.

• @henryo @balazer

I'll have to try those techniques. Will those codecs play easy with video players like VLC, QuickTime player, etc.

Thanks!

• VLC will probably play them. Not sure about QuickTime. They are only suitable as intermediate formats, not for distribution.

• I see, I would need a codec that can do both immediate and distribution.

• @balazer

I tried using the Sony YUV and Sony YUV 10-bit to render with, but when I play my videos in VLC player they skip or delay.

• Yes, they are uncompressed video and the bit rate may be too high for your hard drive to support real-time playback. They are only suitable as intermediate formats.

• @balazer

I see, also I'm having trouble setting up the ffdshow codec, I have no idea what to choose there all these options and windows. lol

• Seriously - request a trial of Cineform. It solves a few of your issues in one stroke. No spacial limit, a fraction the size of uncompressed, has the ability for clip grading and much more.

• For the ffdshow-tryouts AVI encoder in Sony Vegas, the default configuration should work: MPEG-2 encoder in one-pass quantizer mode with a quantizer value of 1, B-frames enabled, and "store frames to AVI" enabled.

• @balazer

For some reason under the encoder tab I can only choose MJPEG, huffYUV, ffv1, dv, uncompressed. Theres no MPEG-2, etc. to choose from. I seem to be missing something here?

• Yeah, you have to install ffdshow-tryouts. When you render, set the type to AVI. Customize and set the video format to ffdshow. Then configure it and set the encoder to MPEG-2.

• @balazer

I did download it, but the mpeg-2 codec still isn't in the encoder tab.

• ffdshow.png
    560 x 536 - 18K
    ffdshow.png
    1279 x 712 - 48K
  • @balazer

I see, I'll try that out. I had downloaded the newest one. I guess that's why I'm limited to the codec choices. Thanks

• @balazer

I finally downloaded it, and it all worked well, Thanks!