Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • Do stills use the FM2.2 settings? I was playing with the HS Burst mode last evening (with limited success) and the camera loaded with 2.2

• @LPowell Any future updates pending for flowmotion? just curious because this is my favorite patch to use and I've been reading about driftwoods new "Apocalypse Now" patch; and driftwood and cbrandin seem to put something good together. Will we be seeing anything like this added to flowmotion? Sorry if I am a bother asking this question, or if I am writing this in the wrong section. Much thanks to LPowell for this awesome flowmotion patch cheers.

• @LPowell Please answer a few questions. This is very important. - whether it is possible to shoot in 24H with bitrate 100 Mbit/s with a SD 45 MB/s. - Necessarily buy a SD card with 95 MB/s?
    - And in which case (45MB / s or 95mb / s) can comfortably view the footage in the camera? Thank you.

• @ConstantineVanHorne . I am using the Flowmotion patch shooting 24H 100Mbit/s with an SD 45 MB/s. I have not had any problems yet.

• @ConstantineVanHorne I designed and tested Flow Motion v2 to reliably record and play back in-camera in all video modes, using standard 30MB/sec Class 10 SD cards and higher. For more details on Flow Motion's capabilities, check out the first post in this thread.

• Going back to the 30 fps issue discussed earlier...(about to apply the hack to v1.1, and I want to use the GH-2 for professional handheld work) it seems clear that at 1080 /24FPS the improvement will be large--24 FPS handheld looked bad on the unhacked camera even with the Panny OIS lens, but I was able to do decent 1080 / 30FPS handheld work recently with an unhacked GH-2 and the new 12-35mm 2.8 lens, using the AF mode a lot. Can I expect improvement in terms of jitter doing handheld at 30 FPS after the hack?

• Here are unedited 200% crop frame grabs from back-to-back videos taken with a Lumix X 45-175mm f4-5.6 @ 45mm f8, ISO 200. The first was shot with Flow Motion v2.02 and the second with Apocalypse Now 6-GOP 444 Soft. The original downloadable video files can be seen here:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-all-class-10-sd-cards/p16

Flow Motion v2.02 @ HBR 1080p30: image

Apocalypse Now 6-GOP 444 Soft @ HBR 1080p30: image

The FM2 video has an average bitrate of 65Mbps with DC quantizers of 6-7, range 5.

The AN6 soft video has an average bitrate of 56Mbps with DC quantizers of 7-8, range 5.

• @lpowell: Interesting comparision. But i think a comparison with 24p would interest people the most. Since that is what most people use.

• Here's pretty much a hodge-podge of footage cut into something that sorta holds together, all shot w/ Flowmotion. Mostly Voigtlander 17.5, Pan/Leica 25, and Nikkor 35. 24p. Just trying for different lighting situations, some landscape shots, talking shots, inserts. Skip ahead the first minute if you don't want to watch the old timey commercials, which are my mood setter I guess. There's also some footage of John Cassavetes intercut, which is obviously not GH2. I've never really learned how to embed a video...

• Flowmotion and Apple Motion on some of my mates at gym.

• @zcream Very creative! Loved the look of the slow motion on the spotlighted blue floor.

• couple of flow motion 2.02 tests i did

• btw, speaking of third party batteries on page 15. I have one original battery and one third party battery. when i use the third party battery (DELTA 7.4V 950mAh for DMW-BLC12 li-ion) with my GH2, the screen does NOT show how much juice it has left. i've been really skeptic about it and haven't used it since. And even now, reading that someones GH2 died maybe for this third party batteries issue. hmm..

• @tasaraha That's normal for 3rd market batteries. They aren't chipped for the display. I use Wasabi's and they are 100% reliable but I know about how long they last and swap long before I get there....and yes, when they're dead one of two things will happen. They may just shut down without saving the file or they may hold out until you hit the shutter button to stop recording, then shut down without saving the file.

It's good to save files often.

• @peternap thanks buddy. sounds like playing on thin ice if you don't know how long the battery plays.

• @peternap @tasaraha I have Wasabi as well. After about 1 year, i "feel" the life of them has degraded... so dont trust estimated times for too long. I now ONLY use the Wasabi as an emergency backup when im running and gunning.

I still get great performance outta the stock and use a DIY power pack for my longer shoots. HOWEVER, the real danger in using 3rd party is when your applying a PATCH to your camera. Thats what kills most cameras, although a sharp loss of power during recording probably isnt too good for your camera either. (I fully charge my kit battery and ONLY use that to flash my camera.)

Tasaraha, the only time your gonna see a battery level is when your using the kit batteries. Everything else wont show a level on your camera.

• @daihard Gotta watch out when applying a patch. Good to know, thanks! Man, my 3rd party battery looks so fishy. It works without any issues, but I think i'll just kill my wallet a bit to get some original stock batteries. I had a canon 7d and all kinds of wierd 3rd party batteries without any issues. time to play smart with the GH2.

• I agree on the patch. I use fully charged OEM when flashing the cameras. I've done it hundreds of times and still get that queasy feeling. If your battery dies while it;s flashing the camera or you hit any buttons during the process, it'll brick the camera.

• HELP!

I Used flow motion v2.02 for the first time tonight, and I recorded a 9 minute clip that at first wouldn't playback in camera, it would say "this motion picture cannot be played" or something like that. So, I turned off the camera & turned it back on thinking it might fix the problem, but then now the clip wasn't even showing up at all..

So then I put the SD card into my computer and as it turns out, the file is actually there, but neither VLC nor Clip Wrap can open the file.. this particular clip is important to me, am I at a loss??

• @omarkenji I take it the video was recorded in a single MTS file? Try importing the file into a video editor where you can examine the its timeline. If that doesn't work, contact me via PM. If you can send me a copy, I'll be happy to examine it.

• @omarkenji Take a look here for general info: http://how-to-blog.tv/technical/corrupted-avchd-files/

There is also a tool from Panasonic itself that will scan the whole SD and revover anything that looks like a videoclip.

• I'm making some extreme low lighting tests using flowmotion and iso160. The only light in the room is the lcd monitor. I liked a lot.

Low light 4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Low light 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Here two short test filmed in some ghost towns in Italy. Nothing special , is just for share with You my satisfaction of Flowmotion 2.02 pacth . I did two hours shot without any issue or stop recording at all !! I want to say THANK general @LPowell , Vitaliy ,and to all those who have worked hard for us

and some crazy stuff LOL

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions