Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Editing progressive video for interlace delivery
  • If my final delivery is dvd what is the advantage of filming and editing in progressive if the final dvd will be interlaced?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Huh, because camera is shooting progressive, and believe me - you never want to even hear about work with interlaced.

As for DVD, if your client demand it, you just set proper encoder format.

• What Vitaliy said.

• arent all dvds interlaced? thanx for sharing your knowlege

• The progressive 'look' simulates film, whereas interlaced looks like video. If you shoot progressive, it will always look that way, even if it gets transmitted interlaced.

• Well that's not true. Depends on the frame rate it was shot at and how it is converted.

• Utter bollocks. A progressive frame is composed of two fields that are the same. An interlaced frame Is composed of two fields that are different. A progressive frame will always look progressive no matter if it's inside an interlaced wrapper.

• what mrbill said; to nitpick, the two fields are not the same, they are taken at the same moment in time. They represent different information (odd/even scan lines).

• radikalfilm is correct. To answer the OP's question; The advantage is that you are dealing with progressive frames which means in the post-production process you do not have to deal with the issues that interlaced footage can have. There is nothing wrong with shooting and delivering interlaced, as it is all about the final delivery. I shoot progressive for non broadcast delivery and interlaced for broadcasters that require it. Just do some reading and learn what the two formats are, and how to deal with the issues.

• mrbill, the look is mostly about the field or frame rate, not whether it's interlaced or progressive. 60p looks more like video than it looks like film. And the type of conversion matters. If you shoot 60p, for example, and convert it to 30i by dropping every other frame and splitting the remaining frames into fields, it will look rather like film even though it's interlaced. If you convert 60p to 30i by taking a field from each frame, it will look like interlaced video. If you convert 30i to 30p by de-interlacing, it will look like film. If you convert 30i to 60p by de-interlacing, it will look like video. And I won't get into frame interpolation conversions.

And to nitpick even more, a progressive frame is not composed of fields. Only interlaced frames are composed of fields, including PsF frames. Interlacing is not a wrapper. It's a format.