Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • @joe1946 That is amazing, my wife's gonna be pissed when I come home with a telescope tomorrow ;)

• Just did a quick test shot this evening with a Kit Lens from GX7, the Pany 14-42 and a 45-200. Not that expensive lenses, but the quality from this camera is outstanding even with Kit lenses outdoors. Love my GH4.

• got my gh4 but for some reason can not get it to film at c4k can any one tell me how to get it to shoot in that mode

• @jaycass you need to select 24Hz in the system frequency settings found on page 5/6 in the setup menu :)

• @matthere thanks just did that and it worked :)

• The compression is so bad. I'll try to upload a better version. All Available light. Cine D.

• So.. who's making the report to Panasonic about the audio bug?

• Some thought from playing around a bit this week and last:

• Focus peaking is very very good. I use manual lenses so it makes things easier. I prefer the low setting as it picks up more edges.
    • I'm still learning to get the hang of using zebras. I think I prefer keeping them at 100% and then adjust exposure as needed.
    • I really like the monochrome live view, it especially complements focus peaking very well.
    • I tried Mercalli v3 to stabilize 4k clips and am amazed at how well it works to get rid of microshakes and jitter. I was filming a concert using Voigtlander 42.5 handheld and after stabilization it looked rock steady. There is a bug in the software however... it compresses 0-255 mov into 16-235 colorspace.
    • very glad that shutter angle can be saved into a custom preset, no more frantic shutter changes when going from photo to video.
    • I'm not a fan of using a VF but GH4>>GH3. LCD is also clearly improved.
    • Sharpness when viewing 4k on a 1080 monitor is incredible.
    • No problems using Transcend 64gb UHS-1 class 3
  • Screen capture from the 4K moon video taken with the GH4

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14134515692_c6936b71fa_o.jpg

• Flycam Nano + GH4. Coming from the GH2, I'm absolutely in LOVE with the GH4.

• First quick test with my Lomo anamorphic prime lenses. Cinelike D. 4k UHD down to 1080p.

4K grabs: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjXmoFMh

• @x_worpig_x What are you settings on the video you posted at 11:50am?

• @T1000 Settings were: Shot with 20mm fd 2.8 at f4, 4k 24.00p, iso 640(i think), Cine D, -5 -3 -3 -5 0, shadow +2, highlights -2, 180* shutter angle. Graded in Premiere with Film convert + 3 way color.

• I''ve seen a lot of 4K, and it looks great. How does 1080P look?

• Am I right in assuming that when I shoot longer videos the files will be saved in 4GB chunks on the memory card? Also I could not find any functions in the software that came with the camera to merge the 4GB files.

• @curtisMack in my opinion 1080p looks quite similar to GH3, except of course if you use the new profiles.

• @AdamT does the extra mbps make a difference in 1080p MOV mode with the GH4 vs GH3?

• @azza_act If the extra mbs makes a difference it's awfully subtle. All-I is definitely better with the GH4 but IMO it's still not as good as 100mbs IPB.

Bottom line is that what DOES make a big difference is shooting 4K and downscaling it to 1080p.

• Here's a gross hack for anyone wanting to batch-tweak their RAW stills so that Adobe products will read them. As @joesiv mentioned back on April 24th, doing this won't include any camera-specific optimizations Adobe may come up with when they start supporting the GH4. So it's best to hack a copy of your originals and re-import when the official stuff comes out.

So here's the hack: in a *nix command line (Terminal.app on Mac):

cd theFolderYourCopiedRW2sAreIn
    for x in * ;do echo -ne \x33 | dd conv=notrunc bs=1 count=1 oseek=890 of=$x; done

Anyone want to suggest a more user-friendly way?

• The slowmo 96fps looks better than 720p.

• Not much! I am really not impressed with the quality of the 96fps!

I am going to get the gh4 regardless because it is absolutely amazing besides that!

• I think it's quite a bit better. Comparatively to the clean 60p it's no match, but it's not too bad. Is it worth the extra 36p? I think so in some cases. Nice to have options. No it's not an FS700/Red, so I'll let it off this time :).