Personal View site logo
I believe know why Coppola chose the GH2 at Zacuto Revenge Shootout 2012
  • I watch some movies I subtracted master Coppola, including an excellent thriller 'The Conversation' of his early years. My first reaction just came out the first pictures is that it looks like when you combine the GH2 or GH1 with old lenses for its look and color, but the texture of the film different though but not as radical.

I think what Coppola to see shots of the GH2 was somewhat familiar with this movie great unknown but which he felt so proud. I'd love to ask him about it, but that is almost impossible.

Excuse me if this thread its trivial and offtopic, but wanted to share this impression.

And I recommend to all screenwriters and directors see this movie frugal, sometimes with limited resources and without a very complex story, but well told and surprising elements can do a good job in this case is a masterpiece.

Attached some pictures of it.

PS: Sorry for my poor English.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Absolutely, I'm with you. "The Conversation" is a masterpiece.

• You still need good colour grading to get the hue and tone of The Conversation, but I know where you are coming from. If I could get close to the colours in that masterpiece in my own film, i would be an elated man ;)

• I love The Conversation, too. I wouldn't say it's all that unknown in the States, it's just that he happened to make Godfather 2 the SAME YEAR! But as far as the topic goes, I kind of get what you're saying, but I bet if you looked at his recent pictures - shot in HD video formats - like Twixt or Youth Without Youth, even the black and white Tetro, you'd see more of what he might have liked with the GH2s image, and it's nothing to do with looking backwards, or going retro, or simulating film, or any of that.

If any major filmmaker would be cool with you bending his ear a little on the topic, I'd bet on Coppola to be the one. Even if you don't like his pictures, he's an inspiring figure, and seems like a very sweet man (he's like us after all, self financing his work! If only we had some of that wine and resort money...).